• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~THE~~GIVING~~TREE~~
6 6

7,208 posts in this topic

So ebtorres got me thinking, and since it is Batman Day. Another Bat RAK. Same rules, free shipping in US, we'll talk about international.

Brave and the Bold 100, & 200, Dark Knight HC(NM)

Got this today! Thanks Scturo!! (thumbs u

(thumbs u your welcome buddy!

Bill I agree with you on this and I have never quoted the bible in my life, but I found that this passage to fit.

As he looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. 2 He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. 3 “Truly I tell you,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others. 4 All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”

There is also the problem that if everything must be equal or greater, then at some point there will only books worth thousands being listed.

Bill I agree with you on this and I have never quoted the bible in my life, but I found that this passage to fit.

As he looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. 2 He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. 3 “Truly I tell you,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others. 4 All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”

There is also the problem that if everything must be equal or greater, then at some point there will only books worth thousands being listed.

Junk Donkeys love that quote

Equal greater or slightly less-a sine wave seems to me stable with Harv's guidance

How about making it clear that to claim an offer the new offer MUST be of equal or greater monetary value? Nothing in the rules states this however this is the notion that is really the crux of the issue and pages of shaming that never should have made it into the thread. Be clear. Be transparent. Inferred or thinking someone "should know" equal value is expected is not the same as putting it in black and white.

I could claim offers and post offers however I do not believe in excluding anyone based on monetary value so I am making a conscious decision not to participate. Essentially this has become a thread where if a person falls into the classification of being a "have" then come and play. If you are a "have not" then you are not welcome. Nothing in that sentiment, which many have stated, is even remotely generous or imbued with the spirit if giving. That sentiment is exclusionary.

If I put up a hundred dollar book and someone took it because they truly wanted it and would not be able to get otherwise and all they genuinely had to give back was a $15 book my attitude would be "Thank you for giving what you could." I realize that is not even remotely close to the sentiment of the most active and vocal participants in the thread.

If this thread is going to require an equal degree of reciprocity then state that in the rules and change the name to "The Reciprocity Tree." That is really what the unstated expectation is and the current name is a complete misnomer.

I just don't know what to say anymore. Have your or have you not been watching what has been going on in the PIF thread for at least the last year? Honest question? It is NOT a black and white situation of "haves" and "have nots". To throw out that blanket statement sounds so naive and insulting.

This thread was started because there were a handful of people who were purposely driven to prey on the generosity of others and give back drek. Some even had the audacity to take their happy free claims here and immediately list them on eBay to KA-CHING! This is NOT "haves" and "have nots." It IS to prevent people from screwing others for financial gain. If you choose not to participate, all the power to you. But do not think for a second this thread was created for any other reason than to keep a few from cheating the majority. I really suggest some go back and look at the last year or so of PIF. It has nothing to do with the "poor" and oppressed. It has EVERYTHING to do with the scammers and rip offs that were sucking the life out of the PIF thread.

It's the age-old human story Harv-people reacting to what life should be like vs those reacting to what life is actually like...

I completely understand your intent. I think you are missing my point or are decidedly avoiding it. The vehicle you are using to prevent the "handful of people who are purposely driven to prey on the generosity of others and give back drek" is based on the dollar value assigned to the item offered up. As soon as you utilize this mechanism to prevent the greedy you are also excluding the honest individuals who do not have the dollar value to provide the equitable exchange that is expected but NOT stated in the rules of participation for the thread. When that happens it does create a system of exclusion that in no way hurts the greedy but does send the message to others that what they have to offer is not good enough because of the lack of dollar value.

If the dollar value is the vehicle you feel is the best way to ensure the bad eggs stay away then the solution is simple, put a rule in place that states explicitly the single item or group of items in each given lot offered in response to a claimed item must be within a specific +/- $ of the item claimed. If you do this then everyone comes into the thread with eyes wide open and know that relatively equal reciprocity is expected. Then if they post an :takeit: and their offer does not meet the rules you simply refer them back to the rule and there is no back and forth issue.

