• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Benefits of still going to your LCS

51 posts in this topic

I still go every Wednesday or Thursday when I'm off work. I love my LCS. The owner owed me a $11 store credit for something he over charged me on and the next time I came in he gave me a $20 Batman TBP that I was about to purchase with my weekly pulls.

I like going to the LCS but when the staff and owner started quoting " It goes for this much on eBay" and started pricing according to eBay I lost interest.

He used to hold a lot of covers and books I liked for me but over the last few years he has been selling them online. I can sort of understand, he needs to make money for his shop.

But in return I have been shopping more with DCBS and eBay since I know it won't be held for me anyway.

Elvis

This summer decided to visit as many different comic shops that I can. So far have hit 11.

Incredible differences from location to location.

Some don't care about back issues at all.

Most had little graded books, while 3 had quite a bit.

Very little silver or gold to be found at smaller shops.

Most shops are more pop or comic culture shops with comics being 40% of floor space.

That being said, deals could be found at all shops if you look hard enough.

My adventures continue...

I canceled my box recently. Only got a few random new comics and found that I prefer the trade paperbacks to read through things like Black Science, Hawkeye, Fear Agent, Manhattan Projects. I guess Netflix has taught me to not mind being a year behind the current series and to binge watch/read.

But he gave box holders 20% off back issues, which makes me kind of not want to go back. I mean, that's such a substantial discount, not getting it feels like getting hosed.

Loyalty discounts are a great way to keep customers coming back. Are you buying the TPBs through the store? They'd put them on reserve if you ordered ahead, and you'd get your 20%. (insert suspicious "you're just buying them cheaper off Amazon, aren't you?" comment here)

Western Massachusetts used to have a great LCS called Main Vein Comics (circa 2003-2007ish). It was a classic comic book store, all of the old customers that I run into now and then give praise to Moose (owner) for running such a great shop. Nice wall book display/selection, tons of back issues to scour through, new issues weekly (Moose was very well versed in comics and always made great suggestions for new pull list books), big TPB selection, nice horror collectibles, toys, statues, VHS/DVDs, you name it. (But he didn't carry graded books ??? )

Now we only have a few local shops (which are mostly dedicated to gaming) with limited back issue selections. Most of them only carry trade paper backs or new issues.

One of our local shops forces new issues to endure a week of the paper clip torture:

7468bce0-1cbc-48c3-b0f3-8ca705f4543c_zps545855ed.jpg

Not much benefit of going to the LCS out here, but occasionally there is a deal to be had. Most days I walk out of the shops empty handed. Better luck online or at one of the many antique stores here in New England. I always keep my eye out while traveling for my nearest LCS. (thumbs u

The biggest benefit for me is that my LCS do not fold my comics in half unlike my local postal carriers.

I have three stores within 20 minutes of my house.

The closest store which is within 3 minutes of my house has no discounts, no bags and boards, no haggling (would not take $200 for a $210 comic). The worst thing is he is rude and condescending. I visit this store every few months to remind me why I do not visit the store that is within walking distance.

The other two stores are the complete opposite of the first. They provide discounts, bags and boards and are not afraid to haggle. The owners of these two stores are also enjoyable to talk to. I frequent both of these stores every couple of weeks.

Closest comic shop to my house is 140 miles away. The only place to buy books in town is a Hastings...so moderns only. Needless to say, 100% of the graded books I buy are purchased via the internet. I do buy a few moderns here and there locally, but very few. Here's a crazy little tidbit for ya...I've never purchased a comic book from a comic shop. I've looked through a few, but never bought a thing. I went to Mile High Comics in Denver (the big shop in the hood) and looked through the books. Everything was grossly over graded, wildly over priced and just not what I look for in a book. I walked out buying nothing. The wife and kid each bought a book (both moderns), but I came out with nothing. Needless to say, it was disappointing because I just don't get a chance to do that very often and was hoping for a "find". :(

Mile High Chuck is killing himself with unsold stock

Why a guy who stumbled on the most valuable collection in history for cheap should be so greedy is baffling as hell

Why a guy who stumbled on the most valuable collection in history for cheap should be so greedy is baffling as hell

I don't think it's going unsold. They price based on an algorithm that factors in stock and turnover.

I don't think it's going unsold. They price based on an algorithm that factors in stock and turnover.

If that was true whats with all the secret code word sales and 50% off specials etc etc etc

The books are so high priced even at 50% off they're still too high.

This guy tries more gimmicks than inspector gadget to sell his books

I am seeing quite a few shops setting there prices high on gold and silver back issues, saying they aren't getting issues in as much so they would rather set on them then sell them. Then in the same breath person_without_enough_empathy because no one is buying enough to pay the bills.

If that was true whats with all the secret code word sales and 50% off specials etc etc etc

I was there at one of those "half-off" sales. His guys were working overtime to re-price all of the books...hitting the books VF or better first. I'm assuming they were doubling the prices, so at half-price, you were paying regular price.

Inspector Gadget should have been capitalized.

I am seeing quite a few shops setting there prices high on gold and silver back issues, saying they aren't getting issues in as much ...

Well, we too have trouble getting good vintage material in compared to the "old days". But our shop remains the best on the planet. Why?

It's so clean!!!

empty-shelves.jpg

Yeah, but he still sells tons of stuff and he serves an important role in selling books he picks up from other dealers that those dealers can't move.

The only time I buy from him is when he runs his sales on trades.

I don't deal with that Mile High guy, and while I usually don't give much credit to hearsay, I have never heard anything good about him and his store so I don't intend to buy from him.

The reason I still go to my LCS is simple, great people that I like talking to and I still read modern issues. Also the other store here has very great prices on back issues, even keys. I'm also not a hermit. Can't think of a reason NOT to go to my LCS.

I am seeing quite a few shops setting there prices high on gold and silver back issues, saying they aren't getting issues in as much ...

Well, we too have trouble getting good vintage material in compared to the "old days". But our shop remains the best on the planet. Why?

It's so clean!!!

empty-shelves.jpg

..... looks like business is brisk. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u