• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ex-Disney animator Glen Keanes private solo work !! Bravo !! Bravo !!

12 posts in this topic

Saw this at I/O. Keane worked with Google ATAP (Advanced Technology and Projects) which is in charge of Project Tango. The video actually moved along on a Tango device. Pretty neat. Keane is extremely talented. Check out this video from I/O of him talking about the tech and making this video.

ETA: For those who don't watch the video I posted from I/O, just know that the impressiveness of Keane work is that it is over 10,000 hand drawn graphite pencil sketches used to create that video. It is truly breathtaking and all the more impressive when you see the work the Keane, his team and ATAP put into making this (obviously to show off their system)

Not that it doesn't deserve attention, but there was a thread on here about this a few days ago.

:)

Peace,

Chip

Oh... I didn't see it. Sorry if I'm treading on another thread....

got a link ? :wishluck:

Thx.....

sorry Davenport :hi:

well keane probably deserves two threads :)

:hi: Absolutely Senormac. Glad to see as many eyes on his stunning video as possible. :applause:

And I highly recommend the longer "making of" Jaybuck43 added as well. (thumbs u Breathtaking, what's been accomplished.

I wonder if he's an "ex animator" because Disney abandoned hand drawn animation? I'm sure going to miss that. Disney was the best at it. When I was a kid I thought all my Disney tapes were new, then my dad said he loved those cartoons when he was a kid, and then I realized some of them were from before my grandpa was born. The quality was unmatched. 70 years later, still a better product than most any other hand drawn animation out there.

DuPont no not at all. He's been freelancing with Disney since 1983. He worked most recently with Disney on the movie Tangled (I think it was their Rapunzel adaptation? Idk I havent seen any recent Disney kids films since I don't have kids lol) but stepped down his role (he was the director at one point) because of health issues. He's an amazing Evangelist for connecting animation and technology. He "quit" Disney to go work with ATAP for exactly that reason. I put quit in scare quotes because he didn't really leave. (If you notice in the video his name is written in the Disney font.) He has deep deep connections (he was trained directly by the nine old men) with Disney and basically feels that if they need him he'll help however he can. What he is trying to accomplish is to marry technology with hand drawn animation and rekindle a love affair with that style for a new generation. The version of duet you guys have seen is not the finished version. Well it kind of is. It's the cinematic version but there is another version coming specifically for project tango devices (for those that don't know project tango its special smart phones and tablets that can "see" in 3d and that are able to figure out where they are in relation to the room. A whole lot more than just an accelerometer) which will allow the user to pan around the room and see different aspects of the video. It's some extremely cool stuff!