• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The centerpiece of your collection

282 posts in this topic

I'm probably going to win the prize for "least valuable centrepiece" but this is my favourite book ever and is the first one I paid three figures for. I have all of the Barks Scrooge issues, and I think I like them as much as any books I own:

FC386.jpg

Comic books just don't get any better than US1! (thumbs u

The MM run is awesome too

Great thread Flex! And I'm honoured to have made the cut with two commissions!

When I discovered Doug Sulipa's Comic World store as a kid (around 1981), one of my earliest purchases was a hardcover Overstreet price guide... the L.B. Cole covered edition (maybe #10 or so). In the back was a fantastic gallery of golden age comics, which blew my mind. I had no idea these books existed. I had never seen the covers before. And I quickly became obsessed with the Bill Everett's cover to AMAZING MAN #6. It looked so old and bizarre:

Flash forward to around 2004, I finally was able to purchase a copy:

AMAN6_zps3fb80384.jpeg

Very recently, when I was back in Winnipeg, I fished out that old price guide and removed the page with the AMAN #6 cover that had wowed me as a kid.

Upon close inspection of the Overstreet image, I found that, base on subtle markings on the covers, that the copy I purchased was the actual comic used in the Overstreet guide. Which made sense, as I purchased the book on ebay from Diamond Galleries.

Check out the white dots along the spine side, and the staple hole at the bottom right corner in the "N" in Mighty Man.

AMAN6overstreet_zpsc99d6877.jpeg

To me, this is the core of my collection, the very comic that gave me the fever for golden age comics, and changed the course of my life, influencing my present career as an artist and illustrator.

(a close second is my Church copy of Keen Detective Funnies #20)

I struggle with how to answer this one. The problem is that its all in the interpretation of the question. My favorite book isn't the one I'd sell last. What's a "centrepiece"? The most valuable? The hardest to replace? The one that means the most to you? Your favorite story? Your favorite cover? The one you bought when you were 11?

So.

Favorite Story:

Saga of the Swamp Thing 21. Just all around effing guns a blazing awesome. :headbang:

Favorite Cover:

Currently Tales of Suspense 8 (see avatar - needs to be seen at much larger scale though). IMO Kirby's finest pre hero cover.

Tugs Hardest at my collector heartstrings:

Fantastic Four 1

Sentimental Choice:

Wolverine LS #2, given to me by a close friend when we were 11. My first english language comic book, and, as it was already worth five dollars at the time, an extravagant gift for an 11 year old :o

Hardest to Replace, with a side order of awesome:

Nelvana one shot & Triumph-Adventure Comics #1 with the first appearance of Nelvana.

Booty call books (books I dump but always come back to - when I sell them I always want to find them again):

ASM 129 & Hulk 181

I can never pick out a single book, regardless if it is the centerpiece of my collection, favorite issue, favorite issue in a run or favorite cover featuring a hyena, two elephants and a robot. I like a lot of covers and issues, otherwise I wouldn't own so many. And I would sell them if I found a better copy. If forced, I would say it would be a choice between Planet 1, Exciting 1, and Startling 49. Since I don't think I have shown my Startling 49 in a while, I guess I will go with that one for today.

Startling4994001.jpg

Of my entire collection, it would be my ASM #1, original owner.

But sticking to Gold. I would have to pick this one. Although there are a bunch I like just as much.

buckrogers1front.jpg

Nice book :)

I'm probably going to win the prize for "least valuable centrepiece" but this is my favourite book ever and is the first one I paid three figures for. I have all of the Barks Scrooge issues, and I think I like them as much as any books I own:

FC386.jpg

I'm a huge Barks fan so this one speaks to me. Since others are posting their paintings, I will post my Barks paintings.

menace_out_of_the_myths_prelim_zps715a8a9f.jpg

While there may be some books I like more, in my collection, this would be the centerpiece:

HumanTorch_12_CGC_Front.jpg

[font:Arial Black]The Creeping Death - George Rozen - 1933 [/font]

imagejpg1_zpsb7218c5f.jpg

[font:Arial Black]The Third Skull - George Rozen - 1935[/font]

imagejpg1_zpse27433da.jpg

[font:Arial Black]Edd Cartier - Shadow interior page - 1937 - 12" x 18" [/font]

imagejpg1_zpsaa3a8961.jpg

[font:Arial Black]Shadow Blue Coal Sign - 1940 - 20" x 28"[/font]

imagejpg1_zpsdaa36d0d.jpg

[font:Arial Black]Shadow Blue Coal Sign - 1938 - 18" x 24" [/font]

imagejpg1_zps80ca4b4c.jpg

[font:Arial Black]The Shadow Pulp - 1936 - "Partners of Peril"[/font]

imagejpg1_zps836c9f50.jpg

I can never pick out a single book, regardless if it is the centerpiece of my collection, favorite issue, favorite issue in a run or favorite cover featuring a hyena, two elephants and a robot. I like a lot of covers and issues, otherwise I wouldn't own so many. And I would sell them if I found a better copy. If forced, I would say it would be a choice between Planet 1, Exciting 1, and Startling 49. Since I don't think I have shown my Startling 49 in a while, I guess I will go with that one for today.

Startling4994001.jpg

Crown jewel! Sweet! :applause:

Great choices so far everyone. :applause:

Bats has always been my favorite,and this one tops the list for me.I'm all smiles every time I page thru it. :cloud9:

IMG_20130305_0001_zps2b833212.jpg

I didn't know you had one of those -- beautiful copy!

This copy is just crazy. Russ any urge to have it graded just so we can drool some more?

... Pacific Coast FF 13 ......probably the only book from that collection that's never been slabbed. I got it from one of my best friends.... so it also has a lot of sentimental value. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

101_2382.jpg

Jimbo hopefully one day I can talk you in to selling me this book. Just love it.