• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard expands with 9 new cities in 2015, at least 22 shows.

56 posts in this topic

My personal opinion is that Wizard needs to choose a handful of target cities and build shows grass roots style, one year at a time. The 'throwing darts' method really hurts sellers and markets, IMO.

Will added cons at least give more competition and better prices for consumers?

I doubt it. Id expect to see less dealers really. With more cons that means more travel for dealers, renting booths etc. Youd have to sell alot more comics to cover the added dates.

Will added cons at least give more competition and better prices for consumers?

I doubt it. Id expect to see less dealers really. With more cons that means more travel for dealers, renting booths etc. Youd have to sell alot more comics to cover the added dates.

That, and Wizard prices their booths high enough to discourage smaller local dealers from setting up.

If I were strictly a comic investor, I'd say this is a very good indicator it is time to start selling and winding down future commitments on potential investments in the more volatile comic areas. Starting to get that 90's deja vu feeling. We are approaching the crest of a very bumpy ride.

I just reread the story and it said that more new or returning cities may still be added to the schedule. With nearly one show every two weeks already it would be tough to fit too many more in...

I agree with Roy, a focus of fewer cities and more of an "event" feel would be better than trying to blitz everyplace. But I suppose that MORE is a growth strategy too...

If I were strictly a comic investor, I'd say this is a very good indicator it is time to start selling and winding down future commitments on potential investments in the more volatile comic areas. Starting to get that 90's deja vu feeling. We are approaching the crest of a very bumpy ride.

The Wizard World shows aren't really geared towards the comic book collector, though, and haven't been for quite a while - it's the pop culture celebrities that draw the crows CROWDS.

One area they have steered clear of is Seattle.

I will say this: WW is easily the best show I've ever done in all aspects:

- WW staff were extremely helpful

- They provided a great Internet connection for card transactions at an affordable price - it was $50 compared to the $100 and up the other shows charge, some of those ridiculous prices are per day.

- Sales were fantastic compared to the grassroots Rose City show four months earlier.

- Load in and out was very well managed.

WW has figured out that they can boost their business by allowing vendors the chance to hire load in/out help for $10 per hour and having your inventory shipped from one WW show to the next. Logistically, they seem to be far ahead of a lot of other shows.

Now, I hear that WW isn't all warm and fuzzy in other parts of the country and I have yet to experience a show outside my state at this point. I think WW should really temper their growth - too many, too soon might be too much.

Interesting that they dropped New York. Perhaps it was because of NYCC Special Edition? Either way, I have never gone to a WW event in the city so...

:shrug:

It's no mistake that wizard plans their shows on the same weekends as other non-wizard shows. I think they feel they can bully the show circuit and hurt the independent shows (and build their own profits at the same time). WW Chicago is still a very comic-centric show, but compare that to Austin, where there was only about 5 "comic dealers" in the room, and you have a very different show. I think this expansion is wizards attempt to profit off the "geek culture" more than offering a good comic show to under served markets... Just a thought...

Entering plenty of new markets hungry for shows, like Des Moines.

Looks like Louisville and San Antonio got bumped off the 2015 schedule. Anyone else see any other cities that were dropped?

Toronto used to have a show but its gone now

Anyone notice that NYC is no longer a wizard show? That's shocking.

I enjoy the Wizard shows I attend and you can see the difference. They are a well run business while other shows seem more reactive generally.

The only "problem" I have is that they have exclusivity contracts with the celebrities which limits their appearance in the area to only Wizard shows. You could argue that's good business but it isn't something I would feel good about supporting.