• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monthly Sales Figures

665 posts in this topic

So do they make more on their own or working at DC or Marvel ? Excluding McFarlane and Kirkman.

I think its more about potential earnings. work for hire provides them job security, and a good paycheck. Creator owned gives them the opportunity to be more free while simultaneously having the chance of "hitting it big". Think Saga, Walking Dead, etc.

If those two are what you're shooting for you're better off buying a lottery ticket. Seems like an average of 6 books in the top 100 are non-big 2. I would suspect it's the only way most people can get their foot in the door now.

Don't forget TPB sales, those can really make a difference. I don't think you need to be an uber hit to at least make a living. I bet if you search through Art PACT's web site they'll have something about the breakdowns of how much you make per issue sold for a creator owned. I know they had one about Artist and Writer pay rates at the big 2, and basically after OA sales a name artist will pull in about $120k a year, and maybe more if sales hit specific thresholds (incentive contracts)

I also know that Marvel, at least, has exclusive contracts / employees that art artists. I spoke to one that told me as much. So in that scenario I'm not sure if you just get a paycheck or a page rate still. Or maybe it's like a sales job, where you get a nominal paycheck and then based on your performance you get additional.

Manifest Destiny also increased from #2 to #9 by over 10%.

:applause: easily my favorite title right now.

Concerned Buying Trend...

you and krighton must be pretty upset that you no longer have all those copies you talked up, if only you could go back in time and buy all the copies back at those prices from the shrewd buyers that paid you....

If feel like I've seen this comment a dozen times.

Every time somebody go talking about boxing, you gotta bring up Rocky Marciano.

:roflmao:

So do they make more on their own or working at DC or Marvel ? Excluding McFarlane and Kirkman.

I think its more about potential earnings. work for hire provides them job security, and a good paycheck. Creator owned gives them the opportunity to be more free while simultaneously having the chance of "hitting it big". Think Saga, Walking Dead, etc.

If those two are what you're shooting for you're better off buying a lottery ticket. Seems like an average of 6 books in the top 100 are non-big 2. I would suspect it's the only way most people can get their foot in the door now.

It sounds about right. The great thing about creators, writers especially, is that I think they do most of their best stuff early in their career. When a person is young, the world seems bigger and likely to hold more potential than when we get older. 2c

It sounds about right. The great thing about creators, writers especially, is that I think they do most of their best stuff early in their career. When a person is young, the world seems bigger and likely to hold more potential than when we get older. 2c

I'd say it's more that a really great idea can be nurtured for many years before it is produced.

If it is successful, it's likely because of the time and effort that went into the incubation.

Once it is successful, the creator is asked to "do it again --- quickly"!

So, a second great idea is required and no time to nurture it is allowed.

Most people don't have a single great idea, so how many get two?

I'd say it's more that a really great idea can be nurtured for many years before it is produced.

If it is successful, it's likely because of the time and effort that went into the incubation.

Once it is successful, the creator is asked to "do it again --- quickly"!

So, a second great idea is required and no time to nurture it is allowed.

Most people don't have a single great idea, so how many get two?

Good point (thumbs u

Potential sleeper book for the future - Harley Quinn Future's End #1 regular edition had less than 14,000 copies printed.

It's basically like a 2nd print. There are lot's of 2nd prints that don't crack that mark and aren't worth cover price.

I can't figure it out. I know this, I look forward to it more than anything else every month and they're selling enough that I don't worry about them dumping the title. If other people miss it, it's on them but I finally feel safe in knowing we'll make it to the end. :banana:

some of my favs holding up well

Manifest Destiny 7 21,500

Manifest Destiny 8 15,060

Manifest Destiny 9 14,672

Manifest Destiny 10 14,312

Deadly Class 5 17,099

Deadly Class 6 16,305

Deadly Class 7 14,834

Southern Bastards 1 38,029

Southern Bastards 2 25,811

Southern Bastards 3 21,313

Southern Bastards 4 22,317

Deadly Class 5 17,099

Deadly Class 6 16,305

Deadly Class 7 14,834

I'm thankful that all of these are holding up. Issue #7 of MD had 2 covers so it skews that run which has been very consistent otherwise.

Copperhead #1 ---- 24,272

Roche Limit #1 ---- 23,404

Both had nice debuts imo.

Deadly Class 5 17,099

Deadly Class 6 16,305

Deadly Class 7 14,834

I'm thankful that all of these are holding up. Issue #7 of MD had 2 covers so it skews that run which has been very consistent otherwise.

Copperhead #1 ---- 24,272

Roche Limit #1 ---- 23,404

Both had nice debuts imo.

I could see either one of those titles taking off story-wise. I hope they are both planned as ongoing. :wishluck:

I thought Copperhead had a great story. Roche limit was alright, have to wait and see with that one.

The numbers made me a little worried for Manifest Destiny. That's my favorite book and it seems to be hovering at around 14-15k. Really thought it would be climbing by issue 10. I didn't think the cover art on 9-10 was as good as the other issues, and people tend to judge a book by its cover.

I'm always surprised that something pretty meh like Trees can sell 10 to 15k more copies than Letter 44 or Manifest Destiny. Or that Supreme Blue Rose has any sales after that first issue :P

Edited by Mint Pavona

Potential sleeper book for the future - Harley Quinn Future's End #1 regular edition had less than 14,000 copies printed.

It's basically like a 2nd print. There are lot's of 2nd prints that don't crack that mark and aren't worth cover price.

Agreed, but it is Harley and significantly lower print run. I am going to grab a couple just in case.

FWIW, I get $8 - $10 for the regular Detective Comics 32.X with Harley on the cover from last year..........