• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guys on the fence about purchase...

40 posts in this topic

You can always get a raw copy and submit it. Quick question. Have you read the books yet? I've read all 128 and personally feel they are much better than the show, albeit extremely violent. Since you'll have plenty of downtime with the baby, maybe treat yourself to the compendiums and TPB's. I think you will enjoy the read if you haven't already. As for the price of the book it will probably go back up 10-15% when the new season starts. Higher graded copies are down about that much since season 4 ended. I certainly wouldn't wait until they introduce Negan on the show as I personally feel the AOW has been the best story arc yet. His debut should give the #1 and some #100's momentum IMHO.

I have reached until #40. The comics are absolutely fantastic, the tv show just isn't as good except for the 1st season but that's because Frank Darabont was attached to it. It went way downhill after they fired him.

I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a modern book ever. Just my 2c

+1

+2

Your teenagers will probably react the same way to The Walking Dead comic book fifteen years from now as my stepson reacts to how awesome I think Return of the Living Dead is: meh.

If I were going to blow $1200 on something other than medical bills, insurance premiums, baby clothes, nursery stuff, savings bonds or college savings - I would blow it on an old comic, not a modern. Or a really awesome night at the strip club.

Night of the Living Dead is brilliant. I can watch that movie over and over and never get bored.

+1

+2

Your teenagers will probably react the same way to The Walking Dead comic book fifteen years from now as my stepson reacts to how awesome I think Return of the Living Dead is: meh.

If I were going to blow $1200 on something other than medical bills, insurance premiums, baby clothes, nursery stuff, savings bonds or college savings - I would blow it on an old comic, not a modern. Or a really awesome night at the strip club.

:roflmao:

if you are going to spend a grand on a comic, go for something older. As others have said, 40-80 years of price appreciation and sales, is much more stable than 10.

+1

+2

Night of the Living Dead is brilliant. I can watch that movie over and over and never get bored.

+1

Doc, doesn't anyone question why you asked the teller for $1200 in singles?

First of all I would actually wait until AFTER your child is born to make that kind of purchase. Why? Because pregnancies and deliveries come with risks. It is far better to have a good buffer in your account for any unforseen complications or potential conditions than have to be forced to sell your comic in a hurry for much less than you bought it. Also, anything else like loss of job, change in medical coverage, or if you get injured.

Second, there's no need to rush. WD#1 is volatile but predictable. If you can wait a year for the next season hiatus, it might be cheaper.

Third, I would rather have the hulk 181, x-men #1, or spidey #50, over the wd #1. Also, 9.6 isn't that hard to come by raw. Just find a decent raw copy with non-color breaking defects that will press out, maybe 2-3 color breaking spine stress lines less than 1/8" and you could submit it to joeypost or ccs for a press and sub to cgc for less than $1200, u might even get lucky and find a nice 9.8.

Fourth: the hunt, for me, is where the real fun is and helps me truly appreciate owning it that much more.

Good luck and congratulations on your expected child.

If your wife is giving birth in August, your responsibility started a while back. Keep your money. Raising a kid isn't cheap. 2c

Becoming a father doesn't means you can't have a hobby anymore. Sure, you need to take your responsibility. Doesn't mean you can't spend money on a book. If that would be the prospect of becoming a parent then what is the point. A good balance need to be found!

Love your kid

Raise your kid well

Buy comics!

Works for me and I like to think that my son has everything he needs (including his own comic collection)

+1

Save your money.

After your child is born, friends and family will give gifts of cash. Use this to buy the book and use it to bond with your child.

My Mother took the cash I received for my First communion and bought stocks with it.

I began a lifelong love affair with stocks. do the same for your child with comics.

@Amin80: Honestly, if you care about the book in itself, a reprint is more than enough. I seem to get there are a million.

As it has already been said, I do agree I would never spend so much money on a modern book. So if you are even remotely worrying about potential reselling (if need arises) I would stick with either a lowgrade copy (I doubt they are cheap) or a nice reprint.

If you were in to comics in the 90"s, look at what happened to the "bad girl" comics. Shi, LadyDeath, Cry for Dawn all commanded big 90s/ money when they were hot. Xfiles, same thing. Now it's easy to get them cheap. TWD, while cool & all is just a passing fad. The time for investment factor on this book has passed, IMO. Do as you please, it's your cash. However a lot of valid points have been made. Never know what's around the corner, could need that cushion. Best of luck & cheers to a healthy child.

Second, there's no need to rush. WD#1 is volatile but predictable. If you can wait a year for the next season hiatus, it might be cheaper.

And if you wait 5-10 years it is likely to be even cheaper.

If your wife is giving birth in August, your responsibility started a while back. Keep your money. Raising a kid isn't cheap. 2c

Becoming a father doesn't means you can't have a hobby anymore. Sure, you need to take your responsibility. Doesn't mean you can't spend money on a book. If that would be the prospect of becoming a parent then what is the point. A good balance need to be found!

Love your kid

Raise your kid well

Buy comics!

Works for me and I like to think that my son has everything he needs (including his own comic collection)

I agree. Marriage and children don't have to be the end of everything. lol

Love your kid

Raise your kid well

Buy comics!

I agree. Marriage and children don't have to be the end of everything. lol

I never said it was the end of everything, but the tone of OP's first post led me to believe that he thought his responsibility didn't begin until the child was actually delivered. That was a red flag to me that indicated maybe he should be hanging on to that money. That's all.

I know you would really like to get a WD #1 but you should really hold out. The day will come again when you have money to buy it and the price will be more affordable. The book will be riding high until the show gets canceled. And once that happens there will be a drop in value.

Hey guys,

I only recently got into collecting, I only wanted to buy books which I really loved, especially ones I read from my childhood. My collection includes

The strain no. 1 raw $80

Batman the killing joke $40 raw

V wars #1 both covers $14 raw

Chew #1 cgc 9.6 $385

Scalped #1 raw $62

Peter Panzerfaust #1 cgc 9.8 $345

Spiderman #300 cgc 9.0 $200

Spiderman #238 cgc 9.2 $250

Spiderman #361 cgc 9.8 $80

Spiderman #122 cgc 8.5 (my current jewel) $300

The Bunker #1 cgc 9.8 $70

Now I would love to own Ironman #1, xmen #1, avengers #1, spiderman #50 and hulk 181 but buying these books in good condition is way above my budget, and I'm okay if I didn't own them. The one book that keeps preying on my mind is walking dead #1, cgc 9.6 $1,300. This would be the most expensive book if I were to buy it. I keep telling myself that I'm done because my wife will be giving birth in August and the last chance I will ever be able to get this book is end of July because I have to look after my responsibility. This is the book that eludes me, and I would like to buy it, but I keep wondering if I ever was forced to sell it down the line, I hope not, would I be able to get the same amount for it?

Am I making a big mistake by purchasing this expensive comic? What do you guys think?

I would be inclined to wait until the end of that year. At that point, you may have a clearer idea of the expenses involved with the baby. If everything seems under control, buy the TWD 1 for yourself as a Christmas present.

If you are looking for an alternative, I would avoid gold because of the volatility in the price. A six-month CD gives you a minuscule return, but at least your principal is safe.

Good luck with whatever you decide. (thumbs u

Ok after reading all the replies, I have decided to not purchase and just wait until it's price goes down later.

Thanks guys.

I disagree. Bu it now, you may not have the chance later.