• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SNOWPIERCER - Best comic adaptation that no one will see this summer !

114 posts in this topic

I enjoyed the movie up until the end where it seemed flat and went off the rails... literally.

The ending of the movie for me just didn't work as a good conclusion for the build up. I could actually pin point the exact moment the movie failed for me and that was when the daughter hacked the door. Up until that point it was leading to a very nice dystopian change over where the good man becomes evil for the sake of society and continues the cycle.

Unfortunately we get a very ham fisted explosion that wrecks the train and kills everyone leaving the daughter and some kid on the side of a mountain to freeze to death looking at a polar bear (symbolic of life outside). I was not pleased.

Also, the meal Wilford cooked and served Curtis should have been one of the kids. It would have been very nice and poetic for him to sit back down after the exposition take a bite and realize the taste cementing the change over and continuing the cycle.

Edited by DougC

I was annoyed at all the things that made no sense early on, but give them credit for explaining it all by the end. By that I mean why a train? what kind of technology would still run? and manage to get through tracks unattended for the last 17 years??

However for a Tesla level genius, having kids take over for mechanical parts INSIDE the engine was ridiculous! He had a train car for every need, but not a full service metal shop??

I also was glad the real bad guy wasn't old one leg who "was shot" early on. And looking back the concept of the survivors existing together on one train made a lot of symbolic sense, even if you wonder why the rich took on so many useless poor people at all! since they are willing to purge the excess whenever necessary years later.

I enjoyed the movie up until the end where it seemed flat and went off the rails... literally.

The ending of the movie for me just didn't work as a good conclusion for the build up. I could actually pin point the exact moment the movie failed for me and that was when the daughter hacked the door. Up until that point it was leading to a very nice dystopian change over where the good man becomes evil for the sake of society and continues the cycle.

Unfortunately we get a very ham fisted explosion that wrecks the train and kills everyone leaving the daughter and some kid on the side of a mountain to freeze to death looking at a polar bear (symbolic of life outside). I was not pleased.

Also, the meal Wilford cooked and served Curtis should have been one of the kids. It would have been very nice and poetic for him to sit back down after the exposition take a bite and realize the taste cementing the change over and continuing the cycle.

hm

Interesting points for sure hm.

I feel that if they would have stayed on the train, that humanity would have eventually been doomed... especially since the train was rapidly deteriorating and needed the children as "parts".

Eventually all life would have been used to support the train's existence... rather than the other way around.

Life outside the confines of the train... was the only true chance of survival .

News flash: even polar bears cannot survive in temps that freeze an arm solid in minutes - cold enough to shatter with a hammer....matter of fact that's close to liquid nitrogen temps and there shouldn't even be an atmosphere.

Watched it this week...was good!

Regarding the ending, her being outside and not dying and seeing the polar bear out and about just showed that the Earth was starting to heal itself and start warming up again. All other life was supposed to have died. What was the Asian guy telling her earlier? No subtitles for me...he seemed to be explaining to her something important he noticed about the outside world.

Sequel in the works: 'Icepiercer'

About giant sub with class struggle on board.

Crew wears shoes on head.

News flash: even polar bears cannot survive in temps that freeze an arm solid in minutes - cold enough to shatter with a hammer....matter of fact that's close to liquid nitrogen temps and there shouldn't even be an atmosphere.

His arm freezing was a combination of altitude and wind speed, it was explained as such when they put the clock around his neck.

Crew wears shoes on head.

I found this to be very apt analogy especially in the case it was presented, this was one of the things the movie did right.

mah polar bears and life outside the train.

I think the film makers were very sort sighted when they decided to wreck the train in the mountains and use a polar bear as the "sign of life". I know this goes beyond the message of the movie but a 17 yo drug addict and a traumatized kid (neither of which even knows what outside is) staring at a polar bear will be dead within a couple hours from either the cold or the bear. Also to the bear itself which is a voracious predator (and looks to be very well fed) means life never really died outside the train to begin with like they thought it did.

I am giving this movie way to much credit by analyzing things into it that just were never intentioned to be more than a passing thought. If we all take a step back I think the real message when watching the movie should be this:

We identify with those in the back of the train who are suffering and trying to move up in the system equating it to our own struggles; in reality all of us here are actually those in the front of the train maintaining what we have already gained and acquiring evermore.

I hear ya but if you put a steak in the freezer and hit it with a hammer it will not shatter. That takes way lower temps-liquid nitrogen temps. Which would make the outer train metal itself prone to shattering. And if the altitude differential was so great everyone would have been sucked out of that hole. That's assuming there was an atmosphere, which there wouldn't be at that temp.

It's based upon a comic? I had no idea.

I watched it a few months ago. It was entertaining and though-provoking, but completely nonsensical when you stop think about the internal logic of the movie.

I recommend it if you can look past the over the top nature of it. It's one of those movies where you accept it for what it is from the start.

Bwah ha ha ha!

You forgot School of ROCK

Rock & Roll High School? :shrug:

You could watch the great story Stand and Deliver-about the teacher who yells at the class and storms off when they get the wrong answer instead of using it as a teaching opportunity....