• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Amazing Fantasy #15 - From .5 to 5.0

64 posts in this topic

When restoring a book with the intention of having it graded, there is a core problem. Based on one experiment, and a conversation with CGC, it is my understanding the restoration of a remainder with a "color copy" would result in either an "incomplete", "amateur", or both. Since I am only interested in complete professional results, I won't bother with "color copies".

That's something I disagree greatly with CGC on.

Whether it's a professional copy or hand drawn is really irrelevant if it's an attempt at restoration. I wonder why they decided to make it that way.

Why did you draw the cover in by hand?

What would you think my other options were?

There are several techniques for transferring large pieces. One involves making a high resolution print and grafting it onto the book. And, before you say anything, it's a lot more complicated than just making a color copy and gluing it on.

That's what I was thinking...or I was wondering why you didn't use something like this:

On the inside I could have used my ink transfer method to replace the ad, but I decided to get this from another book.

Sorry I am so far behind in the conversation. I enjoy the feedback, so these are great questions. I am always looking for new and better ways to do what I do, so thanks.

First, I want to make sure you understand how I did this particular book. I leaf-casted the book including the remainder area. I then drew the front by hand, and filled in the color with acrylics. The inside is a ad from another book, which was glued over the casted paper.

Okay, so why didn't I use my ink transfer on the front instead of drawing it by hand? The answer depends on whether we are talking about color too, or just the black lines.

If I used a color transfer, I would be concerned that it would be considered a "color copy". I will address why that is an issue farther down the post.

As far as just black transfer, that may have been a better way to do it. I will have to weight the pro's and con's, and do some experiments. One complication is the off-white ct would have to be done first, then black ink, then colors. That might not seem like a big deal at first, but comic restoration is just not as straight forward as it seems. (:

So why don't I just use a "color copy" to fill in the remainder?

If it is going to be a raw restored book, then it could just come down to customer preference, but I would advise against it unless it was the only realistic option.

When restoring a book with the intention of having it graded, there is a core problem. Based on one experiment, and a conversation with CGC, it is my understanding the restoration of a remainder with a "color copy" would result in either an "incomplete", "amateur", or both. Since I am only interested in complete professional results, I won't bother with "color copies".

Remember, if you have more questions and I don't respond immediately, it is because I am busy, and the answer is of length.

Great job on the book. Is the front cover thicker in the area where ad is glued onto the leaf casted cover or did the entire inside page get glued onto the cover?

Whether it's a professional copy or hand drawn is really irrelevant if it's an attempt at restoration. I wonder why they decided to make it that way.

After thinking this through, I probably know why.

Because it becomes a slippery slope whereby they would be giving grades to books with entire repro covers and interiors.

I think rather than drawing the line at mechanical vs. human reproduction though, they should draw the line at a percentage of the page being repaired.

For example, making it a 30% of the front (or back) cover rule, so 15% of the entire book, would enable restorers to better restore many of the remaindered copies out there with better appeal than a hand drawn image.

Why did you draw the cover in by hand?

What would you think my other options were?

There are several techniques for transferring large pieces. One involves making a high resolution print and grafting it onto the book. And, before you say anything, it's a lot more complicated than just making a color copy and gluing it on.

That's what I was thinking...or I was wondering why you didn't use something like this:

On the inside I could have used my ink transfer method to replace the ad, but I decided to get this from another book.

Sorry I am so far behind in the conversation. I enjoy the feedback, so these are great questions. I am always looking for new and better ways to do what I do, so thanks.

First, I want to make sure you understand how I did this particular book. I leaf-casted the book including the remainder area. I then drew the front by hand, and filled in the color with acrylics. The inside is a ad from another book, which was glued over the casted paper.

Okay, so why didn't I use my ink transfer on the front instead of drawing it by hand? The answer depends on whether we are talking about color too, or just the black lines.

If I used a color transfer, I would be concerned that it would be considered a "color copy". I will address why that is an issue farther down the post.

As far as just black transfer, that may have been a better way to do it. I will have to weight the pro's and con's, and do some experiments. One complication is the off-white ct would have to be done first, then black ink, then colors. That might not seem like a big deal at first, but comic restoration is just not as straight forward as it seems. (:

So why don't I just use a "color copy" to fill in the remainder?

If it is going to be a raw restored book, then it could just come down to customer preference, but I would advise against it unless it was the only realistic option.

Remember, if you have more questions and I don't respond immediately, it is because I am busy, and the answer is of length.

Great job on the book. Is the front cover thicker in the area where ad is glued onto the leaf casted cover or did the entire inside page get glued onto the cover?

Just the area that was missing.

Ooh, looks awesome! Mike does pressing for me, and I just got a batch in yesterday from CGC that I was really, really happy with. I've got another batch of comics to mail him tomorrow. I second your recommendation.

Just wanted to show everyone the great work MastrCntrlProgram did with my rag copy of Amazing Fantasy #15. It took a lot of time and patience, but I am thrilled with the result, and proud to show off what a beautiful book I have now. I can't say enough great things about the work Mike (MastrCntrlProgram) does, and I would highly recommend him for all restoration and conservation needs:

Before:

11916842556_0720aa3611_c.jpg

11916238133_4658f37606_c.jpg

After:

14052453378_b54d3315c7_c.jpg

14259282353_71a5483763_c.jpg

Ooh, looks awesome! Mike does pressing for me, and I just got a batch in yesterday from CGC that I was really, really happy with. I've got another batch of comics to mail him tomorrow. I second your recommendation.

Just wanted to show everyone the great work MastrCntrlProgram did with my rag copy of Amazing Fantasy #15. It took a lot of time and patience, but I am thrilled with the result, and proud to show off what a beautiful book I have now. I can't say enough great things about the work Mike (MastrCntrlProgram) does, and I would highly recommend him for all restoration and conservation needs:

Before:

11916842556_0720aa3611_c.jpg

11916238133_4658f37606_c.jpg

After:

14052453378_b54d3315c7_c.jpg

14259282353_71a5483763_c.jpg

I'm still dying to know how much something like this would cost.... :tonofbricks:

I'm still dying to know how much something like this would cost.... :tonofbricks:

Wild guess would be somewhere between $1500-2500

Wild guess would be somewhere between $1500-2500

(thumbs u

This is bananas. Great work Mike. I have never seen such beautiful Resto. The tape stains- Wow.

Thanks for noticing the tape stain removal, that is actually exhausting work. It takes hours upon hours, using suction and strong organic solvents to pull the adhesive out, and is uncomfortable with all the protection I wear.