• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it a waste to buy lower grade cgc silver & bronze?

38 posts in this topic

I generally try to go no less than 8.0 on key issues, but some of them are crazy expensive at this price. Especially Hulk 181, is it worth it to put money on the lower grades?

Here is some examples?

Ironman #1 7.5

Hulk 181 8.0

I think with keys, the lower grades are a more safe bet. Financially speaking.

They don't demand the huge prices required to obtain them, and when you eventually resell. They are obtainable to a much wider audience. How many people would dish out the bucks it would take to obtain an ASM #1 in 9.0, versus how many would be willing to spend the bucks needed to obtain an ASM #1 in 1.5/2.0?

Mid and lower grade silver keys, are the way to go, IMO. For later resale.

But EVERYTHING eventually being resold, depends on how much you paid for it when you got it. You can sell an ASM #1 for $2,000 and make a tidy profit, if you originally paid $1,000 for it.

Not sure I understand what you're asking. Are you looking for pure investment potential?

If it for your collection, buy books you like and want to have in your collection (and that you can afford).

I want them as a collection. But if there was ever a rainy day, I want to be sure I can get back what I paid for them, it would be nice though if I was able to sell for more than what I bought them.

They don't demand the huge prices required to obtain them, and when you eventually resell. They are obtainable to a much wider audience. How many people would dish out the bucks it would take to obtain an ASM #1 in 9.0, versus how many would be willing to spend the bucks needed to obtain an ASM #1 in 1.5/2.0?

But EVERYTHING eventually being resold, depends on how much you paid for it when you got it. You can sell an ASM #1 for $2,000 and make a tidy profit, if you originally paid $1,000 for it.

Yeah this makes sense. My only concern is that will people want to buy lower grades, or are more people looking for as close to perfection as possible that lower grades will be ignored.

Not sure I understand what you're asking. Are you looking for pure investment potential?

If it for your collection, buy books you like and want to have in your collection (and that you can afford).

I want them as a collection. But if there was ever a rainy day, I want to be sure I can get back what I paid for them, it would be nice though if I was able to sell for more than what I bought them.

Affordable keys are about the most saleable comics there are. I could sell examples like you listed all day long.

Is it better to buy a low grade SA comic than a whopper? How about a beer? Are you better watching the game at home instead of Buffalo Wild Wings and buying a lo grade Ditko Spidey? Skip dessert and buy the comic.

Future you will thank you.

Yeah this makes sense. My only concern is that will people want to buy lower grades, or are more people looking for as close to perfection as possible that lower grades will be ignored.

I my experience It's always easier to sell lower grade keys.

I generally try to go no less than 8.0 on key issues, but some of them are crazy expensive at this price. Especially Hulk 181, is it worth it to put money on the lower grades?

Here is some examples?

Ironman #1 7.5

Hulk 181 8.0

In my experience, if you want to buy something that you can easily re-sell and get your money back, you do not want anything that sells at a premium. If it's something you will want to unload quickly, just pay the normal going price for it. I'll give you an example:

I bought a Walking Dead 1 CGC 9.6 a few years back for $600, I wanted to sell it a short time later, but because I had bought it at a premium, when I was ready to sell it quick, I had to settle for $500. I've kicked myself a few times over this one, as I should've just held it and eventually made a profit. At the time, $600 was top price for a 9.6, and there weren't a lot of people paying that price.

However, when I've bought a low grade Green Lantern 76 for reading purposes (which I've done a few times), and then resold it, I easily recoup what I bought it for and sometimes even make a slight profit.

Another question.

I saw an affordable hulk 181 but without MVS how much does the stamp affect the value of the comic, especially keeping in mind growth in future value.

Certainly don't buy an incomplete book,you can find one complete at relatively the same price.

Another question.

I saw an affordable hulk 181 but without MVS how much does the stamp affect the value of the comic, especially keeping in mind growth in future value.

Welcome to the Boards. They are a wonderful source of information.

Another question.

Welcome to the Boards. They are a wonderful source of information.

Thank you. That's true, reading through this board helped me to avoid some purchasing mistakes.

Another question.

Incomplete books aren't very sought after at all unless they are hard to find in nice condition. Certainly something as common as a Hulk # 181 is something that should be priced very cheaply compared to a complete copy.

Another question.

I buy these all the time, but the price has to be right, and I buy them to flip rather than to hold on to. An incomplete book will appreciate slower than a complete book.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I think low grade silvers make good purchases. The movies have brought back a huge influx of people who loved comics as a kid, and now as they hit the 35 or 40 age they want to pick up books. They don't want to drop thousands but don't mind buying less expensive books that still look nice.

I also think we are going to see a lot of changes in opinion towards restoration. With another company even putting the books in universal slabs, some of the stigma around resto is going to dissipate. It also makes for affordable keys. I imagine my first purchase of AF 15 will be in a PLOD and I'm alright with that fact.

Buy what you can afford, but don't buy low grade stuff because it is slow to move unless it is a major key.

I'm in a minority, but I don't mind an incomplete book as long as the story is intact. For me it's all about the eye appeal of the cover. I have a few books which look higher grade which have a coupon cut out or a pin-up page missing. They are had for much cheaper and look great in my collection!

I also don't mind pieces missing from the back cover if it brings the price down. I'm going after an ASM #1 and Hulk #1 soon, so I have to be ok with this kind of stuff or break the bank! lol

Also if it's a big enough key, there's even a market for coverless copies. Coverless comics can be great fillers, and sometimes the first page looks better than the cover anyway (ST 110).