• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A second copy of CGC 9.0 Action Comics #1 on the census (7/22/14)

1,507 posts in this topic

It's a nice book but 9.0 is a bit generous IMHO.

I thought the same after seeing the top and bottom of the spine at the back cover.

If everyone's saying it's a deserved 9.0 or should be lower because of the bindery tears at the top and bottom of the spine on the back cover, CGC doesn't usually deduct for bindery tears. I've seen them give 9.6s for books with bindery tears of about the same magnitude.

The tear on the left edge of the back cover is a different issue. But still, and although I would never want to give a grade based on scans (and actually I'm not sure if they're really scans or if they're photos, which tend to wash out defects and make everything look whiter than they really are), my assessment based just on what has been posted here is that it's a tremendous copy. Much nicer looking than the 8.5 or other 9.0 copy.

Although again, without having the copy in hand and being able to inspect it closely and hold it up to the light, it's impossible to grade the book properly and I might as well be trying to grade a book through a mylar.

Having successfully navigated my way through the Green Eggs grading competition... and coming in 30th place..... lol .... I would have to say that I would have graded this book a ........... yea.... right there somewhere between an 8.0 VF and a 9.2 NM :popcorn:

I thought the same after seeing the top and bottom of the spine at the back cover.

If everyone's saying it's a deserved 9.0 or should be lower because of the bindery tears at the top and bottom of the spine on the back cover, CGC doesn't usually deduct for bindery tears. I've seen them give 9.6s for books with bindery tears of about the same magnitude.

The tear on the left edge of the back cover is a different issue. But still, and although I would never want to give a grade based on scans (and actually I'm not sure if they're really scans or if they're photos, which tend to wash out defects and make everything look whiter than they really are), my assessment based just on what has been posted here is that it's a tremendous copy. Much nicer looking than the 8.5 or other 9.0 copy.

Although again, without having the copy in hand and being able to inspect it closely and hold it up to the light, it's impossible to grade the book properly and I might as well be trying to grade a book through a mylar.

This. CGC Just gave out a TON of 9.8s on the new ASM #1 horrendous bindery tears (due to the thickness of the pub), partly due to the buzz. If they can due that for a modern, a 9.0 on a 1938 is downright conservative.

This. CGC Just gave out a TON of 9.8s on the new ASM #1 horrendous bindery tears (due to the thickness of the pub), partly due to the buzz. If they can due that for a modern, a 9.0 on a 1938 is downright conservative.

Are these the same kind of bindery tears? They look quite large. Almost like knocks.

Is the last interior page affected by whatever they are? Here's a scan of it.

http://www.cgccomics.com/1134755001/#features/67

Or the seller could request a cashier's check.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/methods.html

Per eBay's website:

Checks, money orders, and bank wire transfers aren't allowed for most eBay purchases.

But sellers can offer these payment methods for certain items in some categories, including Motors, Capital and Business Equipment, Real Estate, and Adult Only.

For more on exceptions, see the accepted payments policy.

Actually, the seller is not allowed to request fund other than through Paypal but the winning bidder can pay any way they like. What is eBay going to do after the winning bidder pays via Bank Wire? Cancel the auction?

Having said all that (and I'm pretty decent at grading from a scan even though it's not accurate) I don't see how anybody could have a problem with the book grading a 9.0 - it looks textbook CGC 9.0 to me.

This is the stuff of dreams. Maybe the time machine works and this is the worst copy of the 12 Action #1's that someone's brought back for sale.

The bindery tears are production related and don't bother me in the slightest.

This is a gorgeous book and as close to a genuine, news stand fresh NM copy as we've ever seen.

I just hope the staple tears aren't recent.

The big players seem to have a handle on where the high grade Action #1's are so I'm surprised we don't seem to have heard about this copy, particularly since the video confirms it was last sold by a dealer.

00_Action1_Cover_zps27981553.png

67_Action1_BackCover_zpsb5661142.png

In the old days CGC would have given this a 9.4 if it was a Church copy as they always seems to ignore bindery tears.

I thought this too -- given that I collect Silver -- I wouldn't want to see those corner/bindery tears and bottom staple wear on a Silver 9.0. :sumo:

I am not familiar with the grading curve on Gold, nor how the "key" bump might also apply. (shrug)

But as there is no outcry over overgrading, I am assuming that this book meets all the period requirements for a 9.0. Certainly the Cage 9.0 shows greater wear and doesn't present nearly as well.

Could be the corner tears are somewhat overlooked as bindery/manufacturing and it is the bottom staple that reflects the grade.

I disagree with the grade but then again, I don't give grade curves on keys or GA/SA era books. To me nothing with a tear and a stain (back cover or front) should get anything above a FN. FN+ is a stretch especially with what appears to be front cover color loss in the yellow near the spine and my GOD those are the worst bindery tears! At what point does a production related bindery tear become a spine split or just a normal tear? But since CGC sets the standards and they've already graded other AC 1's in worse shape at 8.5 and 9.0 it would make no sense to grade this one any lower. By CGC's lax standards, I could see this book getting a 9.2 or 9.4 on a good day.

Don't get me wrong, I think the book is gorgeous and without seeing the Church copy would appear to be the best looking one in existence and deserves a bid in excess of 3 Million. On principle this book and every other graded AC 1 should not be graded higher than FN+ or FN/VF.

As for why it's being sold on ebay, I just watched the video on the backstory of the copy and it tells you everything you need to know to understand why. He even says it "publicity". There are more ebay buyers/sellers than all the other comic auction houses combined. They are also shooting for the moon on this one. It would be a HUGE flop if this copy doesn't sell for more than 2.5 million. That could backfire with the lack of a live final bidding structure but if at least 2 buyers put in unbeatable high bids of 10 million, that's what it'll go for. What I'd like to know is how much they paid for it? If not more than $500k, you can bet they'll be making serious bank with this.

So do you think the seller will offer returns within 14-days and money back guarantee or SNAD clause if the slab incurs SCS?

Will they use the Global Shipping program for international buyers?

Will they end the auction early if some buyer contacts them privately and arranges a private sale for a ridiculous sum?

Will they use registered mail USPS fully insured?

Will they offer combined shipping if the buyer buys the AC 1 plus a $3.99 comic also for sale by the same seller?

Is the buyer allowed to open a case if they claim to receive an empty box?

Will zero feedback new buyers be allowed to bid that can pass the bank account screen?

Will the buyer be given the option to use pay after delivery via paypal or the bill-me-later option?

How many fake AC 1 ebay sites will pop up during the auction that lures traffic and scams a few people?

Will the buyer remember to leave positive feedback for the seller?

Will the seller leave positive feedback immediately after receiving payment or wait until after receiving positive feedback from the buyer?

If the answer to these is mostly no, then it's not a real ebay auction.

So do you think the seller will offer returns within 14-days and money back guarantee or SNAD clause if the slab incurs SCS?

Will they end the auction early if some buyer contacts them privately and arranges a private sale for a ridiculous sum?

Will they offer combined shipping if the buyer buys the AC 1 plus a $3.99 comic also for sale by the same seller?

Will zero feedback new buyers be allowed to bid that can pass the bank account screen?

Will the buyer be given the option to use pay after delivery via paypal or the bill-me-later option?

How many fake AC 1 ebay sites will pop up during the auction that lures traffic and scams a few people?

Will the seller leave positive feedback immediately after receiving payment or wait until after receiving positive feedback from the buyer?

hm

I dont care if its a "real" or a "fake" eBay auction (what ever that means)....

I want to know what the record is for most "watched" auction, and if the AC1 will beat it...

hope they have the servers ready for the last few minutes of the auction... gonna be a lot of lookey-loos.

Wonder if the high rollers are currently being advised on the best "sniping" programs. :D

The pictures are too clear, it's already not a real eBay auction.

The pictures are too clear, it's already not a real eBay auction.

We are in "It's a MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD World" Two.

MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD

00_Action1_Cover_zps27981553.png

67_Action1_BackCover_zpsb5661142.png

In the old days CGC would have given this a 9.4 if it was a Church copy as they always seems to ignore bindery tears.

I thought this too -- given that I collect Silver -- I wouldn't want to see those corner/bindery tears and bottom staple wear on a Silver 9.0. :sumo:

I am not familiar with the grading curve on Gold, nor how the "key" bump might also apply. (shrug)

But as there is no outcry over overgrading, I am assuming that this book meets all the period requirements for a 9.0. Certainly the Cage 9.0 shows greater wear and doesn't present nearly as well.

Could be the corner tears are somewhat overlooked as bindery/manufacturing and it is the bottom staple that reflects the grade.

I disagree with the grade but then again, I don't give grade curves on keys or GA/SA era books. To me nothing with a tear and a stain (back cover or front) should get anything above a FN. FN+ is a stretch especially with what appears to be front cover color loss in the yellow near the spine and my GOD those are the worst bindery tears! At what point does a production related bindery tear become a spine split or just a normal tear? But since CGC sets the standards and they've already graded other AC 1's in worse shape at 8.5 and 9.0 it would make no sense to grade this one any lower. By CGC's lax standards, I could see this book getting a 9.2 or 9.4 on a good day.

Don't get me wrong, I think the book is gorgeous and without seeing the Church copy would appear to be the best looking one in existence and deserves a bid in excess of 3 Million. On principle this book and every other graded AC 1 should not be graded higher than FN+ or FN/VF.

As for why it's being sold on ebay, I just watched the video on the backstory of the copy and it tells you everything you need to know to understand why. He even says it "publicity". There are more ebay buyers/sellers than all the other comic auction houses combined. They are also shooting for the moon on this one. It would be a HUGE flop if this copy doesn't sell for more than 2.5 million. That could backfire with the lack of a live final bidding structure but if at least 2 buyers put in unbeatable high bids of 10 million, that's what it'll go for. What I'd like to know is how much they paid for it? If not more than $500k, you can bet they'll be making serious bank with this.

Why ? ???

I disagree with the grade but then again, I don't give grade curves on keys or GA/SA era books. To me nothing with a tear and a stain (back cover or front) should get anything above a FN. FN+ is a stretch especially with what appears to be front cover color loss in the yellow near the spine and my GOD those are the worst bindery tears!

If you think that book is a 6.0/6.5, then you don't know how to grade comics properly. Sorry.

Every bit of a 9.0. Incredible copy.

I disagree with the grade but then again, I don't give grade curves on keys or GA/SA era books. To me nothing with a tear and a stain (back cover or front) should get anything above a FN. FN+ is a stretch especially with what appears to be front cover color loss in the yellow near the spine and my GOD those are the worst bindery tears!

If you think that book is a 6.0/6.5, then you don't know how to grade comics properly. Sorry.

Disagree. I'll go a step further and propose to buy all his GA stuff graded 6.0/6.5

Disagree. I'll go a step further and propose to buy all his GA stuff graded 6.0/6.5

Good point. I eagerly await his next marketplace thread.

It's odd though. Threads like this always bring out guys who say they would grade the book much lower. I don't see the same amount of tough graders in the marketplace though. Wonder why.

On principle this book and every other graded AC 1 should not be graded higher than FN+ or FN/VF.

Why ? ???

cause some people spend too much time staring at their 9.8 copies of Modern Stuff #1, and spending $5k on 10.0 copies of Chromium Cover #22

To me that book looks like at least a VF+ book just from a conservative review of the scan. In hand it might be even better (since Im assuming there's some wear that doesnt present as much in the scan as in hand)

So 9.0 sounds in the same ball park.

7.0? :eek: