• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most IMPORTANT comic book related film?

74 posts in this topic

i don't mean best, i mean which film got us to where we are now?

Did Superman show that everyone could love comic films?

Did Blade show it didn''t have to be big characters?

Blade. A character relatively unknown to the public, commercially successful.

I'm sure people won't agree with this, but I really think the first Spider-Man brought us into the landscape we are in now. That movie made big money at the time and got people talking. Most casual fans don't know that Spider-Man is a Sony property and they just think all Marvel films will be good.

I listened to Kevin Smith talk about how big a deal Batman was for him. I think that movie had a pretty big following when it first came out.

I think Batman Begins was the game changer. Before that, Superhero movies were popcorn entertainers. The Nolan series was constructed differently and it shows. They showed the genre was capable of being more than that.

I'm sure people won't agree with this, but I really think the first Spider-Man brought us into the landscape we are in now. That movie made big money at the time and got people talking. Most casual fans don't know that Spider-Man is a Sony property and they just think all Marvel films will be good.

I listened to Kevin Smith talk about how big a deal Batman was for him. I think that movie had a pretty big following when it first came out.

The first Batman movie was HUGE. First film in history to make 100M in it's first 10 days.

The first Batman movie was HUGE. First film in history to make 100M in it's first 10 days.

not a huge amount of comic films in the 90's apart from Batman was there? Blade was...cant think of many others

The '89 Batman. Superman '78 was important, but that movie's success was considered more a part of the science fiction craze of the time(Star Wars, Close Encounters) than it was an embrace of comic book films.

I watched a documentary (can't remember which) that mentioned X-Men from 2000 as a historical tipping point for the film industry.

From that point forward, technologically, they could finally replicate any action sequence seen in comic books. Comic books across the board became viable options for film projects.

after some light research, some comic book films from the 90's:

Judge Dredd

Mask

Shadow

Tracy

Spawn

Casper

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Timecop

and a few others

Not a film and I'm sure not a global game changer but I'll plug the Incredible Hulk TV series.

It was the first comic related property that I remember not being corny and was focused not on the superheroics. There was a reason it ran for 5 seasons. It was well done and still holds up extremely well.

Not a film and I'm sure not a global game changer but I'll plug the Incredible Hulk TV series.

It was the first comic related property that I remember not being corny and was focused not on the superheroics. There was a reason it ran for 5 seasons. It was well done and still holds up extremely well.

not Batman tv show then?

I watched a documentary (can't remember which) that mentioned X-Men from 2000 as a historical tipping point for the film industry.

From that point forward, technologically, they could finally replicate any action sequence seen in comic books. Comic books across the board became viable options for film projects.

I tend to agree with this line of thinking, even though I, personally, didn't love the film. When you look at the timeline, it was almost like an example of punctuated equilibrium, with long periods of stasis (or little change) for big name character blockbusters, until 2000, when we started to get a more steady stream of movies, following the success of that first X-Men movie. For me, the second big change came in 2008 with the success of Iron Man, which ultimately led to Avengers (2012) bringing a group of characters introduced in their own films together, rather than the traditional idea of spinning them off from the main film.

not Batman tv show then?

He said "not corny".

This would have to be the first X-men. Even though it isn't anywhere on the top of my favorite list, this was the first that reestablished comic books films at the box office. Other than that, Burton's Batman was very crucial as well and Nolan's The Dark Knight gave the genre credibility as more than just eye candy.