• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Anti-Communist Comics!
8 8

638 posts in this topic

I also think in this case is no big issue, but I always prefer at least to ask the creator/artist (if still alive) for permission, it’s just a matter of gratitude and respect.

I will surely do with Joe Sinnott, if I decide about Pope John biography, Crandall could prove more difficult.

On the publisher’s part I guess it would be mostly a non-issue, I guess, as most of the Treasure Chest material is already in the public domain and my interest would not be in a commercial scale reprint.

That is very useful Mark, thanks for the information.

So I guess the better way to try to contact them in case one wants to publish something (albeit on a non-commercial basis) would be to write to the American Catholic History Research Center and University Archives site, which has put online some TC material: http://www.aladin0.wrlc.org/gsdl/collect/treasure/treasure.shtml

I also tried contacting numerous Catholic organizations, and no one was really able to provide any substantive information. In fact most never heard of the Guild.

If you contact anyone and they actually have knowledge, let me know!!! (thumbs u

Why not just reprint the stories and see if anyone comes a calling...what's the worst that could happen?

I can represent you if you get sued. (thumbs u

And I work for comics. :gossip:

That is very useful Mark, thanks for the information.

So I guess the better way to try to contact them in case one wants to publish something (albeit on a non-commercial basis) would be to write to the American Catholic History Research Center and University Archives site, which has put online some TC material: http://www.aladin0.wrlc.org/gsdl/collect/treasure/treasure.shtml

I also tried contacting numerous Catholic organizations, and no one was really able to provide any substantive information. In fact most never heard of the Guild.

If you contact anyone and they actually have knowledge, let me know!!! (thumbs u

Why not just reprint the stories and see if anyone comes a calling...what's the worst that could happen?

I can represent you if you get sued. (thumbs u

And I work for comics. :gossip:

Put me down for a copy! (thumbs u

My Cardinal Mindszenty has arrived (bought as a VF-):

q8NOZHDl.jpg

Large picture: http://i.imgur.com/q8NOZHD.jpg

Paper is low quality, I understand that Sqeggs slab scan is probably color-saturated, but my copy looks pretty pale in color, wonder if these are the correct color.

The art looks pretty good compared to that of "Is This Tomorrow", also the story looks written pretty good. I’m very happy. :)

My Cardinal Mindszenty has arrived (bought as a VF-):

q8NOZHDl.jpg

Large picture: http://i.imgur.com/q8NOZHD.jpg

Paper is low quality, I understand that Sqeggs slab scan is probably color-saturated, but my copy looks pretty pale in color, wonder if these are the correct color.

The art looks pretty good compared to that of "Is This Tomorrow", also the story looks written pretty good. I’m very happy. :)

Nice looking book. From the stamp, it appears to have originated in Minneapolis, which was, I think, also the home of the Catechetical Guild.

Hi Sqeggs, thanks. :)

Now I have put it back in the box, but I think the Guild‘s address is there. I think the seller would have reported if it’s a file copy?

Metropolis (not where I bought it, just as an example) uses to report if they are file copies, but maybe you should be aware of it.

These books where the paper is the same as the inside pages are tough to grade. Between 6.0 and 8.0 they look pretty much the same. It’s a nice copy nonetheless.

Do the colors correspond to your slab?

If you should need some scan of the insides just let me know, given your copy is slabbed. (thumbs u

Hi Sqeggs, thanks. :)

Now I have put it back in the box, but I think the Guild‘s address is there. I think the seller would have reported if it’s a file copy?

Metropolis (not where I bought it, just as an example) uses to report if they are file copies, but maybe you should be aware of it.

These books where the paper is the same as the inside pages are tough to grade. Between 6.0 and 8.0 they look pretty much the same. It’s a nice copy nonetheless.

Do the colors correspond to your slab?

If you should need some scan of the insides just let me know, given your copy is slabbed. (thumbs u

The Guild was apparently actually in St Paul, while the Paulist Brothers, whose stamp is on your copy, are in Minneapolis. So, they may not have been directly related to the Guild. We can speculate that they were another Catholic organization that was interested in spreading the message about the Mindszenty trial.

My copy does appear as if it might be a tad brighter than yours, although I think your copy appears to be structurally better.

Thank you for offer to scan the insides, but I have read the interior. I agree with you that the art is a cut about the art in "Is This Tomorrow."

A raw copy of the 1950 edition of "If the Devil Would Talk" sold last Sunday in a Heritage auction (I think it was -- I follow so many auctions sometimes I lose track!) Did you by chance win it?

A 9.6 slabbed copy of the 1950 edition is up in their auction later this month.

Thanks for the explanation: the Paulist Brothers just appear as the occasional branch of a religious order (US founded, I have found information on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulist_Fathers ), and as any other catholic venue they of course distributed any material deemed important for information.

I did not bid on the "If the Devil Would Talk" book. Maybe it’s not so clear from my posts, but I am not strictly interested in anti-communist propaganda per se, rather in how the political or cultural aspect intertwines with the spiritual problems teologically raised by communism as an ideology. In US culture the two seem more intertwined than elsewhere, or at least pretty differently. With catholicism being subordinate to a generalized protestant culture, the stances taken against communism have less shades than elsewhere, and they seem somewhat unified.

Besides this, I would not spend much money in those: I have little and prefer to save it for golden age books related maybe indirectly to these matters (I love the Marvel family books, for example), and I would not collect slabbed copies as I would eventually have to break them out. :)

Just so you know who you’re fighting against in bidding wars: not me! lol

Edited by vaillant

Recent pick-ups. Been looking for "Yalta To Korea" for a while...

The FR CAN "Is This Tomorrow" wasn't on my radar, but saw it at the right price for... :takeit:

The English language version of the Canadian edition of Is This Tomorrow is scarce enough; I've never before seen a copy of the French language version. Where did you find it?

Edited by Sqeggs