• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculation misses

227 posts in this topic

Okay, I think I have it now.

Wizard43Preacher1_zps392a5503.jpg

Excellent! It even has a picture. I stand corrected!

But....while acknowledging it was in the "more picks" section, it WAS in the "more picks"....not the "OMGWTFBBQ BUY BUY BUY!!!" section...along with the Ray #11...AND Shaman's Tears #6....

QFT.

Wizard's 'More Picks' section was usually two to four pages, and listed many books. Anyone following these picks by buying multiples probably would have accumulated three or four long boxes of drek in a year's time.

I was collecting Sandman, Spawn, and Sin City so the only thing I didn't buy on that page was Grell's book. lol

I remember Wizard's "Hot List" section (could have the name wrong). I remember walking into my local comic shop and shop keepers making recommendations and pricing based on what Wizard published. I agree with your assessment.

You know what was worse? Their "crystal ball" recommendations. Remember those? They called it the "Comic Watch" in the earlier issues. Issue #20 had X-O Manowar #4, for first appearance of Shadowman, and FF Annual #5, for first solo Silver Surfer.

I'd love to see someone compile a list of all those books, to see if ANY of them panned out.

Someone did a compilation of the Top 10 a while back, and it was interesting, with Witchblade #1, Gen 13 #1, and JLA #1 (I think) appearing in the top spot the most often.

Some that panned out:

HEEziqX.jpg

4mZziEZ.jpg

nRUgNs7.jpg

C4oiGxx.jpg

J7Z1HTE.jpg

vNPVaWW.jpg

ungWURt.jpg

That has always been the case.. The problem with this message board is that people think that this is the only place that exists that hype comics up. I can tell you that Chuck Rozanski ALONE is responsible for hyping comic books on his newsletters which reach 10s of thousands of people who will drink his kool aid, and that has been going on BEFORE wizard. And he's just one of many other dealers riding the bandwagon

I wasn't talking about this message board. I actually think this and CBR are the 2 least aggressive boards in terms of hype without substance. I'm definitely for mentioning hot books and giving the community a heads up. Some of the websites remind me of the old Overstreet magazines that would have a guy giving investment tips and then the same guy was hawking those gems in newsletters and elsewhere. It literally happened. It was really fun to watch. I get the feeling here that people are actually reading what they are promoting even if they are selling to buy the next good read. Some sites have resorted to pushing "D" level characters 1st appearances on books that were never worth buying.

Some that panned out:

HEEziqX.jpg

4mZziEZ.jpg

nRUgNs7.jpg

C4oiGxx.jpg

J7Z1HTE.jpg

vNPVaWW.jpg

ungWURt.jpg

I have to question the phrase "panned out."

After an initial spurt in the early 90's, X-Factor #24 sunk back to oblivion. It's only been in the last year or two that it's gotten any action, after nearly 20 years of nothing.

You're defining "panning out" as being worth it NOW. If we did this thread three years ago, none of those books had "panned out" at that point, except Secret Wars 8 and Spidey #300 (which has ALWAYS performed well.)

All these books...every single one of them...with the aforementioned exceptions...were $5 or less five years ago. Ok, I'll grant $10 for the Spidey #194.

If it takes 20+ years for something to "pan out"...how accurate are their predictions?

Some that panned out:

HEEziqX.jpg

4mZziEZ.jpg

nRUgNs7.jpg

C4oiGxx.jpg

J7Z1HTE.jpg

vNPVaWW.jpg

ungWURt.jpg

After an initial spurt in the early 90's, X-Factor #24 sunk back to oblivion. It's only been in the last year or two that it's gotten any action, after nearly 20 years of nothing.

You're defining "panning out" as being worth it NOW. If we did this thread three years ago, none of those books had "panned out" at that point, except Secret Wars 8 and Spidey #300 (which has ALWAYS performed well.)

All these books...every single one of them...with the aforementioned exceptions...were $5 or less five years ago. Ok, I'll grant $10 for the Spidey #194.

If it takes 20+ years for something to "pan out"...how accurate are their predictions?

What do you mean, if they can peer that far in to the future... why... they're like Wizards!

Some that panned out:

To be fair, most of the books that they covered were from the copper age, and the vast majority of what was published in that period is not desirable at all. Many of these books may have really popped just recently, but they pretty much always would have returned at least on the original investment, which is more than we can say for other books from the period. But sure, they also picked a lot of clunkers.

What do you mean, if they can peer that far in to the future... why... they're like Wizards!

hm

You know, I can't argue with that logic.

:D

(You know what would have been REALLY cool? If they'd said "PS. These picks won't bear fruit until the second decade of the 21st century. Enjoy your storage bill, suckas!!"...that would have been good.)

;)

To be fair, most of the books that they covered were from the copper age, and the vast majority of what was published in that period is not desirable at all. Many of these books may have really popped just recently, but they pretty much always would have returned at least on the original investment, which is more than we can say for other books from the period. But sure, they also picked a lot of clunkers.

Again...only if you happened to have held them until 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.

What about the people who sold them in 2005? They lost, especially if they paid the $20-$30 for some of these books in 1993. All of those books were "hot" at one point, almost entirely BECAUSE they showed up in those pages.

And, as far as ratios go, the Copper Age has every other age beat in terms of story content. Yes, the first appearance of Barbara Gordon as Batgirl is worth a gobzillion dollars, but not because of the story in the book. The story is awful, typical DC from the 60's. Just terrible. It is what they did with the character AFTER that made it so valuable.

Whereas, the Copper age, you have many, many books that are desirable for their story content, rather than just "first appearance of this or that" or "origin" or whatever.

Much of that stuff (most...?) still holds up today as excellent examples of the artform, and the same cannot be said for the majority of what came before.