• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A second copy of CGC 9.0 Action Comics #1 on the census (7/22/14)

1,507 posts in this topic

hearing that a 22 year old doesn't know who JFK was is more about the educational system failing than JFK's popularity fading.

also-- that Mozart fellow-- seriously fading!

but that`s it. What Mozart memorabilia is worth over 2 million like Action Comics #1?

That`s what I am getting at that Superman, Batman and Marvel will continue to get more popular, while most of the other icons will lose some of their popularity.

Anybody remember Charles Lindbergh, The Wright Brothers or the Red Baron?

Pioneers of Aviation that have faded in popularity.

30 years ago their memorabilia was way more sought after then Superman and Batman.

What happened to them was their fan base got old and died. They didn`t pick up any new generations of fans like Batman and Superman have.

for starters, the comment about Mozart was pure sarcasm (he is still extremely popular to this day-- so is Elvis for that matter).

Anything related to Mozart is probably in a museum or some very private collection of some sort (and really-- how much of it was there to begin with-- this wasn't a consumable market for his work back then).

I think we are talking quite a bit about apples and oranges here. Comparing one of kind art with mass produced (even if rare) comic books is simply not reasonable. Labeling American Gothic as just another piece of Americana seems ludicrous to me also.

I found a 1987 Newspaper article stating that a Mozart hand written manuscript sold for $4.34 MIL

Linky.

Apparently, Mozart was still popular in 1987! lol

NEW WORLD RECORD PRICE

Is it that sneaky GAtor trying to snag it for a steal while at the same time setting a new world record? lol

An original Mozart composition is going to (and should) best what Action 1 in HG will bring. To compare the two is ridiculous.

(Arguably) the greatest musician the world has ever known vs. the greatest fictional superhero. lol

An original Mozart composition is going to (and should) best what Action 1 in HG will bring. To compare the two is ridiculous.

(Arguably) the greatest musician the world has ever known vs. the greatest fictional superhero. lol

Nobody is comparing the two. You missed the point.

I'm trying to show that great things don't fall out of favor simply because other new great things appear.

If something is truly great, it leaves it's mark on history.

hearing that a 22 year old doesn't know who JFK was is more about the educational system failing than JFK's popularity fading.

but that`s it. What Mozart memorabilia is worth over 2 million like Action Comics #1?

That`s what I am getting at that Superman, Batman and Marvel will continue to get more popular, while most of the other icons will lose some of their popularity.

30 years ago their memorabilia was way more sought after then Superman and Batman.

What happened to them was their fan base got old and died. They didn`t pick up any new generations of fans like Batman and Superman have.

doh!

I don't care for the 1direction vs superman comparisons either Chris! :insane:

1 D 4 EVA

:joke:

we have a new champion in the AC1 run... :banana:

and y***i sure has some curious bids US $2,193,819.38

It's psychological, nobody feels like plopping down 2.2mill for something...

I feel the same was about, say, a can of paint. $21,93 feels so much cheaper than $22 :insane:

Nobody is comparing the two. You missed the point.

I'm trying to show that great things don't fall out of favor simply because other new great things appear.

If something is truly great, it leaves it's mark on history.

That`s not the point I was trying to make.

My point is going forward is that Action Comics #1 and Detective #27 have a greater upside then most other Americana.

for starters, the comment about Mozart was pure sarcasm (he is still extremely popular to this day-- so is Elvis for that matter).

Anything related to Mozart is probably in a museum or some very private collection of some sort (and really-- how much of it was there to begin with-- this wasn't a consumable market for his work back then).

I think we are talking quite a bit about apples and oranges here. Comparing one of kind art with mass produced (even if rare) comic books is simply not reasonable. Labeling American Gothic as just another piece of Americana seems ludicrous to me also.

I found a 1987 Newspaper article stating that a Mozart hand written manuscript sold for $4.34 MIL

Linky.

Apparently, Mozart was still popular in 1987! lol

No movement since 1987.

That shows it isn`t liquid like Action Comics #1

The seller`s probably afraid they will take a haircut if they sold the Mozart piece.

He is likely bidding in something other than us $ -- The conversion is what you see

some one realy smart should be able to figure out were he is from ?

Really? Ask someone right now to name a few Mozart compositions?

Ask someone to name Mozart`s first name?

Now ask somebody to name Superman`s first appearance?

Ask somebody to name Superman`s identity?

It looks like your underestimating the cultural significance of Superman.

:)

Clearly we have a difference of opinion.

I think Detective Comics #27 and Action Comics #1 have been and are vastly undervalued.

I am surprised they have gone under the radar this long.

It seems the very wealthy who collect fine art, wine, watches and vintage cars are starting to figure out Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #27 are the real deal.

Next it should be interesting if this sale spreads the wealth around.

"A rising tide lifts all boats."

He is likely bidding in something other than us $ -- The conversion is what you see

look at it again: 2 1938 19.38

it is 1938 repeated! lol

Superman, Batman, Marvel and Spider-Man will continue to be popular with new generations, while icons like Elvis fade.

:roflmao:

Fixed it for you.

Superman, Batman, Marvel and Spider-Man comics will all have turned to dust yet Elvis will still be King.

times infinity

it is 1938 repeated! lol

Pretty cool.

it is 1938 repeated! lol

Pretty cool.

doh!

Superman, Batman, Marvel and Spider-Man will continue to be popular with new generations, while icons like Elvis fade.

:roflmao:

Fixed it for you.

Superman, Batman, Marvel and Spider-Man comics will all have turned to dust yet Elvis will still be King.

times infinity

Let the record state

I am a big Elvis and Beatles fan!

elvis-and-beatles.jpg

:gossip:

but that doesn`t mean that they will be more popular than Superman,Batman and Marvel over these next 20 years.

:fear: