• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A second copy of CGC 9.0 Action Comics #1 on the census (7/22/14)

1,507 posts in this topic

Superman, Batman, Marvel and Spider-Man will continue to be popular with new generations, while icons like Elvis fade.

:roflmao:

Fixed it for you.

Superman, Batman, Marvel and Spider-Man comics will all have turned to dust yet Elvis will still be King.

Superman, Batman, Marvel and Spider-Man will continue to be popular with new generations, while icons like Elvis fade.

I don`t know how it is in your country,but

Elvis and most of those rock icons have faded here in the states, even John Lennon has.

btw I am a big Elvis fan, but he is not as popular as he was 10 years ago.

To even think he would be more popular then Batman or Marvel in 5 years is showing your bias for Elvis.

An example is I love Humphrey Bogart movies, but even I know most people under a certain age have never heard of him like they have heard of Superman or Batman.

Even the legendary Babe Ruth is starting to fade. Ask a non-sports fan today about Babe Ruth, and half will respond about the candy bar.

Hey I don`t want to see these icons fade, but the majority of the younger generations have their own icons.

Superman is not fading because he can`t get old and die like Elvis and Babe Ruth.

Superman keeps getting reinvented for new audiences.

Another example to prove this is the Victorian Age. If I ask someone on the street to name me one famous person from the Victorian Age they will name me most of the times Sherlock Holmes.

Why?

Sherlock Holmes outlasted them all from the Victorian Age because he never got old and died.

Sherlock Holmes the character kept getting reinvented for new generations.

Same thing has happened to Superman, Batman and Marvel.

Action Comics #1 the first Superman will continue to go up in price, as more and more people will find it even more desirable then it is now.

Elvis and most of those rock icons have faded here the states, even John Lennon has.

It's relative.

When I was taking my kids to music lessons, I cannot explain to you the number of kids who were learning and loved classic rock songs. We're talking kids that were 10, 11 or 12 years old listening to and loving the Beatles, Zeppelin, etc.

Johnny Cash is on fire and has been for a decade now. I go to karaoke and everyone sings along to the Cash and Elvis songs. We're talking college crowd!

Louise's 11 year old son's favorite artists are KISS and Johnny Cash and have been for a few years.

Elvis is also still very popular. How do you measure popularity? With the number of visits to Graceland?

Don't be so sure. There is something happening with youth and they are seeking out the stuff their parents and grandparents grew up with. You know why? Because it's GOOD!

Elvis and most of those rock icons have faded here the states, even John Lennon has.

It's relative.

When I was taking my kids to music lessons, I cannot explain to you the number of kids who were learning and loved classic rock songs. We're talking kids that were 10, 11 or 12 years old listening to and loving the Beatles, Zeppelin, etc.

Johnny Cash is on fire and has been for a decade now. I go to karaoke and everyone sings along to the Cash and Elvis songs. We're talking college crowd!

Louise's 11 year old son's favorite artists are KISS and Johnny Cash and have been for a few years.

Elvis is also still very popular. How do you measure popularity? With the number of visits to Graceland?

Don't be so sure. There is something happening with youth and they are seeking out the stuff their parents and grandparents grew up with. You know why? Because it's GOOD!

(thumbs u

It's relative.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u

It's relative.

To paint with a broad brush(which I don`t like doing).

At one time the music artists you named were quite popular, but they have reached their pop culture peak.

Marvel, Superman and Batman have not reached their peak in popularity.

With 40 plus Marvel and DC movies on the way we will find this is just the beginning in their rise in popularity.

I don`t see the music artists you named being exposed to such a new huge audience that Marvel and DC will be exposed to over the next 5 years.

Another example to your Johnny Cash example is my son listens to the Doors, but that doesn`t mean all of a sudden the Doors will overtake Superman in popularity.

Those rock icons had their day in the sun.

