• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monthly Sales Figures

665 posts in this topic

I think what Marvel and DC doing is even more bubbly. Death of Wolverine came out twice in October, as did Amazing Spider-man with issues #8 and #9, Avengers X-men Axis #1, #2 and #3, and there was another Wolverine Death tie in. DC had JLA twice and there were 5 different Batman Eternal books last month. Those companies are selling more books to less people through manipulation and that isn't counting the 1 in whatever variant numbers. I think Image's growth is more natural though I agree speculationdoes play a part. Speaking of which, how are Harley Quinn and Deadpool doing ? :grin:

Good point about Marvel and DC. I think the entire market is speculative right now though. It is hard to truly estimate the market because of the variants, but a bigger issue is online sales. To understand how many readers the market has, they really need to be public about online sales. Have they ever explained why they aren't?

Outside of Death of Wolverine, I think ASM and Batman Eternal are really solid books. I'm glad to see Indies step in to the market, but I also feel like Marvel and DC are both putting out quality books.

It is worrisome that there are only 6 indies in the top 100 though. Aren't three of them Kirkman books too?

They have been public about digital sales. Roughly 10-15% of print is what has been reported. Every few months, ICV2 has an article about it. Digital sales are augmenting print sales, not replacing them from all accounts.

And it has been a year or so, but someone at DC said what sells in print is what sells in digital. They roughly mirror each other. So people who think some books only sell in digital but not print are kidding themselves.

Edited by rjrjr

Do you have a link? Still doesn't sound like hard data. I want to see issue specific data.

Here is a breakdown of 2013 sales:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/comics/article/63319-comics-graphic-novels-market-hit-870-million-in-2013.html

Here is an article saying digital sales are flat for 2014. This after experience phenomenal growth for a few years:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/digital/conferences/article/64332-icv2-confab-showcases-new-comics-customers-growing-sales.html

There are many other links (and some more current) if you type "ICV2 digital sales" using Google.

As for the quote from the DC executive, I don't remember where I saw the interview, although I suspect it was at ICV2 as well.

I think it is safe to say that currently, digital sales seemed to have topped out around 10-15% of print.

Edited by rjrjr

how much of that indie market do you think is speculative driven though? From 20% to 40% in 5 years without many headline titles to account for, sounds pretty bubbly to me.

I guess you haven't read any. What Vol. is Captain America about to be on, 8?

how much of that indie market do you think is speculative driven though? From 20% to 40% in 5 years without many headline titles to account for, sounds pretty bubbly to me.

You guessed wrong, but what i do or dont read has nothing to do with my comment.

As for Captain America Vol 7, which is the current series, it sold over 120,000 copies on its release. The Big two constantly recycling series to try and maintain their market isnt really relevant either though.

The indie market (supposedly, i havent looked at the numbers myself) went from 20% to 40% of the market in 5 years. That's a massive increase without very few high sales books to show for it.

During the exact same time period, speculation in comics has gone wild, likely accounting for the vast majority of those gains. When did Walking Dead on TV become big again?

Edited by CBT

You guessed wrong, but what i do or dont read has nothing to do with my comment.

As for Captain America Vol 7, which is the current series, it sold over 120,000 copies on its release. The Big two constantly recycling series to try and maintain their market isnt really relevant either though.

The indie market (supposedly, i havent looked at the numbers myself) went from 20% to 40% of the market in 5 years. That's a massive increase without very few high sales books to show for it.

During the exact same time period, speculation in comics has gone wild, likely accounting for the vast majority of those gains. When did Walking Dead on TV become big again?

My point was that speculation is causing ALL companies to grow but the indies are growing at a faster clip. Indies are doing it across a broad spectrum of titles and companies. Image only makes up roughly 1/4 of indie sales so I don't think speculation alone is driving it. I think diversity and choice of subject matter both help the growth. Marvel and DC are approaching this from a different angle. They are simply overloading the market with very popular characters.

Avengers X-Men Axis (3 issues) 311,000

Death of Wolverine (2 issues) 307,000 copies

Batman Eternal (5) 267,000

Amazing Spider-man (2) 215,000

New 52 Future's End (5) 179,000

DoW Logan Legacy (3) 167,000

Justice League (2) 150,000

Earth 2 Worlds End (4) 150,000

Avengers (2) 106,000

Spidey 2099 (2) 82,000

That works out to 1.9 million copies over just 10 titles. They are selling more books to less readers, at least on the surface of it.

Total sales units and $ sales for the top 300 comics were up according to comichron. Here is their calculation.

The Top 300 Comics sold

8.41 million copies

(up 8% vs. same month previous year)

(up 36% vs. same month 5 years earlier)

(up 42% vs. same month 10 years earlier)

(up 30% vs. same month 15 years earlier)

The Top 300 Comics had sales worth

$31.94 million

(up 10% vs. same month previous year)

(up 49% vs. same month 5 years earlier)

(up 87% vs. same month 10 years earlier)

(up 84% vs. same month 15 years earlier)

The year to year numbers are pretty steady relative to the 5 and 10 year numbers. The growth started before TWD was a TV show.

my comments werent aimed towards you Authority, just replying to his comment. I was just speaking generally. My view has been that the entire market is a bubble for a long long time.

I am pretty familiar with comichron numbers and icv2, etc. I've followed them pretty consistently since around the time civil war was released.

My comment was just an observation on the "indie rise from 20-40" comment. Given that the growth and rise for that segment of the market has coincided with Walking Dead's rise, and the eternal chase for "the next Walking Dead".

I agree that speculation isnt growing the indie market alone, but I think it plays a far greater role than most realize. Within the big two, artificial rarity variants and reboots are doing the same thing, but maintaining rather than boosting.

A good break down of the new 52 actually showed that all they really managed to achieve was to increase the readership of their top tier books by lowering the readership of the bottom. (Once the initial speculative burst wore off).

Edited by CBT

I find all these opinions to be closer to environmentalists versus conservationists. On one hand if current comic book sales go down the gloom and doom responds with the same ole arguments the bubble has burst and or times they be a changing. Then on the flip side when comic books sales increase to a higher than many years level like the current market the other side of the argument comes out the bubble is here - sky is falling hit the deck.

Honestly I think the industry is making a bounce back and the proof is the rise of the indie books and writer / artist teams promoting their own creator works. Take a look at all the network and cable companies locking up and pushing through series based on these properties non walking dead wise.

Edited by natevegas

my comments werent aimed towards you Authority, just replying to his comment. I was just speaking generally. My view has been that the entire market is a bubble for a long long time.

I am pretty familiar with comichron numbers and icv2, etc. I've followed them pretty consistently since around the time civil war was released.

My comment was just an observation on the "indie rise from 20-40" comment. Given that the growth and rise for that segment of the market has coincided with Walking Dead's rise, and the eternal chase for "the next Walking Dead".

I agree that speculation isnt growing the indie market alone, but I think it plays a far greater role than most realize. Within the big two, artificial rarity variants and reboots are doing the same thing, but maintaining rather than boosting.

A good break down of the new 52 actually showed that all they really managed to achieve was to increase the readership of their top tier books by lowering the readership of the bottom. (Once the initial speculative burst wore off).

:hi: CBT

I agree with you about the overall bubble which I think falls into a problem with the greater overall economy. The indie speculation books are harder for me to get a grip on. I know stuff like Saga, East of West, Pretty Deadly, Outcast, and Wytches are heavy spec books but its the second tier I have trouble picking which are which. I go heavy spec on books like Rat Queens and I went light on Pretty Deadly relatively speaking. Looking back, RQ doesn't look at all like a spec book but maybe 50 guys did the same thing I did and bought a lot. (shrug) The preview sold me.

Anyway, if I finally figure out why the market does what it does, I'll let you know. Haha ! Right now, I'm just enjoying the ride. :grin:

I find all these opinions to be closer to environmentalists versus conservationists. On one hand if current comic book sales go down the gloom and doom responds with the same ole arguments the bubble has burst and or times they be a changing. Then on the flip side when comic books sales increase to a higher than many years level like the current market the other side of the argument comes out the bubble is here - sky is falling hit the deck.

Honestly I think the industry is making a bounce back and the proof is the rise of the indie books and writer / artist teams promoting their own creator works. Take a look at all the network and cable companies locking up and pushing through series based on these properties non walking dead wise.

:o

Hit the deck ! haha !

You make a good point. I fall on both sides of this coin from time to time. lol

I think the rise of comic related shows and films is a good thing outside of the speculative market. It is pushing writers and artists to new levels because they want to see their show optioned.

