• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Strain TV Show Discussion Thread

689 posts in this topic

Last night's The Strain was unbelievably good! Who else thought it was disgustingly riveting?

I've not seen it yet, can't wait until tonight!! I like this show better than Walking Dead.

Its getting better putting all the pieces together of the main characters past and motivations. I agree very tense episode involving Dutch.

It's definitely more entertaining than TWD at this point, IMO. It also has a story that is building towards a pretty satisfying conclusion, instead of indefinite rambling.

Last 2 weeks have been exceptionally good, and I too enjoy it far more than Walking Dead. With The Strain when I look at the clock I'm like, damn there's only 20 minutes left!! With TWD, it's more like, God there's still 20 minutes left??

I'm really puzzled by the sales of this book. Especially the #1, the show is now 2 full completed seasons with a 3rd in the words yet the sales on the #1 variant are 1/3 of what they were a year and a half ago. Puzzling.

Just like with all the other TV shows that aren't WD, people were selling the sizzle, not the steak - not to mention that it's not like this particular TV show even originated in comics :shrug:

I'm really puzzled by the sales of this book. Especially the #1, the show is now 2 full completed seasons with a 3rd in the words yet the sales on the #1 variant are 1/3 of what they were a year and a half ago. Puzzling.

The show has about 1.5 million viewers (less than a show like The Arrow which pulls 2.5 million viewers) and it is based on a book. The comic came second. Not exactly recipes for continued success for the comic.

By the way, I'm not dishing the quality of the show or the comic. Just pointing out what I feel are obvious reasons why the comic hasn't moved.

Yeah I was surprised the comic ever blew up in the first place since it was already an adaptation of the books.

I wonder in the end who really cares honestly. Outcast is a recent example the tv deal was announced before or right around the time of the comic book so which is first and which is second. Del Toro wanted The Strain as a tv show first yet everyone passes so he co-wrote the novels and then the comic books making it come full circle back to a tv show.

Yeah I was surprised the comic ever blew up in the first place since it was already an adaptation of the books.

I wonder in the end who really cares honestly. Outcast is a recent example the tv deal was announced before or right around the time of the comic book so which is first and which is second. Del Toro wanted The Strain as a tv show first yet everyone passes so he co-wrote the novels and then the comic books making it come full circle back to a tv show.

Well, obviously the people who enjoy the show care - coz they're certainly not running out to spend $$$ on comic books :baiting:

Outcast was clearly a comic book first. That's a pretty poor comparison - the book has 2 TPBs out, while the show has yet to air.

There's a long history of people not giving a mess about comic book adaptations of stories that first appeared in other media. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the comics are great, but they had a very limited shelf life as a 'hot' collectible.

Outcast was clearly a comic book first. That's a pretty poor comparison - the book has 2 TPBs out, while the show has yet to air.

There's a long history of people not giving a mess about comic book adaptations of stories that first appeared in other media. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the comics are great, but they had a very limited shelf life as a 'hot' collectible.

I'd venture behind the scenes Outcast was and did have right around the time of publication in comic book form a media deal in the beginning stages. Several of these new properties have "conveniently" either have media deals in place before or shortly thereafter. As far as people caring most TV and Movie watchers don't buy comic books and more than likely could care less if it was first, or second, or third before it aired or was shown on the big screen. I think sometimes we lose perspective of this because we are collectors. 2c

This upcoming Sunday night is the season finale.

I still love to hate watch this show. It's so frustratingly inconsistent in its own "rules" & poorly written most of the time. But that's part of the charm as well.