• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Cleveland -- February 20-22, 2015

83 posts in this topic

I just checked and the three day passes for the Con are all sold out. I don't know how many they set aside for the 3 day packages but I think its a good sign those tickets are all gone. I should be able to go for a short time on Friday and hopefully a half day on Sunday. Got to support the local Con.

I just checked and the three day passes for the Con are all sold out. I don't know how many they set aside for the 3 day packages but I think its a good sign those tickets are all gone. I should be able to go for a short time on Friday and hopefully a half day on Sunday. Got to support the local Con.

If you click on the actual link to tickets they are not sold out. Standard Wizard idiocy and/or trickery. I have very, very, very, very low hopes for this show. They have 100% ruined the MidOhio Con (now WW Ohio/Columbus) and most local dealers will not pay Wizard prices to set up at a show that will probably draw 1/20th of a Chicago crowd. I think this show is going to be a certified trainwreck.

If you click on the actual link to tickets they are not sold out. Standard Wizard idiocy and/or trickery. I have very, very, very, very low hopes for this show. They have 100% ruined the MidOhio Con (now WW Ohio/Columbus) and most local dealers will not pay Wizard prices to set up at a show that will probably draw 1/20th of a Chicago crowd. I think this show is going to be a certified trainwreck.

You can buy friday and sunday but not the 3 day passes. Same happened in new orleans and nola was packed.

I would have said the same thing but it seems like a bunch of the radio shows are creating a lot of buzz about the show. And someone made a good point - people in Cleveland shell out $80 a football game and its 3 hours of entertainment and it sells out each game. People in Cleveland typically do not travel a lot so its a big deal when something comes to town that is hyped elsewhere. I'm not looking forward to Cleveland girls in Harley Quinn outfits but I'm even more scared to see the guys in Deadpool outfits. Nightmares all the way around.

I would have said the same thing but it seems like a bunch of the radio shows are creating a lot of buzz about the show. And someone made a good point - people in Cleveland shell out $80 a football game and its 3 hours of entertainment and it sells out each game. People in Cleveland typically do not travel a lot so its a big deal when something comes to town that is hyped elsewhere. I'm not looking forward to Cleveland girls in Harley Quinn outfits but I'm even more scared to see the guys in Deadpool outfits. Nightmares all the way around.

I am from the Cleveland/Akron area and I get what you are saying. The show may or may not draw well this year, but I think the average person thinks this is some sort of extravagant comic-con like a San Diego or something. They have never been to a large show and don't really know the difference. The show itself is going to be a letdown due to the lack of dealers and very underwhelming guest list (that I am sure more cancellations will happen pre-show). I just think it is horrible that Wizard charges the same dealer/admission prices for this type of show and a Chicago show that draws 50-80k people and has 500 legit dealers. I am not sure where you get your Cleveland people don't like to travel or girls info, but they have plenty of both. I have no idea if said girls would attend a comic book show and I am not sure if they would do cosplay at all, but feel free to check out downtown Cleveland this weekend and you will see an ample of amount of appealing females.

I am from the Cleveland/Akron area and I get what you are saying. The show may or may not draw well this year, but I think the average person thinks this is some sort of extravagant comic-con like a San Diego or something. They have never been to a large show and don't really know the difference. The show itself is going to be a letdown due to the lack of dealers and very underwhelming guest list (that I am sure more cancellations will happen pre-show). I just think it is horrible that Wizard charges the same dealer/admission prices for this type of show and a Chicago show that draws 50-80k people and has 500 legit dealers. I am not sure where you get your Cleveland people don't like to travel or girls info, but they have plenty of both. I have no idea if said girls would attend a comic book show and I am not sure if they would do cosplay at all, but feel free to check out downtown Cleveland this weekend and you will see an ample of amount of appealing females.

I think i counted 16 comic dealers going. Its not a lot but i know some will have some good quality stuff.

Cleveland downtown does have some great restaurants so let me know if any of the dealers in town or people attending the Con want to meet up on Thursday night. Friday and Saturday night are out for me but they both are great nights to go check out West 6th Street area.

In my few years living there in college 10 years ago, I regularly came across an ample amount of pretty great looking girls. And most of them were what I would call... quite accommodating?

Only thing I hated was how early things closed. That was a nightmare.

I've met many an attractive lady on West 6th, Shooters on the Lake, East 4th, Ohio City, etc. And there were plenty of beautiful local extras on the Avengers set in Public Square. Perhaps the shooting of that movie and Captain America in Cleveland has produced a few more comic nerds (or cosplayers) who will attend the con.

Maybe someone will have the bright idea to move it to the I-X Center if it returns next year. Easier to get to and lotsa onsite parking. :wishluck:

Yeah I agree. That's the one thing about this show that I'm worried about. The parking situation may not be ideal, especially with the weather.

Maybe someone will have the bright idea to move it to the I-X Center if it returns next year. Easier to get to and lotsa onsite parking. :wishluck:

At first I thought it was at the IX Center but I think having it at the convention center is a good move. Lots of nearby nice hotels for the guests and the convention center was renovated for just this kind of event.

Got there right after the doors opened. Lines weren't too bad. Lots of folks to help get you where you had to go. Crowds were pretty good. Spent about 3 hours there. Thought it was better than Mid-Ohio. Hung around long enuff to see Shatner get to his booth. Started to get crowded as we were leaving. Some folks still setting up well into the day. Got Michael Golden to sign a couple of plates from the Dr. Strange portfolio I had. Had a good time. Quite a few costumed attendees. Parked in the garage just NE of the Lakeside entrance. Probably the closest. Felt that a lot of the top shelf books were over priced. Then again, I could just be a tightwad. :D

I just got a PM saying I should stop talking out of my butt since it sounds like the Con has been a huge success. I'm always happy when an event in Cleveland does well. Typical clevelander being skeptical. Any hot cosplay pictures to prove me wrong on all fronts?