• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page quality question about TOS 39 I'm looking to buy

27 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I figure this is the best place to get advice on a key SA book I'm interested in buying. Any advice in welcomed and appreciated!

I made an offer on a book $100 higher than the GPA last sale/90 day average (my offer was $1,200). The seller countered with $1,300. This counter amount will tie for the highest sale ever for the book in this particular grade.

I'm considering it because the eye appeal of the front cover is very nice.

However, my concern is the page quality is "Light Tan to Off White Pages."

I know the CGC notes describe the interior page quality, not the cover. Because of this, some books can have a brittle cover even though the label doesn't say brittle.

The front cover looks great, but here is the image of the back cover.

Do you guys think the cover could be BRITTLE?

Regardless, should I be paying an all time high for a book with TAN pages?

backcover_zps9dd49927.jpg

Just my opinion, but I do not buy LT books at all, way too much of a turn off. I used to buy cr/ow without any real reservations, but this place has changed my opinion on that. OW or better is what I look for. With that said, I will buy cr/ow if it's a book I really want and/or priced right.

LT would have to be a big discount I would think.

Just my opinion, but I do not buy LT books at all, way too much of a turn off. I used to buy cr/ow without any real reservations, but this place has changed my opinion on that. OW or better is what I look for. With that said, I will buy cr/ow if it's a book I really want and/or priced right.

LT would have to be a big discount I would think.

I fully agree with Silver. I would not pay all time GPA high for a book with LT pages. Unless the book is a tough book or a really hot book -- and my guess here is that it is not a tough book because, judging from the ad on the back cover, it's a Marvel, right? -- wait for other copies to surface with at least C/OW and a cover that has acceptable eye appeal to you.

+1 for me too. For earlier or rarer SA books Cream to Off-white doesn't bother me, but anything with Light Tan or Tan you should be looking at a discount and not a new GPA high price. This is especially true with concerns about cover brittleness.

It's easy to get caught up in excitement about a book, but you will have a tough time reselling that book with that PQ. Walk away.

Thank you everyone for the posts! (thumbs u

Since I'm now leaning toward letting it go, I'll stop being coy and show you guys the comic.

It's a TOS 39 CGC 1.5. eBay link

So definitely not a rare book, but you don't see many 1.5's with this much eye appeal on the front cover.

GPA info is:

2012 Avg. $728

2013 Avg. $854

Past 12 month Avg. $996

Past 90 Day Avg. $1,100

Last Sale $1,100 May 2014

(However, there was one sale of $1330 March 2014. I don't know where it sold, so I have no idea the eye quality of it. It does say cream to off white when clicking on the GPA link.)

I do like the book, and was comfortable offering $1,200. But I don't want to be taken advantage of either and pay too much....

_571_zps6d73511a.jpg

It's a crispy looking book that I would avoid.

With that said, I bought an old label TOS 49 8.5 LT/OW pages. The scans showed a very nice book with pages that don't look like LT to me. So I bought it a little lower than GPA. I think I will resub it one day and it will come back CR/OW

To be honest, that's a fugly looking front cover. The browning/dust shadow is huge, hit you in the face category. That book will be a tough resell if you ever upgrade. To pay over GPA would not be wise.

At first blush, I see what you mean about eye appeal, but look more carefully, and you will see that the close quote -- the " -- is cut off at the right edge of "IRON MAN! . Be patient and hunt for a 1.5 with at least C/OW pages that has the " after "IRON MAN!

Also, you don't want the doodling at the bottom of the back cover. BLECH!

I agree about the PQ possibly being LT. In comparing every other LT book I've seen, the cover is typically tan in some places.

I'm thinking old label goodness may come into play here... hm

Not to muddy the waters here but I've seen books (and I know of many others who have as well) with "light tan to off white" pages be re-subbed and come back as differently as "off white" pages. So....there's that to consider.

-J.

Not to muddy the waters here but I've seen books (and I know of many others who have as well) with "light tan to off white" pages be re-subbed and come back as differently as "off white" pages. So....there's that to consider.

-J.

That's very true. They tend to be erratic in determining PQ. That said, LT is such a turnoff to most people that I would only buy at significant discount to GPA because counting on a PQ improvement on regrading is very iffy. A poorly stored LT book might even come back as Brittle. :o

At first blush, I see what you mean about eye appeal, but look more carefully, and you will see that the close quote -- the " -- is cut off at the right edge of "IRON MAN! . Be patient and hunt for a 1.5 with at least C/OW pages that has the " after "IRON MAN!

Also, you don't want the doodling at the bottom of the back cover. BLECH!

Yeah, there is the " to look for. However, if you get the " you tend to lose a bit of the left side too.

As for the back cover writing, when you're buying a book in the 1.0 to 1.8 range you have to accept defects. Back cover damage is a great way to lower the price, while maintaining some eye appeal on the cover. So that doesn't bother me as much as tape, or front cover damage like pieces missing or heavy creasing through the middle of the front cover. (thumbs u

Look at this back cover. How can this be LTOW?

Because the interior PQ is being judged, not the PQ of the cover or back cover?

+1

A while back I was interested in a Fantastic Four #1. The label said "Cream to Off White pages"; however, when I called for the graders notes they told me the cover was actually brittle. (This was back before they charged for grader's notes and you could call.)

The notes are for the interior not the cover.

Having said that though, I still think yours is worth a shot at an upgrade with the old label. 2c Nice book!

-J.

I think the TOS 39 I was looking at wouldn't have a chance coming back "off white." I was concerned it was going in the other direction, and could be a brittle cover.

Look at this back cover. How can this be LTOW?

Because the interior PQ is being judged, not the PQ of the cover or back cover?

+1

A while back I was interested in a Fantastic Four #1. The label said "Cream to Off White pages"; however, when I called for the graders notes they told me the cover was actually brittle. (This was back before they charged for grader's notes and you could call.)

The notes are for the interior not the cover.

Having said that though, I still think yours is worth a shot at an upgrade with the old label. 2c Nice book!

That's interesting about the notes saying brittle cover but the label wouldn't note that. Crazy rules CGC!

I definitely agree that the PQ could be bad underneath that cover. I am just waiting for the right time to resub it and see what happens. #rollthedice!