The rock stars have peaked in pop culture popularity,while Superman, Batman and Marvel are headed towards Star Wars and Lord The Rings popularity.

What other pieces of Americana might be considered comparablevastly superior to a book like this?

Just off the top of my head... :whistle:

And for the record, I wasn't arguing about superiority...I already know that you're embarrassed to tell people that you collect comics...I was just trying to get a feel for what each respective genre of art considers 'top shelf' Americana and what a wide variety of price ranges people are willing to pay for that Americana.

Though to be fair, comparisons like this should probably be restricted to relatively mass-produced items. Unique pieces of iconic American original art would more aptly have to be compared to finding the complete original art to Action #1, which presumably would bring in tens of millions of dollars if sold.

We are also getting to a point where most iconic Americana is not being thought has or has been forgotten about by the new generation.

At least Superman is still relevant compared to a majority of once considered hot Holy Grails.

Beware of long-range expectations for things that have not been forgotten but perhaps should have.

Case in point: Honus Wagner: Its original value based entirely on its scarcity in a set back when kids obsessed over completing a set, plus the interesting story that it was scarce because he opposed tobacco. That continued long after the average collector ceased to obsess over collecting entire sets of that card and long after people ceased to remember who Honus Wagner was. For generations now it has survived in people's minds simply as something their parents' parents heard was valuable. That could theoretically go on for more generations but I would not agree today to exchange a low grade Action 1 for a high grade Honus Wagner in 2030.

Oddly enough there is a later Wagner card showing him with a big wad of chew.

It's relative.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u

No one is saying it`s not good.

It`s just won`t be as popular with mainstream compared to Marvel, Superman and Batman in the future.

I am the biggest music fan around, but does anybody really think Elvis and Babe Ruth are more popular than Marvel movies, and Batman?

Remember I am saying more popular, and not better?

Just clarifying that. :)

Case in point: Honus Wagner: Its original value based entirely on its scarcity in a set back when kids obsessed over completing a set, plus the interesting story that it was scarce because he opposed tobacco. That continued long after the average collector ceased to obsess over collecting entire sets of that card and long after people ceased to remember who Honus Wagner was. For generations now it has survived in people's minds simply as something their parents' parents heard was valuable. That could theoretically go on for more generations but I would not agree today to exchange a low grade Action 1 for a high grade Honus Wagner in 2030.

The problem with that analogy is that while Wagner is a Hall-of-Fame player, he is not the single most iconic player of all time (as Superman is with super heroes). If that rare/scare card was Ruth, whose popularity will not wane as much, the value would continue to rise.

To me, that's the problem with the Wagner card. If you ask your 10-year-old son or wife or young co-worker who Honus Wagner is, they likely won't know.

That`s a good point.

Superman, Batman, Marvel and Spider-Man will continue to be popular with new generations, while icons like Mickey Mantle, Charles Lindbergh, Elvis and yes,even JFK fade.

My 22 year old nephew didn`t even know who JFK was, as I had to explain to him what the 50th anniversary was about.

I don`t have to explain who Superman and Marvel are.

I was not trying to compare iconic superheroes with iconic baseball players. I was trying to compare high-value items based on timeless icons, such as Action 1 (or Babe Ruth) versus high-value items which are not based on icons but on esoteric criteria which I think will not stand the test of time (such as the Honus Wagner card),

Baseball has more than a few players whose fame (and the stories behind their fame) may well last many generations including but not limited to Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe Jackson and Jackie Robinson.

Honus Wagner is remembered primarily because collectors in 1909 found it hard to get his card to complete their tobacco card set, and that made it more valuable in trades. Somehow, that carried over many generations to make it worth over a quarter million in POOR condition. What sort of Action 1 or Tec 27 would that get you today? And you would agree today to exchange that book for the Wagner card in 20 years?

The problem with that analogy is that while Wagner is a Hall-of-Fame player, he is not the single most iconic player of all time (as Superman is with super heroes). If that rare/scare card was Ruth, whose popularity will not wane as much, the value would continue to rise.

