• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Anti-Communist Comics!
8 8

638 posts in this topic

These were my raw copies.

IfanABombFallscgc60.jpg

IfanABombFallscgc40.jpg

Those are great! From your scans, looks like CGC was a bit tough on them.

When did you get your second (third?) copy? Any differences between the copies/versions?

I don't believe they are different. I've bought one or two through ebay and one copy through the boards.

@esquirecomics: Are you a dealer?

Sorry for the question, but I am italian and quite new on the forum.

Indeed, the Canadian edition of "Is this tomorrow is very nice".

I have just collected the entire run of "This godless communism" by Reed Crandall from The Catechetical Guild.

Also received this copy back from CGC:

IsThisTomorrow.jpg

Why does the CGC say there are three versions, when there are at least six different versions (including three different 10 cent versions -- red price in yellow circle, yellow price in red circle, and yellow price in black circle) available on the market right now (and that's not counting the foreign versions like the one for Australia)?

@esquirecomics: Are you a dealer?

Sorry for the question, but I am italian and quite new on the forum.

Indeed, the Canadian edition of "Is this tomorrow is very nice".

I have just collected the entire run of "This godless communism" by Reed Crandall from The Catechetical Guild.

I am a part-time dealer (www.esquirecomics) and full-time attorney. The anti-Communism books are part of my personal collection.

That's a great series you own!

I am a part-time dealer (www.esquirecomics) and full-time attorney. The anti-Communism books are part of my personal collection.

That's a great series you own!

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. :)

In fact, my interest in golden age comic books was fueled by a research I started on italian comics of the inter-war period, up to 1948 (in 1948 we had a very important general election which excluded communist parties from the government).

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_general_election,_1948

(I don’t know if the Wikipedia english entry is biased: it’s just for reference; the forces in play were not merely political interest, as soviet communism had ideological atheist premises).

Italian humorous artist Benito Jacovitti drew, for the elections of 1948, an amazing anti-communist deck of play cards which was distributed before the elections.

116_d.jpg

See also here: http://www.tonidirossi.it/pubblicartomania/c_116.htm

I’ve been able to put together "This Godless Communism" relatively easily since I wasn’t after high-grade copies (which would be waaay out of my wallet anyway). :)

Here are scans from my collection of some seldomnly seen Warfront comics:

22-05-201130623PM.jpg

22-05-201130707PM.jpg

22-05-201130710PM.jpg

22-05-201130627PM.jpg

23-05-201182231PM.jpg

I love the cover references to Red lice!

:headbang:

I have file copies as well of these books. I bought them to resell but then after looking at how awesome the covers were, I decided to keep them. (thumbs u

Hi, This Godless Communism was published by Treasure Chest Comics which was "PFLAUM" --- NOT the Catechetical Guild. I've mentioned that to Bob Overstreet dozens of times?????? Probably copyright protection.

Phil Levine

As far as I seem to get, George Pflaum gave his name to the publishing house at some point, but the Catechetical Guild was his own publishing house (maybe with associates, don’t know). as well.

The later issues of Treasure Chest where "This Godless Communism" was published are indeed published by "Geo A. Pflaum", but at that point the Catechetical Guild no longer existed as a publisher. Correct me if I am wrong.

I'm far from an expert, but

Pflaum Publishing was out of Dayton Ohio and started publishing in the 1800's, they published Catholic books and comics most notably Treasure Chest of Fact and Fun starting in 1946, and continued into the 1970's.

Catechetical Guild was in St Paul Minnesota and also published Catholic comics starting with Topix in 1942 continuing into the 1960's.