• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which of your favorite artists' is their best cover?
2 2

394 posts in this topic

Surprised it took so long for a Simon and Kirby cover to appear... I love The Cap 7 that was just posted, but also like #6 just as much..

What a great thread... some great covers here that Iv'e never seen...

There were some great S+K Adventure covers and Boy Commando covers as well but I dont have any to post..

Yes there are!

boycommandos9mh_zpsd90119af.jpg

Scan does not do that book justice! (worship)

I do need scanning lessons. :(

I'm posting my favourite Baker cover that hasn't been posted.

My explanation rests with the design. The girl's beautiful face and jutting figure- yes, but the mini story in the bg is perfect. It has a beginning, middle and end that makes sense, nothing is missing. It has the elements of the archetypal story of the female desire for recognition, fame and love. She achieves and loses it all in 6 panels. All done in an brilliance of economy.

GCE15.jpg

I'm posting my favourite Baker cover that hasn't been posted.

My explanation rests with the design. The girl's beautiful face and jutting figure- yes, but the mini story in the bg is perfect. It has a beginning, middle and end that makes sense, nothing is missing. It has the elements of the archetypal story of the female desire for recognition, fame and love. She achieves and loses it all in 6 panels. All done in an brilliance of economy.

GCE15.jpg

An unexpected choice for favorite Baker, but your reasoning is well thought out and your logic is sound.

:applause:

As I've watched this thread develop all I could do was marvel at the great taste GA boardies have in cover art. (worship)

Bearing that in mind, I'll start off with a Marvel Mystery, and arguably the most prolific artist of the GA, the late, great Alex Schomburg.

This is an especially difficult choice as there are many of his covers I consider personal faves,

but tough call or not the Torch death-ray cover stands out as a powerful tribute to Schomburg's skill, imagination and dynamic style!

22b4b144-a988-4852-96aa-74a5e593df60_zps6f7b3113.jpg13e7ab6e-d545-47bd-8663-a0df603183a4_zpsf0ed8945.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :cloud9:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :cloud9:

Next on my list of favorites is Reed Crandall's amazing perspective study from atop a bridge with pre-war saboteurs hurtling to their doom. :headbang:

No one messes with Stormy Foster, ...even if he does wear short pants (and one of the saboteurs has apparently discovered he has big brass ones)! :blush:

Dizzying heights combined with anatomically precise figure rendering contribute to HIT #18 being a tour de force and one of the finest GA action covers...

d3749b17-e9cc-47cc-bb0f-6793ffa511bc_zps58cee5b9.jpg

Next up is one of my favorite S&K Cap covers.

Skulls, knife wielding dwarves, and a talon-ted red-eyed painter capturing Bucky in more ways than one... what's not to like? :D

Other Kirby covers may be better rendered, but few that are more intense. :insane:

The flamboyant Black Talon appeals to my artistic side, and this puppy is still top dog in the CGC census... :acclaim:

c4d77267-3c58-40eb-b901-5502daef19df_zps0d6134ee.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :cloud9:

Maurice Whitman

Planet66.jpg

Nice but I've always preferred 71. (shrug)

Edited by piper

frazetta.

gr3.jpg

For Frazetta, I was going to post my WSF 29... but that would've been too, too easy. After that, it would've been Famous Funnies 213. But that one's been posted several times, already.

My third choice would've been a much tougher call, but the above cover is a strong contender for third. Very dynamic composition. (Maybe this thread will naturally evolve into a "Second Favorite cover by artist", then "Third Favorite", etc.)