To me, that's the problem with the Wagner card. If you ask your 10-year-old son or wife or young co-worker who Honus Wagner is, they likely won't know.

That`s a good point.

Superman, Batman, Marvel and Spider-Man will continue to be popular with new generations, while icons like Mickey Mantle, Charles Lindbergh, Elvis and yes,even JFK fade.

My 22 year old nephew didn`t even know who JFK was, as I had to explain to him what the 50th anniversary was about.

I don`t have to explain who Superman and Marvel are.

I was not trying to compare iconic superheroes with iconic baseball players. I was trying to compare high-value items based on timeless icons, such as Action 1 (or Babe Ruth) versus high-value items which are not based on icons but on esoteric criteria which I think will not stand the test of time (such as the Honus Wagner card),

Baseball has more than a few players whose fame (and the stories behind their fame) may well last many generations including but not limited to Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe Jackson and Jackie Robinson.

Honus Wagner is remembered primarily because collectors in 1909 found it hard to get his card to complete their tobacco card set, and that made it more valuable in trades. Somehow, that carried over many generations to make it worth over a quarter million in POOR condition. What sort of Action 1 or Tec 27 would that get you today? And you would agree today to exchange that book for the Wagner card in 20 years?

That was 20 years ago when baseball cards were at their peak in popularity.

You even had Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle going around and being ambassadors for cards. Most of those baseball players are gone now, while Superman and Batman continue to have new adventures to keep their popularity.

These two icons Action 1 and Tec 27 have been undervalued for years, and now are being discovered by mainstream do to the billion dollar blockbuster box office.

In all the other collectibles fields I can`t think of a better bet then Action 1 and Tec 27?

I can`t think of one other Holy Grail in another hobby that has as much long-term upside as Action 1 or Tec 27. hm

That makes much more sense! Sounds like that collector is still there somewhere beneath the surface though, so what book would you prefer to have over Action 1? If you still collected that is?

Oh, I'm alwys tempted. But I'm getting old enough and the books have gotten pricey enough that it's probably too late for me to try and put together a decent collection anyway. I used to collect 1930s comics, and had about 300 of them, including nearly 200 Centaurs. This worked for awhile because none of my locals cared about these books, so I wasn't crossing into their want-lists. But as the store grew and got more of a national recognition, I got a lot of requests for even these. Eventually someone talks you into parting with one or two, and then another. And then once the collection is broken-up, even a little, it's just easier to put them all out for sale.

Now that I think of it... maybe that's why Action #1 doesn't capture my imagination that much... there was a point in my 1930s collecting where I realized that it could never be complete as I'd never be able to afford Action #1 (not to personally keep, anyway), so I think that may have tainted my enthusiasm to continue as well.

So yes... curse you Action #1! You destroyed my collecting bug... all those lovely Centaurs and early More Funs... gone! Gone! Because of YOU! I hope you choke on kryptonite Action #1... so there!

Ah. I feel much better now.

It's relative.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u

It`s just won`t be as popular with mainstream compared to Marvel, Superman and Batman in the future.

I am the biggest music fan around, but does anybody really think Elvis and Babe Ruth are more popular than Marvel movies, and Batman?

Put another way:

Yesterday's Beatles, Elvis, and Guy Lombardo are today's Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, and Taylor Swift.

Yesterday's Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and Ted Williams are today's Miguel Cabrera, Mike Trout, and Clayton Kershaw.

Yesterday's Batman, Superman and Spider-Man are Batman, Superman and Spider-Man.

This is not to say I prefer today's baseball players or pop-acts. Merely that who's popular changes in each of these. Who's popular may some day change in comics. But so far the big three have continued to be the big three for a while.

Fixed it for you.

Superman, Batman, Marvel and Spider-Man comics will all have turned to dust yet Elvis will still be King.

