• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this the book with the Nazi marking inside?

48 posts in this topic

I wonder why Cgc points out what the comments are related too.
I'd imagine a holocaust survivor who may collect comics would like to know what's between the front and back covers when buying a high priced slab. Same with anyone who may have lived through the civil rights movement who may be buying a comic involving civil rights from the time of the moment as a memento would like to know if the N-word is scribbled on every page.

I'd imagine a holocaust survivor who may collect comics would like to know what's between the front and back covers when buying a high priced slab. Same with anyone who may have lived through the civil rights movement who may be buying a comic involving civil rights from the time of the moment as a memento would like to know if the N-word is scribbled on every page.

Even a non-holocaust or non-Jewish person would find that highly offensive. If I bought a comic and I opened it up and it had a bunch of krap like that inside, I'd be pissed it wasn't disclosed.

I can see why some people might not be bothered by it, but that's something that I would not buy. In all honesty, I'd expect CGC to find a way to spell it out a bit better.

I wouldn't be happy about it either. The entire reason I'd want that comic is the message within, and when it's defaced like that it's appeal severely drops. Still a nice cover though, I am watching the auction.

This is one I'd say id rather see in a purple label without the grafitti, if possible

Even a non-holocaust or non-Jewish person would find that highly offensive. If I bought a comic and I opened it up and it had a bunch of krap like that inside, I'd be pissed it wasn't disclosed.

+1

Exactly.

If they are not banal scribbles (in the eBay copy) but rather comments it would be interesting to see what they are about.

I think I have (or I have seen) at least an antiquary philosophy book with notes against the text, occasionally offensive, occasionally argumentative.

I can see why some people might not be bothered by it, but that's something that I would not buy. In all honesty, I'd expect CGC to find a way to spell it out a bit better.

I can see both sides on this. It is highly offensive, but seeing that on a Cgc label I could see it encouraging the person to do it again.

I guess there's no easy solution for this one.

The other thing about the notes is that without them the book could fade away and no one would really know, but with the notes it creates discussion and raises public awareness about the book and creates discussion about it.

As has been said though, I'd want to know if I was buying a book with that trash inside of it, so it's a tough decision on the notes.

The real controversy for me, more than what defacements are specifically spelled out in the notes, is why do these books merit universal 4.0s and 6.0s? I don't care how nice the outside cover looks, as I enter my 4th decade in the business, ever since day one I remember hearing "you grade a book from the inside out". Apparently that is no longer the case?

In my shop, these books would grade a "fair" at best.

The real controversy for me, more than what defacements are specifically spelled out in the notes, is why do these books merit universal 4.0s and 6.0s? I don't care how nice the outside cover looks, as I enter my 4th decade in the business, ever since day one I remember hearing "you grade a book from the inside out". Apparently that is no longer the case?

I was wondering the same thing. Shouldn't they be in qualified labels? They don't appear nice enough to keep the grade with the insides what they are.

Entirely agreed. Or a Good, but not much more, if they have internal marker scribbles.

I can see both sides on this. It is highly offensive, but seeing that on a Cgc label I could see it encouraging the person to do it again.

Only if it increases value, which I seriously doubt it will.

Only if it increases value, which I seriously doubt it will.

Yes, it‘s not like having a biased historian writing notes on an EC comic – more of a lunatic scribbling injuries for no particular sake…

I am the high bidder on this book, currently.

If I was to win it, I will crack it out and post scans of what is inside.

On a side note. I haven't been to Ebay in several months and I found out that I had to change my password. It would not let me keep my old password, even if I wanted too.

I found it funny that in changing my password, they told me not to use common words like "password" or "qwerty". Seriously? "Qwerty" is a common word?

EDIT: I just found out it is the top six letters on a keyboard.

Anyway, I changed my password, but will miss my previous and original password. Which was 73.

Yep, "73".

So long "73" old friend.

@conditionfreak: Good to hear you are bidding on it: this way hopefully no one here will indulge in a bidding war with you. (thumbs u

As far as eBay goes: yes, for security reasons they required a complete password reset from users. Gosh, you really did not know what "Qwerty" meant? :D

@conditionfreak: Good to hear you are bidding on it: this way hopefully no one here will indulge in a bidding war with you. (thumbs u

As far as eBay goes: yes, for security reasons they required a complete password reset from users. Gosh, you really did not know what "Qwerty" meant? :D

I didn't either :blush: