• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,543 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, jgallo said:

Ages ago before the book blew up I sold a 1.0 married cover for like 7600, I had been trying for a number of years to get a keeper copy and I am happy with this one.

James G

cap1.jpg

You should be happy with that one!  A complete Captain America Comics #1!!  The cover presents extremely well for the grade.  I'm happy just looking at it, never mind owning it!! :cloud9:

5 hours ago, Riddler said:

My copy to join the club.... 

cap1.thumb.jpg.0f30f273321c4eecfb3c9facee33a819.jpg

See? This is a great example of where stabbing a book enhances its presentation. From this, the detached cover isn't too overwhelmingly noticeable and you get the whole visual of the FC.

On 3/22/2018 at 10:21 AM, jgallo said:

Ages ago before the book blew up I sold a 1.0 married cover for like 7600, I had been trying for a number of years to get a keeper copy and I am happy with this one.

James G

cap1.jpg

That is a thing of beauty!

-J.

9 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I doubt a complete coverless would go for $20K, likely half that. 

The last one on CC didnt even hit 10k so i think more in the 10-15k range.  That being said the buy in for any complete copy does seem to be around the 40-50k range regardless of condition or restoration.

James G

I've also taken into consideration that i think it is tougher to find a complete coverless copy than a complete copy and that it is the entry level for collectors so bidding will always be more since complete copies are out of reach for most.  In today's market, ANYTHING can happen.  And I agree with jgallo that a complete copy with supple pages is in that price range.  

Yeah I mean honestly it’s difficult to find a coverless complete copy of just about any mega grail. With that being said, my Superman 1 is at the top of coverless comics behind Action 1 and Tec 27, and even this only goes for around $14K-$15K. Cap 1 doesn’t compare to Superman 1 in any grade so it’s going to be closer to $10K likely. Anyway, not trying to diminish the book, I’d be happy with a Cap 1 in any condition lol

On 3/24/2018 at 12:19 PM, Dark Knight said:

I've also taken into consideration that i think it is tougher to find a complete coverless copy than a complete copy and that it is the entry level for collectors so bidding will always be more since complete copies are out of reach for most.  In today's market, ANYTHING can happen.  And I agree with jgallo that a complete copy with supple pages is in that price range.  

Complete coverless can be very tough. So many coverless copies have been used for missing parts. It’s not at all uncommon to see key coverless books missing the centerfold, first few wraps, etc.

18 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

If supply is low and 2+ people need a blue label coverless to complete/upgrade their caps it could go high in auction.  If no one cares, low.  8k-15k imo.

Oh yeah I agree 100% that if 2 people needed one it would sell for a premium, as that would apply to any coverless complete comic. I currently need a back cover to my Batman 1, and would absolutely pay more for a back cover if one came up for auction. Whatever it would take to get it.

So in the scenario someone or multiple people owned a loose cover and needed a coverless complete Cap 1 that happened to come up for sale, I once again agree it would likely sell for more than usual. I personally feel that's a very rare scenario though, especially for two people to happen to have loose covers, but it's definitely possible. I mean in private settings, I imagine there may be covers out there with dealers that we don't know of and who would pay more for a coverless comic to complete it. But at auction, I have very rarely seen loose pages or covers come up for sale. Have seen it a handful of times, but not often. I've definitely seen more coverless comics go up for sale at auction than loose covers, that's for sure.