• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monthly Sales Figures

665 posts in this topic

What's the numbers on Zero?

Poor book gets no love.

No kidding...... More people should be reading this book.

I have a bucket full of early issues and variants... one day.... one day....

Image is now putting out a lot of books with sales of 20,000 plus.

The Walking Dead,

Wytches

Outcast

Saga

East of West

Fade Out

Birthright

Wicked and Devine

Sex Criminals

Low

Southern Bastards

Black Science

Rasputin

Trees

And many more between 10-20,000

Copperhead

Lazarus

Deadly Class

Rat Queens

Manifest Destiny

Punks

Goners

Nailbiter

Supreme Blue Rose

Spawn

Roche limit

Wayward

and God Hates Astronauts

Thus line is steadily building with a lot of diverse, high quality stories.

Thanks for the chart. I know I have more Image on the monthly pull than Marvel or DC.

Copperhead #2 = 17,250. Quickly climbing to the top of the read pile.

Plus issue 2 went back for a 2nd print... Don't see that very often.

Also not your list of 10-20k books is Chew which I believe took a break last month. It had been selling in the 12k range for a while

The Walking Dead,

Wytches (#1)

Outcast (#4)

Saga

East of West

Fade Out (#2)

Birthright (#1)

Wicked and Divine

Sex Criminals

Low (#3)

Southern Bastards

Black Science

Rasputin (#1)

Trees

Copperhead (#2)

Lazarus

Deadly Class

Rat Queens

Manifest Destiny

Punks (#1)

Goners (#1)

Nailbiter

Supreme Blue Rose

Spawn

Roche limit (#1)

Wayward (#2)

and God Hates Astronauts (#2)

Thus line is steadily building with a lot of diverse, high quality stories.

Thanks for the chart. I know I have more Image on the monthly pull than Marvel or DC.

Good list but the numbers are a very deceptive. Look at the all books that are just starting out. To make things worse my favorite books (MD, Deadly Class, Nailbiter, Lazarus) are on the lower list :(

I edited and added Spread and Chew to the chart. I don't think that the number sold reflects the quality of the books so the list wasn't meant to shine a negative light on any of the series. My favorite book in the last several years is East of West it's most recent issue didn't crack the top 100 when it came out. I was just trying to point out that there is a strong 3rd brand again in the market.

I'm like you. I really enjoy most of Image's new stuff AND I realize the numbers are somewhat skewed with the newer issues. Marvel and DC keep pushing low numbered stuff that is a mostly rehashed material. Most of the Image stuff is fresh imo. 2c

A more cleaned up list...

The Walking Dead,

Wytches

Outcast

Saga

East of West

Fade Out

Birthright

Wicked and Devine

Sex Criminals

Low

Southern Bastards

Black Science

Rasputin

Trees

Copperhead

Lazarus

Deadly Class

Spread

Chew

Rat Queens

Manifest Destiny

Invincible

Punks

Goners

Nailbiter

Supreme Blue Rose

Spawn

Roche limit

Wayward

and God Hates Astronauts

This line is steadily building with a lot of diverse, high quality stories.

True but in total units, indie books are now 1/3 of the market and in total sales dollars, indies are almost 40%.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2014/2014-10.html

Marvel and DC had over 75% of the market 10 years ago.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2004/2004-10.html

They had nearly 80% of the market 5 years ago

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2009/2009-10.html

A very subtle change is taking place and people are expanding what they buy. Competition is a very good thing for us imo. :banana:

I think what Marvel and DC doing is even more bubbly. Death of Wolverine came out twice in October, as did Amazing Spider-man with issues #8 and #9, Avengers X-men Axis #1, #2 and #3, and there was another Wolverine Death tie in. DC had JLA twice and there were 5 different Batman Eternal books last month. Those companies are selling more books to less people through manipulation and that isn't counting the 1 in whatever variant numbers. I think Image's growth is more natural though I agree speculationdoes play a part. Speaking of which, how are Harley Quinn and Deadpool doing ? :grin:

Edited by The Authority

I think what Marvel and DC doing is even more bubbly. Death of Wolverine came out twice in October, as did Amazing Spider-man with issues #8 and #9, Avengers X-men Axis #1, #2 and #3, and there was another Wolverine Death tie in. DC had JLA twice and there were 5 different Batman Eternal books last month. Those companies are selling more books to less people through manipulation and that isn't counting the 1 in whatever variant numbers. I think Image's growth is more natural though I agree speculationdoes play a part. Speaking of which, how are Harley Quinn and Deadpool doing ? :grin:

Good point about Marvel and DC. I think the entire market is speculative right now though. It is hard to truly estimate the market because of the variants, but a bigger issue is online sales. To understand how many readers the market has, they really need to be public about online sales. Have they ever explained why they aren't?

Outside of Death of Wolverine, I think ASM and Batman Eternal are really solid books. I'm glad to see Indies step in to the market, but I also feel like Marvel and DC are both putting out quality books.

It is worrisome that there are only 6 indies in the top 100 though. Aren't three of them Kirkman books too?

how much of that indie market do you think is speculative driven though? From 20% to 40% in 5 years without many headline titles to account for, sounds pretty bubbly to me.

I had the same thoughts. Give it a few years to settle.

Also in a couple of years Marvel and DC should see upticks due to movies.

Don't get me wrong I am all for both of them losing market share I just think they will increase again as movies come out as there is going to be a TON of them.

True but in total units, indie books are now 1/3 of the market and in total sales dollars, indies are almost 40%.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2014/2014-10.html

Marvel and DC had over 75% of the market 10 years ago.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2004/2004-10.html

They had nearly 80% of the market 5 years ago

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2009/2009-10.html

A very subtle change is taking place and people are expanding what they buy. Competition is a very good thing for us imo. :banana:

They may have lost focus with all the block buster movies they've cranked out in that time, but to have maintained a subtle yet steady growth, still is impressive.

how much of that indie market do you think is speculative driven though? From 20% to 40% in 5 years without many headline titles to account for, sounds pretty bubbly to me.

Outside of the #1's and a few variants, it shouldn't be attributed to speculation. The indie market is growing because the overall market is becoming more efficient. It's easier to self-publish a book now, easier to distribute (online sales for example), easier to promote with social media, boards, etc. There are lots of little niches that people would buy if someone were catering to them. Big companies often fall into the trap of not catering to those small areas, allowing competitors to come in and chip away at their market share.

Think about Diet Coke for a minute. How many types of Diet Coke can you buy? Diet Coke, Diet caffeine free coke, diet coke with lemon, diet coke with lime, diet coke with splenda, diet cherry coke, diet cherry vanilla coke, coke zero, diet caffeine free cherry vanilla coke, etc

Why would Coke offer all those? It's expensive to make new tastes, hard to evenly distribute them, difficult to market them all. They do it because if they don't, someone else will come in and steal away a small portion of their business. And then someone else comes in, and then someone else, until you start to see your market share diminishing.

That's what is happening in this case.

The question is not really why they are losing share; the question is, are they really focused on staying a leader in this area? Markets like TV, movies, video games, and toys all seem to be higher revenue areas. I would expect parent companies like Disney to refocus on gaining more of those areas, instead of protecting comic book share.