• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Strain TV Show Discussion Thread

689 posts in this topic

Anyone think any of the Vampire hunters survived the failed attempt on kidnapping?

I would be down right shocked if you know who didn't. He is a pretty main character of the books

Was a great scene that I didn't see coming.

Me and my girl both yelled "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" when our favorite character "died." According to Strain wiki, his name was Vaun or Vaughn, it wasn't Quinlan but still he was a total bada$$.

The new Zach has to go, I can't think of a death I'm looking forward to more. He's even more annoying than Carl on WD, as if that's even possible

This show really suffers from awful kid syndrome. It also suffers from "why do you always make the worst possible choice"-itis as well. There's enough plot holes to drive a dumptruck thru it too. But I hate-watch the heck of it. I try to turn off every part of my rational brain & just watch stabby-stabby, shooty-shooty, face-wormy stupidity & not throw my Bad Call Brick at the tv every time something entirely nonsensical happens or is done by a character (or the entire population of a major American city)

This show really suffers from awful kid syndrome. It also suffers from "why do you always make the worst possible choice"-itis as well. There's enough plot holes to drive a dumptruck thru it too. But I hate-watch the heck of it. I try to turn off every part of my rational brain & just watch stabby-stabby, shooty-shooty, face-wormy stupidity & not throw my Bad Call Brick at the tv every time something entirely nonsensical happens or is done by a character (or the entire population of a major American city)

Like say taking the elevator repairman on the elevator to fix the elevator?

So its the little things that are so unrealistic that aggravate you more so than the premise its a show about Vampires? Last time I checked Zomibies are not real either. :baiting:(shrug)

I've gotten non horror fans hooked on this show so it can't be all that bad. :headbang:

I do like how they are changing the show from the book. I hope the ending changes as well.

+1 Good point. Depending upon the ending and how's its done I could see this show continuing or possibly having a spinoff for FX in the future.

This show suffers from critics who want to gripe any and every little thing as well.

If it was little gripes, I'd just stop watching like I did Extant. I have huge gripes about this show & they're all pretty valid: the insufficiently_thoughtful_person kid on the bus & then breaking stuff? Chants of murderer to cheers in 3 seconds for no reason? Guy gets arrested for pulling a suitcase of dirt? WTF nonsense was that?

But as I said, I still hate-watch the out of. Cause it's so poorly executed that I kinda love it. Not in the same way I love the ridiculousness of Sleepy Hollow (at least season 1) but in the way that I wanted to claw out my eyes but didn't because that meant I would have to look away from Under the Dumb seasons 1 & 2. It's great brainless stabby shooty nonsense in the best & worst possible ways

If it was little gripes, I'd just stop watching like I did Extant. I have huge gripes about this show & they're all pretty valid: the insufficiently_thoughtful_person kid on the bus & then breaking stuff? Chants of murderer to cheers in 3 seconds for no reason? Guy gets arrested for pulling a suitcase of dirt? WTF nonsense was that?

But as I said, I still hate-watch the out of. Cause it's so poorly executed that I kinda love it. Not in the same way I love the ridiculousness of Sleepy Hollow (at least season 1) but in the way that I wanted to claw out my eyes but didn't because that meant I would have to look away from Under the Dumb seasons 1 & 2. It's great brainless stabby shooty nonsense in the best & worst possible ways

You know what's funny here? All this stuff you wrote is "stabby shooty nonsense", why the hell did I read it....

:facepalm:

I'm with you. I criticized the show last season earlier in this thread and caught some flak for it. And I don't hate the show! It's a fun enough watch to keep my interest. My point has always been that it could be so much better. It seems the writers regularly make poor decisions that add to the stupidity. The show could be much smarter and more realistic, but the writers are either too lazy, or incapable, of accomplishing that.

And the argument that it's a horror/fantasy/supernatural story so suspension of disbelief is required to enjoy it is not a valid argument when talking about plot holes, lapses in logic, poor dialogue and character development, and "convenient" things happening that move the story along. Like everybody here, I read comics and horror/fantasy/sci-fi novels, and have watched 100s of genre movies and TV shows. Of course a level of suspension of disbelief is required in these genres. But this show surpasses what is (to me) an acceptable level. It is the responsibility of the creators and writers to make the show believable within the world in which it is set, and they consistently fail to do this.

I love your term "hate-watch." I pretty much do the same thing with this show. It's a guilty pleasure, and mostly a fun watch, but there are way too many ridiculous "face palm" moments to ever call it a great show.