• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which of your favorite artists' is their best cover?
2 2

394 posts in this topic

Maurice Whitman

Planet66.jpg

Nice but I've always preferred 71. (shrug)

65,66,71,72 - and Man O'Mars. Very hard to separate.

Adam - could you post your little group of Spokanes here and I'll add my #65?

PlanetSetSm.jpg

Favorite Al Feldstein cover.

weirdfan15_zps7f8b8241.jpg

(worship)

In the recent Clink auction, I was determined to win at least one of the many great Feldstein cover Gaines File Copies for sale. After all, it was earlier this year the great Mr. Feldstein passed away. My collection needed... I needed... to memorialize him with a GFC bearing one of his covers.

There are other Feldstein covers I'd choose as favorites (WF 13, 1952 might be tops for me... I love his astronomical space-scape covers the best)... but my recent Clink acquisition is nothing to sneeze at.

wf15GFC_zpsf6be05ea.jpg

My favorite Feldstein cover as well. So much so that I presented a painting of it to Al Williamson at HoustonCon exactly four decades ago! The painting featured was from my collection at that time. It also has my favorite Williamson art for By George, the story on which the cover is based.

I'd given Al an illustration I'd done at an earlier convention and he reciprocated by sending me an original X-9 daily. At the HoustonCon he personalized it for me.

Yeah, I'm the geek on the left. :blush:

I've also included a recently reacquired GFC of this classic courtesy of John Verzyl...

739b83f2-fa78-497e-9366-722323a9a452_zpse8914aaf.jpg44fb01b6-115d-46ee-912e-9e504b1bd598_zpse9448363.jpg

Favorite Al Feldstein cover.

weirdfan15_zps7f8b8241.jpg

(worship)

In the recent Clink auction, I was determined to win at least one of the many great Feldstein cover Gaines File Copies for sale. After all, it was earlier this year the great Mr. Feldstein passed away. My collection needed... I needed... to memorialize him with a GFC bearing one of his covers.

There are other Feldstein covers I'd choose as favorites (WF 13, 1952 might be tops for me... I love his astronomical space-scape covers the best)... but my recent Clink acquisition is nothing to sneeze at.

wf15GFC_zpsf6be05ea.jpg

My favorite Feldstein cover as well. So much so that I presented a painting of it to Al Williamson at HoustonCon exactly four decades ago! The painting featured was from my collection at that time. It also has my favorite Williamson art for By George, the story on which the cover is based.

I'd given Al an illustration I'd done at an earlier convention and he reciprocated by sending me an original X-9 daily. At the HoustonCon he personalized it for me.

Yeah, I'm the geek on the left. :blush:

I've also included a recently reacquired GFC of this classic courtesy of John Verzyl...

739b83f2-fa78-497e-9366-722323a9a452_zpse8914aaf.jpg44fb01b6-115d-46ee-912e-9e504b1bd598_zpse9448363.jpg

:cool:

Cat-Man #2 is my favorite Quinlan cover and a bold choice for the artist, doing an overhead perspective shot from behind.

Everything about this illustration, shadows, street, roof, motion, is just right. An outstanding artistic achievement for the time...

f6ceac38-7fc9-497d-8bb6-893540431ced_zpsb4966efa.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :cloud9:

I've always liked this for the exact same reasons. It is a beautifully executed and intriguing drawing.

Cat-Man #2 is my favorite Quinlan cover and a bold choice for the artist, doing an overhead perspective shot from behind.

Everything about this illustration, shadows, street, roof, motion, is just right. An outstanding artistic achievement for the time...

f6ceac38-7fc9-497d-8bb6-893540431ced_zpsb4966efa.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :cloud9:

My favorite Woodro cover (Bob Wood & Charles Biro). (worship)

What can be said about this one that hasn't already been said countless times?

This is a statement, the ultimate depiction of comic characters confronting real world evil.

No other GA one shot that I'm aware of launched a series with such confidence.

What a cover!

33aa41d0-a088-4cc9-b6c9-d79024fc8054_zps9c838b96.jpg

I'm thinking there's a common thread to your selections but I can't quite put my finger on it. hm

Forgot to list my favorite Quinlan... :blush:

catman3_zpsa8c17808.jpg