Toro is also quite right. Based on the current model more and more people will end up excluded than included and the thread will hurt itself based on the continually increasing ceiling.

Harvey, my comments are not intended in any way to denigrate the work here. I have no horse in this race. I have not claimed or offered. I do however watch and see what is going back and forth and the lack of clarity around central issues that will come up again if not addressed. You want something great to come of this thread. I would love to see that achieved. Relying on inference and assumption will not facilitate those results. They will only hinder them.

Seems pretty successful to me

:news:CURRENT OFFER :news:

48 Hour Rule: 07/28/14 12:15 PM EST

Offer Expires: 07/29/14 9:50 AM EST

2014 CLAIMS (OFFERS):

07/26: ucleben (camper49)

07/24: camper49 (1Cool)

07/24: EvenInHisYouth (1Cool) RESCINDED

07/24: Meeklo (1Cool) VETO

07/23: 1Cool (horsehater27)

07/21: horsehater27 (Colicab)

07/20: Colicab (ebtorres)

07/19: ebtorres (nnill01)

07/18: nnill01 (Barth)

07/18: Barth (mikenyc)

07/18: mikenyc (KPR Comics)

07/17: KPR Comics (miraclemet)

07/17: miraclemet (Tom473)

07/17: Tom473 (jsilverjanet)

07/17: jsilverjanet (MoeJoePin)

07/16: MoJoePin (Red84)

07/14: Red84 (quadman78)

07/14: quadman78 (Gunnz)

07/12: Gunnz (Chip Cataldo)

07/11: Chip Cataldo (Ducky13)*

07/09: Tamwood (Ducky13) RESCINDED

07/09: Ducky13 (WebSlinger)

07/07: WebSlinger (comicalgems)

07/07: comicalgems (shazzzam)

07/07: shazzzam (jaeldubyoo)

07/07: jaeldubyoo (vaillant)

07/07: vaillant (Wall-Crawler)

07/06: Wall-Crawler (Beige)

07/05: Beige (Leroys311)

07/05: Leroys311 (ItsJustRyan)

07/05: ItsJustRyan (1Cool)

07/05: 1Cool (ajulliay)

07/05: Big.Daddy (ajulliay) VETO

07/05: ajulliay (CAHokie)

07/04: CAHokie (wasteddraftpicks)

07/04: wasteddraftpicks (youmechooz)

07/04: youmechooz (strezz_dout)

07/04: strezz_dout (Mike's Rack)

07/04: Mike's Rack (Shadow Images)

07/04: Shadow Images (Chip Cataldo)

07/04: Chip Cataldo (Jiminy_Cricket)

07/04: Jiminy_Cricket (HarveySwick)

"RAK" : RANDOM ACT of KINDNESS: :foryou:

:: OFFERS (CLAIMS) ::

maloney414 / CAHokie (313josh)

boatfund

Boboset

Collect0r (01TheDude)

fmaz

Scturo (ebtorres)

Leroys311

shazzzam

Chip Cataldo (Leroys311)

Scturo x2 (fmaz)

Meeklo x4(Scturo, ebtorres, horsehater27, Barth)

Shadow Images (Barth)

fmaz

kav (Red84)

frozentundraguy

CAHokie

fmaz (scturo)

DeadPoolJr. (Gunnz)

Tom473 (ParamagicFF)

Shadow Images x3 (Tom473, DeadPoolJr.)

ebtorres (eeyore787)

Shadow Images (Kystix)

kav (stanley1883)

kav (toro)

1Cool (Shadow Images)

Leroys311 (Revat)

kav (Kystix)

ItsJustRyan (shazzzam)

quadman78/Red84 (manicnerd)

kav (comicalgems)

Beige (1Cool)

ajulliay (CAHokie)

Jazzno (stanley1883)

Tom473 (Beige)

nnill01 (Jazzno)

Chip Cataldo (Chris S.)

