• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A second copy of CGC 9.0 Action Comics #1 on the census (7/22/14)

1,507 posts in this topic

I'm new to this group. I've been a minor collector for many years -- making only infrequent purchases, almost always at modest prices -- and the current eBay auction intrigues me, especially after reading the messages on this board. On Tuesday morning (8/19), I submitted a question to the seller via eBay, asking, "Has the book been subjected to pressing, cleaning, trimming, or any other treatments or enhancements?" Two-and-a-half days later, I've received no response of any kind, though my eBay account shows that the message was sent. Kinda troubling, no? If folks are interested in seeing the eBay confirmation of my question, I can share a screen-cap of it -- if someone tells me how to incorporate a JPEG image in a posting to this board!

Well trimming, enhancements or any type of resto is out of the question because the book is a blue label. Pressing, cleaning kinda comes with the territory bro.

I'm new to this group. I've been a minor collector for many years -- making only infrequent purchases, almost always at modest prices -- and the current eBay auction intrigues me, especially after reading the messages on this board. On Tuesday morning (8/19), I submitted a question to the seller via eBay, asking, "Has the book been subjected to pressing, cleaning, trimming, or any other treatments or enhancements?" Two-and-a-half days later, I've received no response of any kind, though my eBay account shows that the message was sent. Kinda troubling, no? If folks are interested in seeing the eBay confirmation of my question, I can share a screen-cap of it -- if someone tells me how to incorporate a JPEG image in a posting to this board!

Are you on the pre-approved bidder list?

What other pieces of Americana might be considered comparablevastly superior to a book like this?

Just off the top of my head... :whistle:

190741_3056034.jpg

nighthwk.jpg

Cool. What might they be worth?

What other pieces of Americana might be considered comparablevastly superior to a book like this?

190741_3056034.jpg

nighthwk.jpg

Cool. What might the be worth?

...er, Tim...... I think you forgot the Cheating Poker Dogs ...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

50-100 mil

Nighthawks would be worth... an unrealistic amount of money. $200,000,000? The auction record for Hopper is around $40,000,000 and that wasn't for one of the most iconic images in American art.

And for the record, I wasn't arguing about superiority...I already know that you're embarrassed to tell people that you collect comics...I was just trying to get a feel for what each respective genre of art considers 'top shelf' Americana and what a wide variety of price ranges people are willing to pay for that Americana.

Why would someone do that to an 8.0?

There was a time when restoring all comics was considered a good thing by a lot of people.

Fast forward 20 years from now and the question might be:

Why would somebody do that to an 8.0?

And the answer would be: There was a time when pressing a comic book was considered to be a good thing by almost everybody. lol

Metropolis, Illinois should've passed a referendum earlier in August to raise enough money to buy it and store it at the Superman museum.

Or Steve Geppi will buy it.

Either way, remember kids: Crack, Press, Resubmit is the way to profit on the resale!

And as everybody here already knows, you are absolutely right. (thumbs u

The resale here should net the owner a multi-million dollar profit for a simple $25 press job! :olol

Well trimming, enhancements or any type of resto is out of the question because the book is a blue label. Pressing, cleaning kinda comes with the territory bro.

Well, it definitely sounds like someone has been drinking a bit too much of the CGC juice! After all, this is now the heady money days of 2014 as opposed to the swwet and innocent days of 2004. lol

Since this particular copy of Action 1 was once residing in a CGC 8.0 slab and now in a CGC 9.0 slab, I assume it could be any of the following:

1) Straight upgrade due to initial CGC grading error;

2) Straight upgrade due to a loosening of CGC grading standards over the years;

3) A nice little press job to give it a friendly squeeze and hug;

4) Any of the other CGC defined non-resto work such as cleaning, assembly & reassembly, resto removal, undetected micro-trimimming, or any other other new non-resto activities that we are not yet privileged to have been made aware of; or

5) Some combination of any or all of the above.

Thank gawd we are no longer living in the days of the Wild West where we did not know what we was buying and we can now make a fully informed purchasing decsion and safely spend our money all warm and comfortable in this CGC age of transparency and full disclosure as evident by the response to SpectreFan's enquiry. lol

And for the record, I wasn't arguing about superiority...I already know that you're embarrassed to tell people that you collect comics...I was just trying to get a feel for what each respective genre of art considers 'top shelf' Americana and what a wide variety of price ranges people are willing to pay for that Americana.

Though to be fair, comparisons like this should probably be restricted to relatively mass-produced items. Unique pieces of iconic American original art would more aptly have to be compared to finding the complete original art to Action #1, which presumably would bring in tens of millions of dollars if sold.

Though to be fair, comparisons like this should probably be restricted to relatively mass-produced items. Unique pieces of iconic American original art would more aptly have to be compared to finding the complete original art to Action #1, which presumably would bring in tens of millions of dollars if sold.

