• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SNOWPIERCER - Best comic adaptation that no one will see this summer !

114 posts in this topic

I really liked it. It's a great "sleeper" movie -- the kind of movie that sneaks in under the radar and ends up being a pleasant surprise.

The comparison to Terry Gilliam is apt. Also Jean-Pierre Jeunet who did "City of Lost Children" and "Amelie" and "Alien: Resurrection." The actual director is Joon-Ho Bong, a South Korean who is best known for monster movie "The Host," which I liked. One of the really Gilliam-esque aspects of the movie is the character played by Tilda Swinton, who was almost unrecognizable -- did they use a digital effect to make her eyes further apart, or is she just a weird-looking lady? (Or both?)

Another movie "Snowpiercer" reminds me of is "Runaway Train," with the whole train-as-social-metaphor aspect. "Runaway Train" was a little more existential and bleak and poetic, while "Snowpiercer" took the metaphor to a more detailed level that was interesting. When movies are operating on that level, it's great if you have the option to ignore that aspect and just enjoy the action/suspense, and "Snowpiercer" works that way.

People who watch "Snowpiercer" and turn it off after the first 20 or 30 minutes have missed out, because the movie's look and feel changes significantly as they move up the train.

I just watched it with my wife on Netflix.

Not sure who did the movie, but it felt very "Terry Gilliam"

Overall it was good, but not great. maybe a 6/10 IMO.

I keep seeing it on Netflix but the description stops me cold. This is their blurb:

'The Earth's remaining inhabitants are confined to a single train circling the globe as revolution brews among the class-divided cars.'

It's that "class-divded cars" part. I'm somewhat tired of the 'us vs. them' class warfare meme of the last several years. That drum's been beat so often it's become an overused worn out cliché at this point.

So am I wrong to give it a pass? Was that a major part of the plot? Really, if it's gotten to the point where the "remaining inhabitants are confined to a single train", who gives a damn where you sit. Even if you're up front sitting in the engineers lap tooting the whistle you're still pretty much f'd.

I keep seeing it on Netflix but the description stops me cold. This is their blurb:

'The Earth's remaining inhabitants are confined to a single train circling the globe as revolution brews among the class-divided cars.'

It's that "class-divded cars" part. I'm somewhat tired of the 'us vs. them' class warfare meme of the last several years. That drum's been beat so often it's become an overused worn out cliché at this point.

So am I wrong to give it a pass? Was that a major part of the plot? Really, if it's gotten to the point where the "remaining inhabitants are confined to a single train", who gives a damn where you sit. Even if you're up front sitting in the engineers lap tooting the whistle you're still pretty much f'd.

The perfomances are good even if you feel the theme is tired, they help make the characters in it interesting and memorable. Great production and technically really well done, the action sequences are well above average. It is heavy on the action side at times but a drama at heart. Certainly different enough to most other films that came out at the same time to give it a go. I wouldn't expect a perfect movie out of it but it isn't a stinker by a long shot.

it was pretty much the entire basis of the plot.

It's that "class-divded cars" part. I'm somewhat tired of the 'us vs. them' class warfare meme of the last several years.

The last several years? More like the last several centuries. Look into:

Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, George Orwell, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Fyodor Dostoevsky, E.M. Forster, George Bernard Shaw, Tom Wolfe, Charlotte Bronte, Edith Wharton, D.H. Lawrence, Philip Roth, John Irving, John Steinbeck, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Voltaire, The Bible...

It's that "class-divded cars" part. I'm somewhat tired of the 'us vs. them' class warfare meme of the last several years.

The last several years? More like the last several centuries. Look into:

Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, George Orwell, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Fyodor Dostoevsky, E.M. Forster, George Bernard Shaw, Tom Wolfe, Charlotte Bronte, Edith Wharton, D.H. Lawrence, Philip Roth, John Irving, John Steinbeck, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Voltaire, The Bible...

Let my people go!!..... to the front of this train!

Nah, just ain't feelin' it. Maybe the mood will strike at some point. Just too much good stuff on Netflix to pick from.

This movie was so ridiculous it made the plot of TDKR seem plausible. lol

It was crazy stupid

THIS IS A SHOE. A SHOE DOES NOT BELONG ON THE HEAD. Couldnt watch much more after that.

Can someone summarize wtf the movie was about? A train that doesnt need fuel that endlessly circles the globe without maintenance and sometimes they stick a dude's arm out to freeze then bust it with a hammer. Then there's a revolt. Can someone tell me what the movie is about?

Watched this last night. It's an extremely stupid premise, but a lot of fun. A bit of Oldboy, bit of 300, bit of Matrix. And I'm always enraptured by Tilda Swinton's performances.

A stupid premise can nevertheless be used to explore non-stupid concepts. Like a caste system that keeps the underclass in place by letting them think they have a choice when in fact they can only choose what those in power want them to choose. Like maintaining the status quo, fear of change, survival for its own sake versus progress and risk-taking.

But mainly it's about having cool scenes.

Just in case anyone needs an explanation of the protein bars :o

http://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/18708/what-is-in-the-protein-bars-in-the-snowpiercer

xxx ooo

Rupp

puking-smiley%20gif_zpsk32ma72j.gif

proteinbarsinsnowpiercer_zps246c850c.jpg

That really didn't bother me. I mean the lead character knows that babies taste better than old people, and he's bothered about eating blended, sterile cockroach? Assuming it's high protein and low carb, I'd consider eating those right now.