• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,543 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

Wow I’m surprised it went for the 17!!

I suppose if you combine the front cover with a interior and back cover the whole book would sell for...  35k at least?

0DC1AFBB-8B9D-46F7-A2EC-1A66F8B31DBD.png.238fcc2ff9f9f308524976af591407d5.png

I was the underbidder , I'm a little relieved that I didn't win....only reason I bid that high was I thought I was gonna win by a land slide ...makes me wonder since the winner only has 1 transaction(hope deal falls through) lol

Edited by SushiX

1 minute ago, SushiX said:

I was the underbidder , I'm a little relieved that I didn't win....only reason I bid that high was I thought I was gonna win by a land slide ...makes me wonder since the winner only has 1 transaction.

Well, if you get a message from the seller saying the winning bidder backed out, you can then begin to be a little suspicious that games may be afoot.

Edited by LDarkseid1

10 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

looks like winner doesnt Care about the cost of removing from the backboard 

If you look up sold posters on ebay, you can see many turn of the century ones sold for 20k+.

Cap #1 front cover is smaller but just the same as an old print.  The fact that you can easily verify it’s authenticity is a huge plus, and Cap #1 cover is iconic, historical, and a top 5 visual representation of “comic book” for all time.

$17k for a front cover will look like peanuts someday.  

14 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

looks like winner doesnt Care about the cost of removing from the backboard 

The cost of removing the board seems like a small concern compared to the uncertainty of what it will look like afterward.  I've seen some things removed from scrapbooks that looked as if they'd never been glued down, and others that were virtually destroyed.   This is perhaps the only major GA key with an inside cover that is more than a product ad.

On 4/3/2018 at 9:25 PM, Dark Knight said:

Got it.  I guess we have to do the wait and see approach. The $250k i mentioned is around the min estimate, sure I can see it selling for more.  

I must be missing something.  Didn't an 8.0 blue label sell last year for basically $290K?  Has the book appreciated that much since?

23 minutes ago, Moetown said:

I must be missing something.  Didn't an 8.0 blue label sell last year for basically $290K?  Has the book appreciated that much since?

wasn't that in 2016?  since then there's that cl 2.5 that sold for $95k

WOW, I'm shocked it went so high especially since it is a mounted copy and ONLY a front cover.

Some of these are a few years old but for comparison.....

Cap1 front cover only = $5000 in late 2015

Archie 1 full cover = $3000 in late 2014

AS8 front cover only = $4000 in late 2016

Batman 1 front cover only = $3000 in late 2014

Batman back cover only (trimmed) = $3700 in late 2015

Sensation 1 front cover only = $3600 in mid 2016

I bought my Superman front cover for $5500 2 to 3 years ago.

I got my Superman back cover last October by trading about $13,000 worth of comics.

Edited by gadzukes

On 3/22/2018 at 10:21 AM, jgallo said:

Ages ago before the book blew up I sold a 1.0 married cover for like 7600, I had been trying for a number of years to get a keeper copy and I am happy with this one.

James G

cap1.jpg

That’s a nice 4.0.  You sold me that married 1.0 and I sold it shortly thereafter(huge mistake/regret).  

On 4/6/2018 at 3:23 PM, gadzukes said:

WOW, I'm shocked it went so high especially since it is a mounted copy and ONLY a front cover.

I got my Superman back cover last October by trading about $13,000 worth of comics.

Jesus Mary of Joseph. A front and back cover for Supes 1 is going to cost me an arm and a leg someday from the sound of it!

Edited by LDarkseid1

43 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Just TRY to find a back cover for a Supes 1.  Very tough!

Stupid "Pin-up cut-outs".

I guess it’s more likely I’ll end up having to buy a complete copy restored then try to complete mine.

Flash #1 front cover in 2017 for 5k.

I remember Action 13 cover and Marvel Mystery 9 covers going for 2k+  in the past 5 years?

What a great deal on your Superman #1 cover.

20 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

What a great deal on your Superman #1 cover.

YES! And it's not a rag! it's actually quite nice.  It was listed on ebay in an auction for $12k if I remember right.  It cycled thru as an auction about 3 or 4 times and no one was jumping at it.  I contacted him and asked if he'd take $5k for it and he said if I would come up to $5500 he'd sell it to me.  It's gorgeous.

P1130935_2.JPG

Edited by gadzukes

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

YES! And it's not a rag! it's actually quite nice.  It was listed on ebay in an auction for $12k if I remember right.  It cycled thru as an auction about 3 or 4 times and no one was jumping at it.  I contacted him and asked if he'd take $5k for it and he said if I would come up to $5500 he'd sell it to me.  It's gorgeous.

P1130935_2.JPG

That’s nucking futs man!!! You lucked out big time!!!