We are also getting to a point where most iconic Americana is not being thought as or has been forgotten about by the new generation.

At least Superman is still relevant compared to a majority of once considered hot Holy Grails.

We are also getting to a point where most iconic Americana is not being thought has or has been forgotten about by the new generation.

At least Superman is still relevant compared to a majority of once considered hot Holy Grails.

Beware of long-range expectations for things that have not been forgotten but perhaps should have.

Case in point: Honus Wagner: Its original value based entirely on its scarcity in a set back when kids obsessed over completing a set, plus the interesting story that it was scarce because he opposed tobacco. That continued long after the average collector ceased to obsess over collecting entire sets of that card and long after people ceased to remember who Honus Wagner was. For generations now it has survived in people's minds simply as something their parents' parents heard was valuable. That could theoretically go on for more generations but I would not agree today to exchange a low grade Action 1 for a high grade Honus Wagner in 2030.

Case in point: Honus Wagner: Its original value based entirely on its scarcity in a set back when kids obsessed over completing a set, plus the interesting story that it was scarce because he opposed tobacco. That continued long after the average collector ceased to obsess over collecting entire sets of that card and long after people ceased to remember who Honus Wagner was. For generations now it has survived in people's minds simply as something their parents' parents heard was valuable. That could theoretically go on for more generations but I would not agree today to exchange a low grade Action 1 for a high grade Honus Wagner in 2030.

The problem with that analogy is that while Wagner is a Hall-of-Fame player, he is not the single most iconic player of all time (as Superman is with super heroes). If that rare/scare card was Ruth, whose popularity will not wane as much, the value would continue to rise.

To me, that's the problem with the Wagner card. If you ask your 10-year-old son or wife or young co-worker who Honus Wagner is, they likely won't know.

there are 4 or 5 high grade copies out there, that you'd never want to own one. I buy high grade Golden Age all the time that have numerous high grade copies on the census. It doesn't affect my desire to own the books.

You say tomato. I say ketchup.

I don't know about not caring to own one, I'm just not sure that even as someone with that sort of wealth that I'd be wanting to get into a bidding war at that multi-million dollar level, for something that seems to keep turning up with new high-grades every couple of years. If I WAS to collect comics, and had big bucks, I'd probably be happy with a nice 4.0 or so, just to say I've got one in my run.

It would seem that 9.0 copy of Action #2 is truly the elusive one! (Unless the Church copy grades that high, and then it still might be unique).

So, you don't collect comics? (shrug) What are you doing here?

there are 4 or 5 high grade copies out there, that you'd never want to own one. I buy high grade Golden Age all the time that have numerous high grade copies on the census. It doesn't affect my desire to own the books.

I don't know about not caring to own one, I'm just not sure that even as someone with that sort of wealth that I'd be wanting to get into a bidding war at that multi-million dollar level, for something that seems to keep turning up with new high-grades every couple of years. If I WAS to collect comics, and had big bucks, I'd probably be happy with a nice 4.0 or so, just to say I've got one in my run.

It would seem that 9.0 copy of Action #2 is truly the elusive one! (Unless the Church copy grades that high, and then it still might be unique).

I have the 2nd largest comic shop in the nation, in physical size. I have an entire room filled with golden-age and silver-age books. I used to collect, but as a dealer I've come to believe that it interferes with your customers if you collect the same stuff they are trying to collect. ("Hey! After 10 years I finally got that rare comic you've had on your want-list! Shame is, this one goes in my collection now, but I'll get you the next one that comes in!" That sort of thing.

But as a major dealer in the stuff, these boards certainly have relevance to me.

I have the 2nd largest comic shop in the nation, in physical size. I have an entire room filled with golden-age and silver-age books. I used to collect, but as a dealer I've come to believe that it interferes with your customers if you collect the same stuff they are trying to collect. ("Hey! After 10 years I finally got that rare comic you've had on your want-list! Shame is, this one goes in my collection now, but I'll get you the next one that comes in!" That sort of thing.

But as a major dealer in the stuff, these boards certainly have relevance to me.

That makes much more sense! Sounds like that collector is still there somewhere beneath the surface though, so what book would you prefer to have over Action 1? If you still collected that is?

The problem with that analogy is that while Wagner is a Hall-of-Fame player, he is not the single most iconic player of all time (as Superman is with super heroes). If that rare/scare card was Ruth, whose popularity will not wane as much, the value would continue to rise.

To me, that's the problem with the Wagner card. If you ask your 10-year-old son or wife or young co-worker who Honus Wagner is, they likely won't know.

That`s a good point.

Superman, Batman, Marvel and Spider-Man will continue to be popular with new generations, while icons like Mickey Mantle, Charles Lindbergh, Elvis and yes,even JFK fade.

My 22 year old nephew didn`t even know who JFK was, as I had to explain to him what the 50th anniversary was about.

I don`t have to explain who Superman and Marvel are.