• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A second copy of CGC 9.0 Action Comics #1 on the census (7/22/14)

1,507 posts in this topic

So, um, if it was graded a year ago, why does it have the QR code on it? I was under the impression that this was a new feature.

Anyone would think this book was graded, hidden and now reslabbed to be released at the time of the new guide, and as a slap to The 'new' grading company.

Go ahead noobs - we grade Action #1 9.0's.

How you doin'?

Interesting.

Highly doubtful since borock was one of the last few people to see the church copy of action 1 before it got put up.

So, um, if it was graded a year ago, why does it have the QR code on it? I was under the impression that this was a new feature.

Anyone would think this book was graded, hidden and now reslabbed to be released at the time of the new guide, and as a slap to The 'new' grading company.

Go ahead noobs - we grade Action #1 9.0's.

How you doin'?

Interesting.

Highly doubtful since borock was one of the last few people to see the church copy of action 1 before it got put up.

I was meaning more as regard to the 'general public'.

Not the guys itk on here, but the average Joe in the street who sees a potentially world-record setting sale price book in a CGC label.

It would overshadow the launch of a new grading company somewhat.

I should have explained myself better.

So many political things involved for this book to get a completely uninvolved grade. Looks like a 9.2 9.4 to me of course I can only see the front

image_zps5804bcdf.jpg

Sorry if this has been discussed but one has to wonder if the graders were thinking about the other 9.0 when they graded this one. A 9.2 would have dropped the other book by half a million.

9.2? With GA bump that book looks like a 9.6!! Granted there's some glare but from what I can see that doesn't look 9.0 to this guy!!

(worship)

If I was submitting that book and got a 9.0 I would have a serious talk with CGC about it and threaten to deslab

IF it's as good as it looks

My guess is this books was as scrutinized , grade wise, as any book cgc has graded. There is an issue(s) on bc that keeps grade where it is.

Sorry if this has been discussed but one has to wonder if the graders were thinking about the other 9.0 when they graded this one. A 9.2 would have dropped the other book by half a million.

Had this book received a 9.2, I do not believe it would have dropped the other 9.0's value by half a million -- I believe it would have only increased the value of this copy. It already appears to present so well, we may see a "buy the book, not the label" kind of result. Just judging by the scan of the ad page, this copy looks much better, not to mention the white pages.

A T206 Honus Wagner has eclipsed the $2,000,000 mark and there are stamps that have sold for millions. Considering the relevance of superheroes and their undeniable global success in movies, the top comic books have a lot of room for growth.

If a copy of the most valuable comic on the planet were to suddenly get bumped into the No. 2 spot on the census, it doesn't lose $500,000 in value. It's been about three years since that time anyway, Superman has made a successful return to the silver screen and we're about to see a cinematic expansion, from which Man of Steel was the starting point.

Even in a 9.0 holder, if this copy sets a new world record -- the value of the other 9.0 may stand to go up.

My guess is this books was as scrutinized , grade wise, as any book cgc has graded. There is an issue(s) on bc that keeps grade where it is.

Good point Rick.

Let me ask you this though...

Even if this copy does indeed belong in a 9.0 holder, is there a chance that eye appeal wise, this book may even exceed that of the Church copy?

In theory, if the Church copy were to be slabbed, it could come back with PQ that is less than "WHITE" and even if it got a 9.2/9.4 -- the eye appeal of the front cover may rate below this new 9.0.

So we are possibly looking at the best-presenting (front cover anyway) and best PQ copy of Action Comics #1 on the planet.

...just let that sink in. :o

Had this book received a 9.2, I do not believe it would have dropped the other 9.0's value by half a million -- I believe it would have only increased the value of this copy. It already appears to present so well, we may see a "buy the book, not the label" kind of result. Just judging by the scan of the ad page, this copy looks much better, not to mention the white pages.

A T206 Honus Wagner has eclipsed the $2,000,000 mark and there are stamps that have sold for millions. Considering the relevance of superheroes and their undeniable global success in movies, the top comic books have a lot of room for growth.

If a copy of the most valuable comic on the planet were to suddenly get bumped into the No. 2 spot on the census, it doesn't lose $500,000 in value. It's been about three years since that time anyway, Superman has made a successful return to the silver screen and we're about to see a cinematic expansion, from which Man of Steel was the starting point.

Even in a 9.0 holder, if this copy sets a new world record -- the value of the other 9.0 may stand to go up.

Okay, maybe not half a mil. My point was how does a grader stay impartial when they're grading a comic book that's potentially worth millions?

People are curious because the front cover is so pristine and is the area which typically receives the most wear and abuse.

That and the political ramifications of a new highest grade of the most valuable comic on the planet has folks wondering.

People are curious because the front cover is so pristine and is the area which typically receives the most wear and abuse.

That and the political ramifications of a new highest grade of the most valuable comic on the planet has folks wondering.

You can't help but wonder. Also, I'm not trying to knock the book because from the picture it appears to be a beautiful copy. Can you imagine having to hold it and assign a grade to it? Or oops, tape pull. lol

A scan doesn't tell the whole story. You really need to see the book in-hand to determine if you agree or disagree with the grade.

White Pages is huge though, imo. Just imagine if you had so much money that you didn't care about cracking this book out of the holder. Reading an Action #1 with white pages would be pretty sweet.

Antiques Roadshow:

Wow-this is incredible-this pot was found in an antique store by Ben Franklin and is made by Jesus's father Joseph-you can see by the-woops! CRASH

Hmmmm...uh-wait-it uh-seems to be a cheap copy from China......

A scan doesn't tell the whole story. You really need to see the book in-hand to determine if you agree or disagree with the grade.

White Pages is huge though, imo. Just imagine if you had so much money that you didn't care about cracking this book out of the holder. Reading an Action #1 with white pages would be pretty sweet.

:cloud9:

A real playah would fold the cover back and read it while eating buttery popcorn.