• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Second Action 1 9.0 to hit the census

723 posts in this topic

Ok, basic math time (just cuz I'm bored)

6 ga comics =1 inch=1.7 pound (approx)

7 feet is 84" = 140 pounds (approx)

Now convert it to lbs/in^2 and compare to the force used in pressing. You can also do a simple little experiment and apply the two pressures to the hood of you car and see which leave a bigger impression.

Wouldn't length of time also need to be factored in? The Church books were stacked for decades.

yes, you can do that experiment on the hood of your car as well, results will be the same.

Now convert it to lbs/in^2 and compare to the force used in pressing. You can also do a simple little experiment and apply the two pressures to the hood of you car and see which leave a bigger impression.

Wouldn't length of time also need to be factored in? The Church books were stacked for decades.

Of course time is a factor

Also remember the pressure reduces as you go up the stack.

indeed...

Also remember the pressure reduces as you go up the stack.

indeed...

So only the bottom-most books are pressed.

lol

How would your answer change if a swallow was sitting on top of the stack? Please provide answers for both the African and European varieties.

There would be some poopy issues

Here's the basement in question.

EdgarsClosetWatermarked002.jpg

That picture sure makes me believe that the famous "cedar smell" derives far far more from the freshly cut home made cedar boxes Chuck stored the comics in than from the basement.

Here's the basement in question.

EdgarsClosetWatermarked002.jpg

That picture sure makes me believe that the famous "cedar smell" derives far far more from the freshly cut home made cedar boxes Chuck stored the comics in than from the basement.

They really do have a unique scent.

See, this is where I'm really having a hard time reconciling all the different parts of the story.

First, there are claims of 10 foot stacks all the way to the joists. Second, there are also claims of cedar wood boxes. Third, there are around 20,000 books in the collection.

Were these 10 foot stacks in the cedar wood boxes? So the cedar wood boxes were at least 10 feet high, in which case why were the books described as being up to the ceiling joists, rather than being up to the very top of the wood box? And I would usually call a 10 foot high wooden box a "cabinet" or a "closet". And all 20,000 books were housed in these wooden boxes in 10 foot stacks?

See, this is where I'm really having a hard time reconciling all the different parts of the story.

First, there are claims of 10 foot stacks all the way to the joists. Second, there are also claims of cedar wood boxes. Third, there are around 20,000 books in the collection.

Were these 10 foot stacks in the cedar wood boxes? So the cedar wood boxes were at least 10 feet high, in which case why were the books described as being up to the ceiling joists, rather than being up to the very top of the wood box? And I would usually call a 10 foot high wooden box a "cabinet" or a "closet". And all 20,000 books were housed in these wooden boxes in 10 foot stacks?

Good thing Edgar never had a flooded basement.

and how did they fit these 10ft stacks with only a 7.5ft ceiling (shrug)

..... the cedar box was the house itself. Edgar jacked it up 2.5 feet to fit the comics in after which he lowered the house back down onto the comics.... thereby creating the ideal pressing environment. Mystery solved. Next? ................... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... the cedar box was the house itself. Edgar jacked it up 2.5 feet to fit the comics in after which he lowered the house back down onto the comics.... thereby creating the ideal pressing environment. Mystery solved. Next? ................... GOD BLESS...

Finally! someone making some sense ! :insane:

Finally! someone making some sense ! :insane:

.... Si' Senor, es verdad. Still one unanswered question...... why did Mr Church not just take the portion of the comics that had outgrown the cellar upstairs, into the house ? Mrs. Church informed him should ANY of those lurid magazines be found in the house she would take an iron skillet and beat the tar out of him ..... since he was a comic fiend and could NOT stop.... the hydraulic jacks were the only alternative..... GOD BLESS.....

Easy to reconcile. First, you need to know that the house (and "closet") were owned by Edgar Church. The picture is of Church's "closet." Second, you need to know that Chuch Rozanski is the dealer who bought the comics. Third, you need to know the sequence of events:

(1) Church buys the comics as they come out and stores them in stacks in his "closet." This goes on for about 40 years. Clearly, the stacks were, at most, only 7.5 feet high based on the picture of the closet.

(2) Rozanski buys the book from the Church family. He loads the books into his van, takes them to his apartment for inventorying, and then puts the books into hand-made freshly cut cedar boxes for storage by him.

[The source for this information is Rozanski's written stories on the subject posted on Mile High website.]

All I'm saying is that it sure would appear, based on the picture of the "closet," that the famous "cedar smell" of the Church books may well have come from the freshly cut cedar boxes (which would have been smaller, had no air flow, and been much more pungent) than the "closet" (which had air flow, would have been old wood, had much less wood to comics ratio, etc.).