Chip Cataldo (Barth)

erazer (youmechooz)

scturo (Ducky13)

nnill01 (neopacket)

Jiminy_Cricket (kav)

WebSlinger (Kav (boboset))

Jiminy_Cricket (Warlord)

erazer (Jiminy_Cricket)

techvoodoo (fmaz)

techvoodoo (Columbia Comics)

nnill01 (kazoo)

wasteddraftpicks (roundguy)

Barth (Red84)

Red84 (wasteddraftpicks)

Cemetery (Red84 & mikenyc)

Chip Cataldo (stanley1883)

ebtorres (Battlerob)

ajulliay (techvoodoo)

kav (HarveySwick)

@Captain_Sawyer (Revival_Hoarder)

Spacy (stanley1883)

kav (Beige)

jsilverjanet (kav)

comicalgems (HarveySwick)

stanley1883 (1Cool)

ebtorres (youmechooz)

HarveySwick (ebtorres)

Beige (Chip Cataldo)

STRIKES: (tsk)

07/24 - Meeklo

07/05 - Big.Daddy

*Rule 8(b) 48 Hour Rule Claim

Edited by jsilverjanet

This is a damned successful, generous and positive thread. It doesn't get any better than this. Really. Criticism of this thread is baffling.

If people don't have the means to participate, there is nothing stopping them from planting their own tree where they can exchange issues of Woodgod and Youngblood #1.

Received my Giving tree from Webslinger today,(Sandman, Rat Queens and Revival) thank you for you generosity.

image_zpsbf4588b2.jpg

Also on the desk is my RAK from Scturo I got earlier this week. Thanks again.

I like that marvel comic top pic stand

Cool

Thanks , my wife picked that up for me a few years ago, I haven't see another one since. All the lettering and graphics light up when I turn it on. It really is cool.

I keep stressing this:

:news: Dollar. Value. Is. Not. The. Sole. Consideration. Of. An. Offer. :news:

I've said this from the start. I've said it about 20 times at different points in this thread. It's NOT simply about offering up equal dollar offers. That is why you will not find that rule in the first post. I'm NOT simply comparing dollars. Heck, I've said this today - I know I have...

An offer should be something you feel in your gut. Something you care about. Something you're not sure if you want to let go. But you do anyway to give back to the community.

That is NOT the same as trying to figure out how much something is worth and going on the low end and drop shipping something from Amazon. At times I have mentioned dollar amounts because that is easy to point to as a measuring stick in our hobby. For that I feel doh! But there have been offers that have NOT been big $ and I haven't batted an eye. I think they're cool offers. How much does it COST Kav to use his artist skills to draw a sketch for someone or give someone a piece of his amazing OA. I would think that would be a cool offer if he claimed something and I've told him that. That has nothing to do with dollars and cents.

But when I see someone offer up a choice of a $15 item that is easily obtainable on Amazon after claiming a $100 book I WILL speak up. There is nothing special or any care put into an offer of ONE random X-Men TPB. It was even admitted by the person that they didn't even OWN the book. They would have ordered it from Amazon.

Clearly you can distinguish someone offering up something that has care and thought behind the offer despite not being worth big money vs. someone drop shipping a $15 tpb? Please tell me that you can and maybe you'll realize it's NOT just about matching $ to $.

I am still trying to figure out who is forcing the people who don't agree with this thread to keep complaining about it, posting in it and claiming offers. (shrug)

I am still trying to figure out who is forcing the people who don't agree with this thread to keep complaining about it, posting in it and claiming offers. (shrug)

I don't get it either.

As Harvey mentioned, I don't think many of them have been following the PIF extensively enough to see the real problems. They champion for the little guy or the have nots, when in reality they're supporting people who game altruistic themed threads for easy flips and profit. We've seen it time and time and time again.

It's like kids watching other kids playing a game they invented and having fun that they're doing it all wrong....