• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage August Auction

301 posts in this topic

As for the Twisted Tales cover..... Bernie covers are starting to go extremely high. His artwork in general has gone up considerably lately. I'd low end guess 8-10k, but would not be surprised if it was driven higher.

Considering this splash sold for $15K years ago, I would think the Twisted Tales cover would be more.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=391227

As for the Twisted Tales cover..... Bernie covers are starting to go extremely high. His artwork in general has gone up considerably lately. I'd low end guess 8-10k, but would not be surprised if it was driven higher.

Considering this splash sold for $15K years ago, I would think the Twisted Tales cover would be more.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=391227

No comparison. The Black Cat page is prime time Wrightson and even though it's a splash rather than a cover, much more desirable to me than this later cover.

Scott

You would know better than me (I'm not even sure when that black cat was published) but it looks mid to late 70s to me and I think of early 70s (say 70-74) as prime time.

I get your point though, even if my guess on the date is correct, its closer to prime time than the later piece.

I think the twisted tales cover is considered a bit of a modern classic (the printed piece) but I find the OA for it a bit disappointing.

I'd call them even but I think the black cat result was strong. I'll guess 10-12k on the twisted tales.

But, anyone with an actual clue on this market (unlike myself) please chime in.

For reference sake, IIRC Black Cat was Wrightson's first post-DC effort. The reason he left DC was, in part, that reproduction during the printing process was lousy & he didn't like seeing his hard work go for naught. When he drew Black Cat he went out of his way to showcase his skills in the new format & it really showed. That's why a splash from that story can fetch $25k.

I dont see that Twisted Tales going for only 7k. I am by no means a Wrightson expert but I see 15k+ on that one. It is great and its big but a little too gory even for me,lol. Now the Hanover Fiste stealing the chickens..That one I would love!!!

thanks

Matthew

For reference sake, IIRC Black Cat was Wrightson's first post-DC effort. The reason he left DC was, in part, that reproduction during the printing process was lousy & he didn't like seeing his hard work go for naught. When he drew Black Cat he went out of his way to showcase his skills in the new format & it really showed. That's why a splash from that story can fetch $25k.

I don't know about you but I discount stories like that even when (maybe especially when) they are straight from the artist. Ego, work relationships, all sorts of other things come into the mix. I trust my eyes and my eyes tell me that black cat page is nice and all but Ive also seen better DC pages and IMO the price probably has to do as much with the axe in the skull as anything else. 2c. That's my view from the peanut gallery anyway .

I don't know about you but I discount stories like that even when (maybe especially when) they are straight from the artist. Ego, work relationships, all sorts of other things come into the mix. I trust my eyes and my eyes tell me that black cat page is nice and all but Ive also seen better DC pages and IMO the price probably has to do as much with the axe in the skull as anything else. 2c. That's my view from the peanut gallery anyway .

Respectfully, totally disagree. I'm not going to conjecture on why Wrightson went to Warren after DC. I remember reading the stories and interviews from the time and frankly just don't remember or care all that much. But from a COMIC ART standpoint, Wrightson's Warren work is widely considered his pinnacle. Key Swampthing art will understandable command more $$$$, and the Frankenstein stuff is considered the magnum opus, but the Warren years is an artist hitting full stride, experimenting (and succeeding wildly) with different drawing and inking techniques with each successive story and pinup. The fact that Wrightson was a master of black and white and that Warren allowed his work to be seen in all it's B&W glory didn't hurt either.

And yeah, the ax in the skull being a big splashy climax moment doesn't hurt at all.

2c

Scott

Do people really think this'll be anything less than 10K? It's a nice cover from over 30 years ago. Yes, Wrightson was at his height in the mid-70s, but is 1982 really a far cry from that? I'd say 15K solidly, maybe more.

Do people really think this'll be anything less than 10K? It's a nice cover from over 30 years ago. Yes, Wrightson was at his height in the mid-70s, but is 1982 really a far cry from that? I'd say 15K solidly, maybe more.

Agree. I'll eat my shorts if this hammers under $15K.

+1

Scott

+1

Scott

Damn, Scott. You'll eat HIS shorts too?

When is the live auction (for the vintage OA section) is it Thursday 7th, Friday 8th or Saturday 9th ?. I'll be traveling that weekend and really don't want to miss this one...and I can still maybe swing some stuff around so I'll be in a hotel with a PC when it goes live :wishluck:

:whatthe:

It's a very nice cover, and it certainly could hammer at $15K ($17,925 w/the BP) or greater, but I definitely wouldn't be confident enough to wager any shorts-eating on that. :sick: