• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Benefits of still going to your LCS

51 posts in this topic

Sure there's DCBS and other online ordering options with cheaper discounts but then you might miss something like Jonathan Luna of "Alex and Ada" randomly stopping by to the utter shock of the staff inquiring about the readership of his comic and what the demand for it has been and then proceed to sign the few remaining copies in the store. Cool guy, dedicated, local, and I like that he cares about his product and readership. Too bad I was the only customer there and it was towards the end of the day.

My LCS guy always gives me free stuff when I show up cause I hardly ever make an appearance

I try to retaliate with bringing him something when I come in

I canceled my box recently. Only got a few random new comics and found that I prefer the trade paperbacks to read through things like Black Science, Hawkeye, Fear Agent, Manhattan Projects. I guess Netflix has taught me to not mind being a year behind the current series and to binge watch/read.

But he gave box holders 20% off back issues, which makes me kind of not want to go back. I mean, that's such a substantial discount, not getting it feels like getting hosed.

Sometimes I feel guilty for not frequenting my LCS because buying online is so instantly gratifying. I remember the days where you'd give an LCS a want list and if they were on top of things, you'd have a few things in your pull from the list every month or so.

The internet not only killed the LCS back issue concept, it also ruined people from buying outright - sometimes you see a book at your LCS and as exciting as it is, in the back of your head, you know there's probably 10 other copies online to choose from, so instead of living in the moment and buying the book - you start weighing options.

I miss the days of going to a comic shop, seeing a book you want and buying it because it's something you wanted and couldn't pick it up whenever you want.

My LCS gives 20% all new issues, whether you have a pull list or not. He is always buying collections, many with just drek, but some all silver and bronze. I still enjoy hanging at the store every new comic day.

I go to my LCS every morning. I love it. Seeing all of the new stuff. Getting to rifle through the old stuff. I stay all day long. And after closing I get to take home all of the money in the register!

My LCS does not really carry back issues from anything that occurred prior to 1995. They have nothing to do with CGC but the owner is a good guy. I still go out of loyalty as I have known him since the mid 90's.

Here in NY, I've noticed that around the LI and city area that there are not really any decent comic book stores that stock modern books while having a back issue inventory of any silver or golden age let alone decent books silver or golden age.

It seems that if you are looking for quality back issues that outside of Metropolis Comics which is really an appointment only establishment and a few others, the only way to get these issues is by online means.

I switched shops a few months ago. The shops where I live hardly ever get anything new in or have been picked over, except for a sports card shop that seems to have an awfully good and well priced selection of GA to moderns.

I love going to my LCS Fantastic Comics in Berkeley CA. Bar None best shop in the Bay Area. Cool staff. Cool owners. The staff is even so cool creators think so to seeing as Matt Fraction put the ladies that work there on the cover of a recent issue of Sex Criminals.

Benefits? Turning me on to some of the best reading in my life in the form of their massive TPB inventory. Always stocked to the gills with new releases. I buy my pull from them and some trades and dabble in DCBS for night time drunk TPB purchases and speculation in creator's I believe in.

I go to my LCS every morning. I love it. Seeing all of the new stuff. Getting to rifle through the old stuff. I stay all day long. And after closing I get to take home all of the money in the register!

lol

lol

My local comic shop everything is bagged and board, 30 percent off of new issues, plus an extra 10 percent off if your a veteran, student, or teacher. Plus they have a great pull list system for everyone. Back issues though I usually order online.