It makes sense for networks to use comics. They don't have to pay for a -script and they get to hear from some pretty harsh critics in comic fans.

With the variety and quality of comics, I wouldn't be surprised to see more picked up by networks.

I personally think it is a great time to be a modern reader- even if there is some speculative people driving the market a bit.

:hi: CBT

I agree with you about the overall bubble which I think falls into a problem with the greater overall economy. The indie speculation books are harder for me to get a grip on. I know stuff like Saga, East of West, Pretty Deadly, Outcast, and Wytches are heavy spec books but its the second tier I have trouble picking which are which. I go heavy spec on books like Rat Queens and I went light on Pretty Deadly relatively speaking. Looking back, RQ doesn't look at all like a spec book but maybe 50 guys did the same thing I did and bought a lot. (shrug) The preview sold me.

Anyway, if I finally figure out why the market does what it does, I'll let you know. Haha ! Right now, I'm just enjoying the ride. :grin:

If I had to draw a line in the sand for speculation, I would say:

Any book where a person is buying more than one copy of the same thing, is speculating. That's what died in the late 90s, and started up again in the mid to late 2000s.

The last few years obviously have been exceptional. Marvel and DC doing the 1:X variants amounts to channel stuffing (like what car companies did that wrecked them). The non big-two speculation generally focuses on #1 issues exclusively.

An interesting thing to look at, during this time frame of growth in non-big two comics. How many #1 issues did these companies release each year, and see if that grows by about the same amount as their market share.

My personal opinion is the speculation is pretty equal across the board on comics from the big 2 and from the other publishers.

Here are the reasons I see the other publishers gaining market share on the big two:

1) Online retailer growth

There was a time when you had to buy comics at a LCS, but no more. Not only has the internet opened up the possibility to shop at an online retailer, but the choices at the online retailer are greater than the choices you get at the LCS. Most LCSs stock Marvel and DC and very few indies. Online retailers have leveled the playing field.

2) Renumbering, renumbering, renumbering

Marvel and DC readers are sick of the constant renumbering of their titles. Jump on points? Sure. Jump off points? Absolutely.

3) Non-superhero Stories

If you want to read superhero books, you buy a comic from the big two. But they offer little else for those who are not interested in the umpteenth fight between a hero and a villain. The other publishers are offering other genres and attracting readers who are tired of the same old, same old.

4) Self Contained Titles

If you read a Marvel or DC book for any period of time, eventually, that title is involved with one of the big two events. And this means having to buy other books to get the whole story. With comics published by the indies, you usually only have to buy a single title to get the whole story.

5) Single Creator Vision

Marvel and DC comics take place in a shared universe, with a sharing of duties by many different creators. Every creator contributes a different voice to the characters and titles. Sometimes, the changes between creators on a title can be jarring whether it be a change in writer or artist. With many independent comics, you have a single writer and a single artist, so you get a single vision. You don't get things like Reed Richards being a terrific husband and dad in one issue and a total husband and dad the next issue.

Image has tapped into the audience that has outgrown superhero books and is looking for another genre of comic. The Walking Dead has shown that there is a demand for other genres. Wytches, Saga, Black Science, Velvet, My Little Ponies, GI Joe, etc. show there are a large number of genres that people are interested in. Marvel and DC pretty much have the superhero market wrapped up (sorry Valiant fans, but Valiant will never be as big as Marvel or DC; they have too much momentum) and do a decent job with that genre.

Edited by rjrjr

Who'd have guessed at issue #12 Harley Quinn would be easily out selling Walking Dead each month

Yes and no... the variant market for HQ is pretty hot and I haven't been following it too closely but the title seems to come out with an average 2 variants per issue whereas TWD seems to be trying to slow down on regular monthly variants. Still impressive though but I think it would lose out versus TWD + variants month.

Tooth and Claw at 41,000.

Curious to see what #2 lands at.

Birthright #2 hit 18,000 after having a 27,000 #1.

Tooth and Claw was a much larger run than I expected. People seem to love it. I still haven't read it. Birthright and Copperhead on the other hand are this year's Manifest Destiny/Rat Queens/Sex Criminals/Black Science book imo. Late in the year releases with smaller print runs relative to the big ( Wytches, Outcast, and even Tooth and Nail) Image titles and the art/story in incredible. I'm a reader and a buyer. (thumbs u