I was reading a book to a group of kids at a library this summer. The book was kind of a "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" type of book and Elvis was briefly in the story.

I sked the kids if they knew who Elvis was and one kid raised his hand and said, "Elvis is who helps Santa make toys at the North Pole." Very funny.

Fixed it for you.

I was reading a book to a group of kids at a library this summer. The book was kind of a "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" type of book and Elvis was briefly in the story.

I sked the kids if they knew who Elvis was and one kid raised his hand and said, "Elvis is who helps Santa make toys at the North Pole." Very funny.

lol. Too cute.

What other pieces of Americana might be considered comparable to a book like this?

The most valuable American literary work is probably Poe's "Tamerlane". But the highest price for that so far is $660,000. With only 12 known copies, and only 2 in private hands, personally for me, if money was no object, I'd take a "Tamerlane" over an Action #1 anyday.

Only 50 printed according to wiki...? It's remarkable that there are 12 known!

Action #1 will have much more demand with future generations then Poe's "Tamerlane.

btw I love Poe`s work, but Superman will gain many more new generations of fans over the next few decades then Poe will.

Like I said in another thread I just don`t see many pieces of Americana that have long-term upside like Detective #27 and Action Comics #1.

They are more the anomaly then the the norm. Something special.

hearing that a 22 year old doesn't know who JFK was is more about the educational system failing than JFK's popularity fading.

also-- that Mozart fellow-- seriously fading!

but that`s it. What Mozart memorabilia is worth over 2 million like Action Comics #1?

That`s what I am getting at that Superman, Batman and Marvel will continue to get more popular, while most of the other icons will lose some of their popularity.

Anybody remember Charles Lindbergh, The Wright Brothers or the Red Baron?

Pioneers of Aviation that have faded in popularity.

30 years ago their memorabilia was way more sought after then Superman and Batman.

What happened to them was their fan base got old and died. They didn`t pick up any new generations of fans like Batman and Superman have.

It's relative.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u

Put another way:

Yesterday's Beatles, Elvis, and Guy Lombardo are today's Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, and Taylor Swift.

Yesterday's Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and Ted Williams are today's Miguel Cabrera, Mike Trout, and Clayton Kershaw.

Yesterday's Batman, Superman and Spider-Man are Batman, Superman and Spider-Man.

This is not to say I prefer today's baseball players or pop-acts. Merely that who's popular changes in each of these. Who's popular may some day change in comics. But so far the big three have continued to be the big three for a while.

^^

hearing that a 22 year old doesn't know who JFK was is more about the educational system failing than JFK's popularity fading.

also-- that Mozart fellow-- seriously fading!

but that`s it. What Mozart memorabilia is worth over 2 million like Action Comics #1?

That`s what I am getting at that Superman, Batman and Marvel will continue to get more popular, while most of the other icons will lose some of their popularity.

Anybody remember Charles Lindbergh, The Wright Brothers or the Red Baron?

Pioneers of Aviation that have faded in popularity.

30 years ago their memorabilia was way more sought after then Superman and Batman.

What happened to them was their fan base got old and died. They didn`t pick up any new generations of fans like Batman and Superman have.

for starters, the comment about Mozart was pure sarcasm (he is still extremely popular to this day-- so is Elvis for that matter).

Anything related to Mozart is probably in a museum or some very private collection of some sort (and really-- how much of it was there to begin with-- this wasn't a consumable market for his work back then).

I think we are talking quite a bit about apples and oranges here. Comparing one of kind art with mass produced (even if rare) comic books is simply not reasonable. Labeling American Gothic as just another piece of Americana seems ludicrous to me also.

It's relative.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u

But we are talking about historical icons, not icons of the present.

A 1 Direction concert will sell out immediately, but people looking to buy memories are not going to 1D concerts. They are buying nostalgia, and Elvis and Babe Ruth are nostalgic icons. As is an Action #1.