• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A second copy of CGC 9.0 Action Comics #1 on the census (7/22/14)

1,507 posts in this topic

Like a soccer game that sits at 0-0 for the entire game and then one team scores a point at the very last second, this auction should have started at $3mil due to the previous offer and see if anyone else had the cajones to bid over that. I think most of us figured it would reach 3mil but many were expecting a whole lot more. I can see Metropolis being the the one who initially offered 3 million. It would have been a good way to ensure it never went through another auction house but if they were the ones with the original offer, it only cost them $207k more to acquire it. I do believe if there had been an extended bidding session, this could have gone for more, Perhaps another 2-300k up to $3.5million. Still a nice haul.

I concur. If Heritage or Metropolis were running the auction, it may have realized at least 5-10% more.

How much more of a commission would they take though?

Probably little to none

Like a soccer game that sits at 0-0 for the entire game and then one team scores a point at the very last second, this auction should have started at $3mil due to the previous offer and see if anyone else had the cajones to bid over that. I think most of us figured it would reach 3mil but many were expecting a whole lot more. I can see Metropolis being the the one who initially offered 3 million. It would have been a good way to ensure it never went through another auction house but if they were the ones with the original offer, it only cost them $207k more to acquire it. I do believe if there had been an extended bidding session, this could have gone for more, Perhaps another 2-300k up to $3.5million. Still a nice haul.

I concur. If Heritage or Metropolis were running the auction, it may have realized at least 5-10% more.

How much more of a commission would they take though?

Probably little to none

Can't buy better advertising than an Action 1 (thumbs u

this has to get many thinking about whether eBay is the best place to auction off big ticket items going forward-- it is very cheap to do so compared to a true auction house.

In all honesty... books like Action 1 and Tec 27 are an anomaly. I would not trust a mid grade AF 15 in that venue.

this has to get many thinking about whether eBay is the best place to auction off big ticket items going forward-- it is very cheap to do so compared to a true auction house.

In all honesty... books like Action 1 and Tec 27 are an anomaly. I would not trust a mid grade AF 15 in that venue.

why not? only costs $2 to put a reserve on it

why not? only costs $2 to put a reserve on it

Okay... if we are talking about putting a reserve on it then fine. I thought you were talking about running it in an auction exactly the way that they did with the Action 1 with no reserve.

Still a nice haul.

Heh. Tough crowd. The record price paid for a comic book has jumped 10x in less than 5 years. That's beyond impressive any way you slice it.

If that book was an Avatar property, would you guys still be publishing 'first prints' of it?

I sat down to watch the Action 1 and forgot to bid on my book on Heritage...

There will be others.

Batman 20 - CGC 6.5

Sold for $884 w/ Buyer's Premium... far lower than the last CLink auction ended at $1402 also for a 6.5. Clink one looked a little bit stronger... but not $500 stronger.

doh!:pullhair:doh!:pullhair:doh!:pullhair:doh!:pullhair:doh!:pullhair:

:pullhair:doh!:pullhair:doh!:pullhair:doh!:pullhair:doh!:pullhair:doh!

Should press to a 9.2

lol Yep, there's no stopping this book: 8.0 > 8.5 > 9.0 > 9.2? ... It just gets younger the more time passes -- it's the Benjamin Button of comics!

It never went from 8.0 to 8.5. It went direct to 9.0.

I was basing that statement on information contained in a Portland Oregonian article: "Somewhere along the line, the Action #1 was, apparently, twice resubmitted to the Certified Guaranty Company (CGC) and upgraded from 8.0 to 8.5 and, finally, to its 9.0 status."

Article link here

Will this be one of our "Where were you when?" moments?
Yes. While it was a notably gorgeous and sunny summer day, I was home alone with my attention divided between a computer screen and smartphone to "watch" rich people bid on a comic that I'll never see. :tonofbricks:

I was giving updates to my wife. At some point she said why the hell do you care and more importantly why the hell do you think I care.

Hopefully she's not the type that watches celebrity weddings etc

I was giving updates to my wife. At some point she said why the hell do you care and more importantly why the hell do you think I care.

Hopefully she's not the type that watches celebrity weddings etc

Nope. I lucked out. :)

That was exciting to watch. Is there a chance that Metropolis purchased it for a client?

I suggested that but, Roy brought up some valid points and I am now under the idea that Metropolis simply wants to own and eventually sell the most expensive Action 1 in history and not allow eBay to keep that title.

One of things that they pride themselves on is truthfully dealing with the best of the best and most expensive books in the hobby. This ensures that they will regain the title from eBay in the next year or two if it truly was to eventually flip.

If you want to be the best you have to be willing to spend like the best.

This purchase is all win win if Metro actually bought it. It raises the value of the previous copy they sold, it gives them the prestige of actually owning the best (the advertisement and word of mouth is going to be through the roof), there will definitely be someone else who will want it later and will have to pay the entry fee and heck, if you have $3MIL in liquidity, why would you store it in the bank?

And Stephen and Vincent are both very avid and active collectors.

I think that it was a hell of a fun ride and in hindsight, it's a brilliant move.

Oh yeah, and I kind of saw it coming. :whistle:

Sorry, had to get that one in.

Does this mean cedar chest actually is the best for storing comics?

Cedar chest = white pages