• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal monsters of old come together again - WATCH OUT!
1 1

280 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Now, I'm confused with your "shelf-life" explanation.

When I think Lady Gaga, I think 2009. hm 

I'm good with Lady Gaga. Her turn in American Horror Story last year was decent, and I think she's going to surprise a lot of people when the remake of A Star Is Born hits.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

I'm good with Lady Gaga. Her turn in American Horror Story last year was decent, and I think she's going to surprise a lot of people when the remake of A Star Is Born hits.

That's what I was thinking. I could see her pulling off the Bride of Frankenstein. 

1 hour ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

I know she's done some TV and the Superbowl and had an Oscar nominated song, but I just still think of her coming out of an egg on stage or having horns on her head. lol 

That is why she be perfect for a monster movie. lol.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Universal's DARK UNIVERSE May Already Be Dead As Alex Kurtzman And Chris Morgan Walk Away

Universal's Dark Universe got off to a bad start with Dracula Untold and while the studio hoped moviegoers would forget about that by relaunching this shared world with The Mummy, it too being a critical and commercial dud was a major setback.

Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan were hired to spearhead a slate of films revolving around everyone from Frankenstein to the Wolf Man but both have chosen to walk away following The Mummy's failure. They're arguably responsible for that movie bombing, of course, and now Kurtzman will focus on Star Trek: Discovery while Morgan is turning his sights back to the profitable Fast & Furious franchise.

Universal pulled the plug on Bride of Frankenstein's pre-production last month because studio execs felt that writer/director Bill Condon's -script just wasn't where it needed to be and that February 19th, 2019 release date has been shelved. Offices on the Universal lot which were revamped and redecorated in monster regalia at great expense now sit completely empty in Hollywood. 

Well, Universal is now considering offering its monsters to the likes of Jason Blum with one-off movies not connected to a shared world. In other words, yes, it probably is. 

"We've learned many lessons throughout the creative process on Dark Universe so far, and we are viewing these titles as filmmaker-driven vehicles, each with their own distinct vision," says Universal president of production Peter Cramer. "We are not rushing to meet a release date and will move forward with these films when we feel they are the best versions of themselves."

6 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Wow! Was not expecting this quick.

I still hope we at least get Bride and Creature remakes out of this. :wishluck:

I think The Creature has the best chance of finding an audience if updated.

I'm kind of sentimental for both Frankenstein and Creature, because I had their action figures that were bought at Toys 'R Us in 1980.

...and I never played with them. lol 

6 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

I think The Creature has the best chance of finding an audience if updated.

I'm kind of sentimental for both Frankenstein and Creature, because I had their action figures that were bought at Toys 'R Us in 1980.

...and I never played with them. lol 

I hope Universal make their future monsters movies monster movies and not superhero/action flix like the Tom Cruise Mummy was.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

8 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

My DVD of the Lon Chaney's Phantom of the Opera finally arrived. It's a remaster of the 35mm print, so I'm pretty excited to check out one of Universal's first monster movies. I've watched a few scenes and wow, just wow for a movie nearing a 100 years old.

How much was it?

Edited by Ares

2 hours ago, Ares said:

This is my Monsterverse

A1zqotCV2iL._SL1500_.jpg

Precisely. I don't know why, with these reboots and re-imaginings, like "Dracula Untold" and "The Mummy", they insist on straying so far from the original monster designs and aesthetics.  Universal still owns those designs, and they continue to sell merch year in and year out. It seems like a no-brainer, to me at least, to make a Frankenstein that looks like Frankenstein, a Wolfman that looks like Wolfman, etc. They were gothic horror films with timeless creature designs. There are ways to update these monsters without completely throwing away what made them iconic in the first place.

7 hours ago, Ares said:

This is my Monsterverse

A1zqotCV2iL._SL1500_.jpg

We've got that set but the transfers look like poop to me. i bought a sealed copy on ebay, but wonder if I got a boot. Need to find a known legit copy for comparison. I wish they'd release the equivalent on Blu-ray. The current Bu-ray set is just a fraction of them.