• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this the book with the Nazi marking inside?

48 posts in this topic

Did it get reholdered?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOCK-SUSPENSTORIES-6-CGC-4-0-GRADE-/351110178741?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item51bfcc27b5

this one's label mentions "interior imbelishments that deface art" ... thought CGC might have eased up on the notation since it might make the book far less valuable based on the particular nature of the markings...

One of the best Golden Age stories I've ever read, and truly shows that EC was way ahead of it's time. What's really shocking is that they were run out of business in favor of the people that brought us Whitewash Jones.

Can anyone point me to the back story on this?
One of several Golden Age "preachy" stories by Wally Wood, showing that racism is bad and minorities are people too. Obviously someone who owned the copy thought differently and scribbled a swastika on it.

It says multiple, so I figure either swastikas all over, or one swastika and someone went through and mustached everybody. Either way, too bad. At least the cover looks good, maybe someone can get a wall hanger for a steal.

One of the best Golden Age stories I've ever read, and truly shows that EC was way ahead of it's time. What's really shocking is that they were run out of business in favor of the people that brought us Whitewash Jones.

I have read the story as well,one of my fave EC titles.Just seemed there was a definitely history with the mentioned offending scribbles.It would deter a good amount of people to not buy if it is the marred copy.

Did it get reholdered?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOCK-SUSPENSTORIES-6-CGC-4-0-GRADE-/351110178741?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item51bfcc27b5

this one's label mentions "interior imbelishments that deface art" ... thought CGC might have eased up on the notation since it might make the book far less valuable based on the particular nature of the markings...

If it was some random sphincter I maybe CGC prefers not to give him any more attention by making the book any more renowned.

But I would be interested to see a notation on the copies of certain GA books that supposedly earned a specific response from the American Bund and Nazi Germany's minsters. Books that reportedly generated ire include Captain America 1. Somewhere there are (or were) copies of GA books mocking Hitler that were marked up as "unacceptable" and generated a demand for apologies.

It says multiple, so I figure either swastikas all over, or one swastika and someone went through and mustached everybody. Either way, too bad. At least the cover looks good, maybe someone can get a wall hanger for a steal.

Wall hanger bid placed on a great Wood cover.

I have read the story as well,one of my fave EC titles.Just seemed there was a definitely history with the mentioned offending scribbles.It would deter a good amount of people to not buy if it is the marred copy.

It's a superb series, and I've expressed my admiration of Al Feldstein as a writer elsewhere. No doubt some prat will also deface a copy of issue 5 the same way, which features his anti-semitism story, 'Hate!'. :facepalm:

It's a superb series, and I've expressed my admiration of Al Feldstein as a writer elsewhere. No doubt some prat will also deface a copy of issue 5 the same way, which features his anti-semitism story, 'Hate!'. :facepalm:

Someone did :( (this book was in a sales thread recently):

Link to sales thread: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7741942&fpart=1

CGCLongLabelNotes_zps504683b2.jpg

Someone did :( (this book was in a sales thread recently):

Link to sales thread: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7741942&fpart=1

CGCLongLabelNotes_zps504683b2.jpg

That's pathetic. :facepalm: