• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A second copy of CGC 9.0 Action Comics #1 on the census (7/22/14)

1,507 posts in this topic

Or the seller could request a cashier's check.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/methods.html

Per eBay's website:

Checks, money orders, and bank wire transfers aren't allowed for most eBay purchases.

But sellers can offer these payment methods for certain items in some categories, including Motors, Capital and Business Equipment, Real Estate, and Adult Only.

For more on exceptions, see the accepted payments policy.

That kinda sucks about the pre-approval…I want to bid on it just to say I did. Granted it would have to be an early bid because I'm not bidding 2 million, even if there is a good chance I will be outbid.

00_Action1_Cover_zps27981553.png

67_Action1_BackCover_zpsb5661142.png

In the old days CGC would have given this a 9.4 if it was a Church copy as they always seems to ignore bindery tears.

It's a nice book but 9.0 is a bit generous IMHO.

I thought this too -- given that I collect Silver -- I wouldn't want to see those corner/bindery tears and bottom staple wear on a Silver 9.0. :sumo:

I am not familiar with the grading curve on Gold, nor how the "key" bump might also apply. (shrug)

But as there is no outcry over overgrading, I am assuming that this book meets all the period requirements for a 9.0. Certainly the Cage 9.0 shows greater wear and doesn't present nearly as well.

Could be the corner tears are somewhat overlooked as bindery/manufacturing and it is the bottom staple that reflects the grade.

Here's what I'd like to see-guy with a box of #1's just waiting for the right moment to flood the market

00_Action1_Cover_zps27981553.png

67_Action1_BackCover_zpsb5661142.png

In the old days CGC would have given this a 9.4 if it was a Church copy as they always seems to ignore bindery tears.

I thought the same after seeing the top and bottom of the spine at the back cover.

Imagine the kerfuffle if this had turned up in the "Can You Spare A Grade?" section of the forum?

PGM - Action Comics #1

lol

Just read this whole thread.....wow. This will be a fun one to watch

Is there a chance eBay will run this similar to a live auction and extend the end time if someone bids within the last minute?

Probably not. They will more than likely want this over fast. Word of mouth is already building up even more traffic to their site now. By the time it ends, they'll want their bandwidth back…and whatever money they make off this sale.

I thought the same after seeing the top and bottom of the spine at the back cover.

If everyone's saying it's a deserved 9.0 or should be lower because of the bindery tears at the top and bottom of the spine on the back cover, CGC doesn't usually deduct for bindery tears. I've seen them give 9.6s for books with bindery tears of about the same magnitude.

The tear on the left edge of the back cover is a different issue. But still, and although I would never want to give a grade based on scans (and actually I'm not sure if they're really scans or if they're photos, which tend to wash out defects and make everything look whiter than they really are), my assessment based just on what has been posted here is that it's a tremendous copy. Much nicer looking than the 8.5 or other 9.0 copy.

Although again, without having the copy in hand and being able to inspect it closely and hold it up to the light, it's impossible to grade the book properly and I might as well be trying to grade a book through a mylar.

Is there a chance eBay will run this similar to a live auction and extend the end time if someone bids within the last minute?

Probably not. They will more than likely want this over fast. Word of mouth is already building up even more traffic to their site now. By the time it ends, they'll want their bandwidth back…and whatever money they make off this sale.

I think it is a mistake to auction it off on eBay unless they have some serious prescreening and if eBay were to change the auction format. This is a book that would normally break the record price if it allowed the final two bidders to go head to head until one of them dropped in an auction in the style that Heritage or Metropolis run.

I think it is a mistake to auction it off on eBay unless they have some serious prescreening and if eBay were to change the auction format. This is a book that would normally break the record price if it allowed the final two bidders to go head to head until one of them dropped in an auction in the style that Heritage or Metropolis run.

Both will most likely be bidding on the book.