• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Craigslist scam...avoid... (Updated 6/26)

737 posts in this topic

Holy crud! I am amazed that the police over there wont just send a unit to go over and take a report from the other guy. That small action would put some fear into the scammer, and I know other parts of the country some departments are more pro active and willing to at least do a smidge of legwork for problem resolution.

The county police hub I called is one road over from the guy's address, too.

Just to put the fear in him...they wouldn't do anything. It's not like they were busy, either since I spoke to three different officers at the same number the other day.

Peace,

Chip

Chip, check w/your local small claims court. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that the SC long arm statute would allow you to sue in SC given that he directly solicited business w/in SC by posting on the Charleston CL page.

Worth a call to the clerk at least.

Note: I'm not licensed to practice in SC so this is just a friendly (non-legal) suggestion.

-Dave

That's the thing about fraud. You can rip people off under a certain amount of $$$ and it will cost the plaintiff more than the theft to prosecute the case. You can't make this stuff up.

Land of the free. Home of the brave. Yay criminal justice system in America.

Does the scammer have an employer? If I had a liability like Nick working for me I would want to know about it. If you can determine his place of employment it is probably worth a call and directing them to this thread. A little public social media shaming campaign for a business that knowingly employs a thief may also be helpful (if they ignore the issue).

Have you posted his name, address, and phone number yet?

At the very least some of the more bored board members can start submitting his number to telemarketers, we can sign him up for the Man + Boy love association newsletter, jehovahs witnesses can be contacted and asked to stop by, etc......

There's really no end to the amount of free harassment you can direct at a person if you have their name, address, and phone number.

So post it up if you haven't already, and let the fun begin.

Hey Chip...is there a reason you don't want his information posted, or did the mods take that down? It's your case and I'll respect your wishes, but there is a pic from his FB I am dying to post. It would at least be nice for everyone to know what this *spoon*bag looks like. He doesn't look like he needs money, but is probably a coke head working for a 'respectable' business (thinking...lawyer, banker, or broker).

At the very least some of the more bored board members can start submitting his number to telemarketers, we can sign him up for the Man + Boy love association newsletter, jehovahs witnesses can be contacted and asked to stop by, etc......

There's really no end to the amount of free harassment you can direct at a person if you have their name, address, and phone number.

So, basically, you're posting on a public messageboard that people should harass this guy incessantly, some of which may be illegal? Got it. Good plan.

So, basically, you're posting on a public messageboard that people should harass this guy incessantly, some of which may be illegal? Got it. Good plan.

Or he can take your advice, bend over, take it in the azz, and do nothing.

Good plan

Hey Chip...is there a reason you don't want his information posted, or did the mods take that down? It's your case and I'll respect your wishes, but there is a pic from his FB I am dying to post. It would at least be nice for everyone to know what this *spoon*bag looks like. He doesn't look like he needs money, but is probably a coke head working for a 'respectable' business (thinking...lawyer, banker, or broker).

I took it down. There are a few other things I'm going to try first.

Plus I really don't want anyone to do anything here and have it come back on me.

Peace,

Chip

He got robbed, which is most definitely illegal, and the police are not going to do a thing about it, and you are worried about legal repercussions from arranging a jehovahs witness visit and such?

I wonder if someone else can file the claim in court on your behalf, or by proxy, or whatever it's called? This is absolutely ridiculous. Good people that tow the line do not get help from anyone, but if you are an a-hole, you get more protection and money thrown at you. My 2c

The first time I read this post, my brain read, "... but there is a pic from his FBI file I am dying to post...",

and was about to post a thousand :popcorn: 's.

Good luck, Chip :wishluck:

I took it down. There are a few other things I'm going to try first.

Plus I really don't want anyone to do anything here and have it come back on me.

Peace,

Chip

I respect that, but this guy reeks of 'entitled scum'. Hoping your diligence and patience pays off here. In the meantime, I'll be rooting for bad karma to work its magic. :banana:

It is incredible how little police officers' care about small claims. I had my briefcase stolen out of my truck after an accident. My truck was impounded because I was in no condition to drive and was taken in an ambulance. Someone probably thought it was a laptop bag, but it was empty minus hours of work on thumb drives. The bag was about $400 with a few nice ties in it too. All in all they probably stole around $500 dollars and hours of work.

The police didn't care enough to even drive down to the impound lot. It would have been easy for them to ask for all the people that had access to my truck. They didn't though.

Sorry you got scammed Chip. Good luck in trying to get the money.