• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monthly Sales Figures

665 posts in this topic

Rocket Raccoon outselling Superman :eek:

17 Rocket Raccoon 2 $3.99 Marvel 56,597

18 Superman 34 $3.99 DC 56,568

Ouch! That is a huge tumble for a number 2 issue. It sold 293,000+ copies of issue 1 in July. Those Loot Crate sales were already going to disappear (what did Loot Crate add to issue 1 about 150,000 copies?), but what about the non-Loot Crate copies? It will be interesting to see where this comic ends up by issue 6.

Edited by rjrjr

Manifest Destiny also increased from #2 to #9 by over 10%.

:applause: easily my favorite title right now.

Concerned Buying Trend...

you and krighton must be pretty upset that you no longer have all those copies you talked up, if only you could go back in time and buy all the copies back at those prices from the shrewd buyers that paid you....

simpsons-mr-burns-smithers-money-fight-13737062870.gif

Edited by CBT

Ouch! That is a huge tumble for a number 2 issue. It sold 293,000+ copies of issue 1 in July. Those Loot Crate sales were already going to disappear (what did Loot Crate add to issue 1 about 150,000 copies?), but what about the non-Loot Crate copies? It will be interesting to see where this comic ends up by issue 6.

GOTG is now in the top 10. Did that happen before the movie? It will be interesting to see the numbers trend. Personally I think the numbers would go up if they got rid of Bendis.

GOTG is now in the top 10. Did that happen before the movie? It will be interesting to see the numbers trend. Personally I think the numbers would go up if they got rid of Bendis.

GOTG is in the top 10 but not because sales went up on that book. It sold 2,000 less copies in August than it did in July.

Last month, a top 10 comic sold 76,000+ copies. This month, a top 10 comic sold 58,000+ copies.

Last month, a top 25 comic sold 60,000+ copies. This month, a top 25 comic sold 50,000+ copies.

Last month, a top 50 comic sold 46,000+ copies. This month, a top 50 comic sold 37,000+ copies.

Last month, a top 100 comic sold 28,000+ copies. This month, a top 100 comic sold 23,000+ copies.

Last month, a top 200 comic sold 11,500+ copies. This month, a top 200 comic sold 8,900+ copies.

DC is going to miss the current creative team they have on Batman. That book has managed to stay near the top of the charts for close to 3 years now.

Edited by rjrjr

Manifest Destiny also increased from #2 to #9 by over 10%.

:applause: easily my favorite title right now.

Concerned Buying Trend...

you and krighton must be pretty upset that you no longer have all those copies you talked up, if only you could go back in time and buy all the copies back at those prices from the shrewd buyers that paid you....

If feel like I've seen this comment a dozen times.

Every time somebody go talking about boxing, you gotta bring up Rocky Marciano.

Sorry if this is a repetitive question. Is there a break even point for the publisher and creative team. There seem to be tons of titles barely pulling a few thousand.

Of course, but every book is going to be different based on a lot of different factors specific to that comic.

Sorry if this is a repetitive question. Is there a break even point for the publisher and creative team. There seem to be tons of titles barely pulling a few thousand.

Of course, but every book is going to be different based on a lot of different factors specific to that comic.

for creator owned titles it appears you need to be selling 7000-8000/issue to stay afloat.

for creator owned titles it appears you need to be selling 7000-8000/issue to stay afloat.

I don't even think a lot of the smaller companies ever even reach that like IDW, BOOM, and ones even smaller than them. I guess if you are saying Image, that sounds about right looking at series that have been cancelled, but even then it takes a while flying under that mark.

I know when I asked Matt Kindt about Mind MGMT and he said Dark Horse was really happy with how many copies he was selling (usually in the 4-6k range)

I don't even think a lot of the smaller companies ever even reach that like IDW, BOOM, and ones even smaller than them. I guess if you are saying Image, that sounds about right looking at series that have been cancelled, but even then it takes a while flying under that mark.

For the big name guys, i think the levels would be higher as it has to be not just enough to stay afloat, but advantageous enough to prevent them from just doing work for hire at Marvel and DC

So do they make more on their own or working at DC or Marvel ? Excluding McFarlane and Kirkman.

I would imagine most creators would make more money working at DC or Marvel plus payroll employees get benefits. The trade off obviously is they don't own the characters and cannot reap the benefits that DC and Marvel do from the movies, merchandise, etc. But this isn't really any different than someone working for a company versus working for them self.

I don't know the details of Millar's deal with Marvel over Kick-.

So do they make more on their own or working at DC or Marvel ? Excluding McFarlane and Kirkman.

I think its more about potential earnings. work for hire provides them job security, and a good paycheck. Creator owned gives them the opportunity to be more free while simultaneously having the chance of "hitting it big". Think Saga, Walking Dead, etc.

I would imagine most creators would make more money working at DC or Marvel plus payroll employees get benefits.

That probably doesn't apply to creative talent, but only to employees such as editors, production people. etc. Granted some creative talent are also doing other aspects of comic work, but it's probably not the creative work that gets them the benefits

I know when I asked Matt Kindt about Mind MGMT and he said Dark Horse was really happy with how many copies he was selling (usually in the 4-6k range)

Would be interesting to see what each companies break even is. 4-6k doesn't seem like much.

I think its more about potential earnings. work for hire provides them job security, and a good paycheck. Creator owned gives them the opportunity to be more free while simultaneously having the chance of "hitting it big". Think Saga, Walking Dead, etc.

If those two are what you're shooting for you're better off buying a lottery ticket. Seems like an average of 6 books in the top 100 are non-big 2. I would suspect it's the only way most people can get their foot in the door now.