• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So this guy asks for a refund...

64 posts in this topic

Had a seller on eBay try to pull something similar to this on me awhile back. Bid on a book with $3.50 shipping and watched the auction end. Right as it was ending the shipping jumped to $9.50 in the last few seconds. Clearly the guy didn't get what he thought he would and figured I wouldn't notice. I messaged him when I payed and said $9.50 shipping for one book was insane and he responded he would refund the difference after he shipped it.

Let's just say the guy was horrible at covering his tracks. In the item's description he mentioned that shipping was $3.50 and instead of shipping through Paypal he shipped through the post office and it had the $3 something price label on the package. I got back in touch with him wondering about the shipping refund he had promised and he told me the difference was his supply and gas cost and that he wouldn't be issuing any refund. He then demanded I return the book, which I refused, and I ended up leaving a negative. Only one I've ever left.

How long ago was it when you were able to change the prices on items that have a bid on it? As long as i remember if someone bids on something, you cant change anything about the auction, price wise or description wise for that matter.

How long ago was it when you were able to change the prices on items that have a bid on it? As long as i remember if someone bids on something, you cant change anything about the auction, price wise or description wise for that matter.

That's what I thought too. For awhile I wondered if I just missed something (hence why I paid and asked him instead) but when I saw the $3.50 mentioned in the description I knew something was up for sure.

The problem with this is that people like me weed your listings out of our searches, because I assume that someone who states "NO RETURNS" (when in reality there is no such thing on E-bay) is not willing to stand behind the product they are selling.

I've gotten so many books with undisclosed issues like back cover stains/tears, popped staples, and loose centerfolds that I am just no going to risk dealing with a seller that implies that they won't stand behind their product. It just isn't worth the hassle.

The scammers will still buy your stuff though, because they know that they can always force the return through Paypal.

This is why I state NO RETURNS on my eBay listings. I'm finding that more often than not, buyers really want the item knowing they can't return it and thus far *knock on wood* have not had a single issue, much less a request for refund.

With that being said, would a problem arise, I'd be more than happy to offer a full refund for returned item - I just don't advertise it. I, personally, think it weeds out the "meh, if I'm not 100% happy, I'll return it or ask for a partial" people. Ones that get buyers remorse 2 seconds after spending the money.

That was the issue with this buyer. He disagreed with the grade. No worries. I offer a no-questions-asked unconditional 14-day return policy on everything I sell whether it's a comic book, toy or card.

I grade each book to the best of my ability. I'm one person grading 300+ books a week. Sometimes one slips through the cracks, and I have no problem with that. Sometimes I stand behind my grade but the buyer disagrees anyway. Either way there's no problem here. Send it back, I refund the money, I reassess the book and see what I missed (if anything) and put it back up for sale.

I have no problem giving great customer service.

Peace,

Chip

...and I reply, "No problem, just ship the book back."

I get a message from him the other day :

Hello I sent the comic this morning. The estimated delivery date is Thursday 07/17 via USPS tracking ##13091040000047318250 The total cost was 6.95 for shipping; this does not include my supplies, gas, 1$ parking fee and insurance to insure the comic arrives without incident. I would like the postage refund to be adjusted please.

I get the comic today. It was shipped without a bag or board (which is NOT how it was shipped to him) and shipped inside a makeshift cardboard envelope within a flattened Priority Mail box.

I really hate people sometimes. I'm not refunding him anymore than what the terms of the auction stated when he wanted a refund (buyer pays return shipping...that's the eBay default) and if he leaves a negative I'll call and have the feedback removed.

Peace,

Chip

I sold a book and the buyer decided he did not want to keep the book so I asked him to return it and I would refund fully. I sent the book bagged and boarded and inside a top loader and packaged in a cardboard box. When I got it back I noted I didn't get the top loader back. Kind of annoying.

Good for you Chip. People suck sometimes.

Best wishes

Thanks Mark, I appreciate it.

How's things by you? Everything good with the Shellhead collection? :)

Peace,

Chip

Thanks Chip! I'm doing great and hope you are as well. The collection is doing great but I need to slow down. Spending too much! :)

Good luck with eBay. I really try to avoid selling there as much as possible.

All the best,

Marc

Had a seller on eBay try to pull something similar to this on me awhile back. Bid on a book with $3.50 shipping and watched the auction end. Right as it was ending the shipping jumped to $9.50 in the last few seconds. Clearly the guy didn't get what he thought he would and figured I wouldn't notice. I messaged him when I payed and said $9.50 shipping for one book was insane and he responded he would refund the difference after he shipped it.

Let's just say the guy was horrible at covering his tracks. In the item's description he mentioned that shipping was $3.50 and instead of shipping through Paypal he shipped through the post office and it had the $3 something price label on the package. I got back in touch with him wondering about the shipping refund he had promised and he told me the difference was his supply and gas cost and that he wouldn't be issuing any refund. He then demanded I return the book, which I refused, and I ended up leaving a negative. Only one I've ever left.

Apparently, changing shipping costs post-auction is allowed. A week or so ago I won an auction for a price about four times guide. The seller e-mailed me that since the price was higher than expected he was raising the shipping charge from $5.50 to $16.95 to cover the cost of using a box rather than an envelope and to buy additional insurance.

I told him I would only pay the $5.50 listed in his auction. He replied that in that case he would ship it in an envelope with the minimum insurance. I replied that if the book were lost or damaged in transit, it would be his problem.

He shipped it in a box.

You couldn't find a cheaper copy? 4 times guide is crazy

Why? I can think of dozens of books I'd pay 4x guide for and immediately be able to flip for more.

Exactly.

Paying multiples of guide for certain books has been going on way before CGC.

For instance, Archie 50 is a book that goes for well over guide.

wow I was always under the impression that guide overvalued things-like people mock dealers that pull out the guide when pricing.

Even moderns are obtaining over guide all the time. It's mainly older books but moderns do have exceptions. Like all the image titles that were so hot a couple of years ago.

Is there some pattern to what books are far over guide or is it just hit or miss market oddities?

...and I reply, "No problem, just ship the book back."

I get a message from him the other day :

Hello I sent the comic this morning. The estimated delivery date is Thursday 07/17 via USPS tracking ##13091040000047318250 The total cost was 6.95 for shipping; this does not include my supplies, gas, 1$ parking fee and insurance to insure the comic arrives without incident. I would like the postage refund to be adjusted please.

I get the comic today. It was shipped without a bag or board (which is NOT how it was shipped to him) and shipped inside a makeshift cardboard envelope within a flattened Priority Mail box.

I really hate people sometimes. I'm not refunding him anymore than what the terms of the auction stated when he wanted a refund (buyer pays return shipping...that's the eBay default) and if he leaves a negative I'll call and have the feedback removed.

Peace,

Chip

So what kind of insurance did this character buy that wasn't included in the postage price? hm If it has tracking, then it should have insurance included up to a certain amount.

According to USPS.com, a Priority Mail Flat Rate 12.5 x 9.5 envelope includes tracking and insurance to $50 and costs $5.60 and would have enough room for a few sheets of rigid cardboard. Hopefully this wasn't a $50+ item that got sent back in the crummy packing you described. :eek: