• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to Store your Slabs

66 posts in this topic

Do slabs fit in magzine size boxes?

Technically they do - but slabs are taller than magazines, so the slabs will stick out above the box (and you won't be able to fit a lid on the box).

Get some CGC boxes instead :thumbsup:

Maybe, but these options are probably better:

https://www.hotflips.com/catalog/comic-book-supplies/boxes

- if you need boxes, I only store books horizontally, thus corners are subjected minimally to the evil pull force of gravity :insane: (thumbs u

Ok, I am actually not kidding :facepalm:

PS. And no more than 15-20 CGC books in one stack, or the bottom book may get too much weight on it and risk holder damage. So incredible much hassle maintaining these books, sigh…

Have you ever seen damage to the slab at the bottom? I often worry doubt that with the way my books are stacked. I try to rotate them every few weeks and I think my stacks are right around 20 or so.

I've heard some people say that slabs should be stored laying flat. Anyone got any info on this?

There are people that claim storing the book in an upright position will cause damage to the bottom. The though is that gravity will force the book down over time and thus damage it.

My response to that though, haven't we been storing comics upright in bags and boards for years though?

Of course the argument to shoot back is when they found the Church books they were just stacked in a closet. There was also a guy on here with an INCREDIBLE golden age collection and he just stored his books stacked on a desk or something.

I've heard some people say that slabs should be stored laying flat. Anyone got any info on this?

There are people that claim storing the book in an upright position will cause damage to the bottom. The though is that gravity will force the book down over time and thus damage it.

My response to that though, haven't we been storing comics upright in bags and boards for years though?

Of course the argument to shoot back is when they found the Church books they were just stacked in a closet. There was also a guy on here with an INCREDIBLE golden age collection and he just stored his books stacked on a desk or something.

Bags and boards don't have inner wells to contend with. Over time certain inner wells will create damage if the book is stored standing up. The books own weight will cause it to impact the edge of the inner well causing indentations to the bottom edge of the comic. Best way to store LONG term is spine side down or lay the books flat if you have no other option.

Bags and boards don't have inner wells to contend with. Over time certain inner wells will create damage if the book is stored standing up. The books own weight will cause it to impact the edge of the inner well causing indentations to the bottom edge of the comic. Best way to store LONG term is spine side down or lay the books flat if you have no other option.

Won't the same thing happen to the spine though? Just curious…

Hotflips is gonna have to design a new box to store slabs with the spine down. It might become the new rage. :)

Staples sells boxes that are exactly the right width (and height) for storing slabs spine-side down. That's what I'm currently doing.

Pictures, item# please. hm

- if you need boxes, I only store books horizontally, thus corners are subjected minimally to the evil pull force of gravity :insane: (thumbs u

PS. And no more than 15-20 CGC books in one stack, or the bottom book may get too much weight on it and risk holder damage. So incredible much hassle maintaining these books, sigh…

Have you ever seen damage to the slab at the bottom? I often worry doubt that with the way my books are stacked. I try to rotate them every few weeks and I think my stacks are right around 20 or so.

No, never. I guess I have about 17 books in a stack (now for 6 years) - they are each in a 2 mil Mylar bag which may or may not help to stabilize the holder... I think 15 to 20 books are quite safe in one stack, down to about 10 for magazines.

They are of course kept in complete darkness, 72 F (23 C) constant temp (should be 64 F (18 C), but the wife does not agree with that room temp, sigh) and 40% relative humidity... In Gerber Mylar D 2 mil bags (99% UV reduction too) - sealed with archival tape (completely acid free, same thing used by the Library of Congress-Preservation Dept.). It helps me sleep better at night zzz:facepalm:

No, never. I guess I have about 17 books in a stack (now for 6 years) - they are each in a 2 mil Mylar bag which may or may not help to stabilize the holder... I think 15 to 20 books are quite safe in one stack, down to about 10 for magazines.

They are of course kept in complete darkness, 72 F (23 C) constant temp (should be 64 F (18 C), but the wife does not agree with that room temp, sigh) and 40% relative humidity... In Gerber Mylar D 2 mil bags (99% UV reduction too) - sealed with archival tape (completely acid free, same thing used by the Library of Congress-Preservation Dept.). It helps me sleep better at night zzz :face palm:

Wow that is some serious conservation going on…

Kindly note that the article states the CGC slab is air tight and water tight. Sadly, this is NOT correct. It is neither air or water tight.

This is very important to note...

'mint'

Correct - something went wrong when publishing that journal entry (I cannot edit it), but it has been corrected on page 4 *cough*

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7020029&fpart=4

See page 3 also - so it is important to read the thread, not just the first post.

Best,

Rune

(thumbs u

I get so caught up in protecting my cfc books which are already protected. In just have mine in a cool deco crate I found at homesense. They're in mylites as well, but I have them to display, not hide away in a box in a closet. Just my opinion though.

Oh, and I store upright. I imagine it would tale a reeeeeaaaaalllly long time for gravity to put enough stress on a book to sufficiently damage a book in a rigid case....

Then again, I'm still a Newb.

(shrug)

Kinda hard to disagree with Joeypost, since a lot of people love him.