• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Second Action 1 9.0 to hit the census

723 posts in this topic

Because there currently is restoration occurring which is undetectable. No top of the census book is safe... First a full grade, then two.... Buy the book not the census or the holder.

For years I have argued against restored books, but the rules have been blended so much the label does not have the credibility it once had. I apologize to all restored book owners. You bought the book, and not the label. You are true comic book collectors. The unrestored label just means you" got away with it".. As time goes on and hidden restoration gets better grade inflation will occur.. Buy the book... Safety first

This guy has a point. hm

Yup Im with Mehdy onj this one ... (thumbs u

Too general. I'm sure this applies to some minority of books but it's summer and I don't need a blanket :)

The principal of right and wrong, Gator. Unrestored should be just that. Untouched and who is the judge to say that pressing a book or rolling a spine is ok or not.

You really cannot blur the line. My point is that the detection of what is being restored and what is not and what you can get away with...makes a stong case for a one label system where are ALL books are created equal.

The Action one restoration is gonna bring the seller a million dollars and more if he has his way. This is really gonna get all the sharks of our comic book world in a profit frenzy. Restoration is gonna become a bigger Game of hide and seek. In the long run we are all losers. CGC and Steve's company have created the MYTH of multiple values of a comic book in a plastic container. A book that you cannot not even touch or read based on a COLOR of a label. Pay ten times as much because I say it's BLUE and by the way pressing is ok and if you want to do it, its right down our hallway.

So Be it, but to say what is black or white as far as restoration goes look at the definition of the word, there has to be a stop to the greed and madness.

I cannot do it alone, CGC cannot because regrading is profitable and they are a company which needs to survive on profit. The only thing we can do is generate support for a single standard to decrease restoration price difference as much as we can for the overall stability of the comic book market. Every hobby has had a major downturn, thus far we have been lucky...look at stamps and coins etc. The more realistic the market, the shorter the fall.

The best thing that can happen to comic book fandom, is that the action # 1 comic book does not hit the reserve. Eat it......greed

there is restoration and then there is "restoration"...

untouched does not equal unrestored (or is it vice versa)....

edgar church books were "pressed" for years (under stacks of heavy books)....do we say those books are "untouched" just because it was a 10 ft stack of comics that pressed them vs a pressing machine that accomplishes the same results, just faster...

now, color touch, cleaning with chemicals, etc...I see that as "restoration".... wonderbreading a book to remove dirt is trying to restore it to a previous condition, but it is not "restoration" as defined (generally) by our hobby...

just my 2c

edgar church books were "pressed" for years (under stacks of heavy books)....do we say those books are "untouched" just because it was a 10 ft stack of comics that pressed them vs a pressing machine that accomplishes the same results, just faster...

now, color touch, cleaning with chemicals, etc...I see that as "restoration".... wonderbreading a book to remove dirt is trying to restore it to a previous condition, but it is not "restoration" as defined (generally) by our hobby...

just my 2c

Hey Rick

That 10ft stack myth has been put to bed several times, it is not true. Also the myth that tightly packed boxes or stacked books in a Florida garage is equal to pressing has also been shown to be false.

just my 2c

Hey Rick

That 10ft stack myth has been put to bed several times, it is not true. Also the myth that tightly packed boxes or stacked books in a Florida garage is equal to pressing has also been shown to be false.

the Church books weren't in stacks?

Because there currently is restoration occurring which is undetectable. No top of the census book is safe... First a full grade, then two.... Buy the book not the census or the holder.

For years I have argued against restored books, but the rules have been blended so much the label does not have the credibility it once had. I apologize to all restored book owners. You bought the book, and not the label. You are true comic book collectors. The unrestored label just means you" got away with it".. As time goes on and hidden restoration gets better grade inflation will occur.. Buy the book... Safety first

This guy has a point. hm

Too general. I'm sure this applies to some minority of books but it's summer and I don't need a blanket :)

The principal of right and wrong, Gator. Unrestored should be just that. Untouched and who is the judge to say that pressing a book or rolling a spine is ok or not.

You really cannot blur the line. My point is that the detection of what is being restored and what is not and what you can get away with...makes a stong case for a one label system where are ALL books are created equal.

The Action one restoration is gonna bring the seller a million dollars and more if he has his way. This is really gonna get all the sharks of our comic book world in a profit frenzy. Restoration is gonna become a bigger Game of hide and seek. In the long run we are all losers. CGC and Steve's company have created the MYTH of multiple values of a comic book in a plastic container. A book that you cannot not even touch or read based on a COLOR of a label. Pay ten times as much because I say it's BLUE and by the way pressing is ok and if you want to do it, its right down our hallway.

So Be it, but to say what is black or white as far as restoration goes look at the definition of the word, there has to be a stop to the greed and madness.

I cannot do it alone, CGC cannot because regrading is profitable and they are a company which needs to survive on profit. The only thing we can do is generate support for a single standard to decrease restoration price difference as much as we can for the overall stability of the comic book market. Every hobby has had a major downturn, thus far we have been lucky...look at stamps and coins etc. The more realistic the market, the shorter the fall.

The best thing that can happen to comic book fandom, is that the action # 1 comic book does not hit the reserve. Eat it......greed

It's probably impossible to get a consensus on whether books should be stigmatized for restoration and for pressing, or for one of those but not the other (or for neither one), I still think most people can agree that something is askew when a book is valued more with a cover corner missing than it is with that same corner intact but with a small dot of glue or color touch. But that's where we are in the hobby and where we've been for a while on this issue. If people can't agree on how to fix that without changing standards or practices they like, it will remain hard for grading companies to come up with ways to fix it.

just my 2c

Hey Rick

It's all relative.

10ft stacks do press books but not as much as 20 ft stacks. Or a dry mounted press.

And humid environments will flatten out books with relatively little pressure. Is that pressing? Where do you draw the line?

Seriously, Mitch, this pressing discussion is about 10 years and a zillion words old. You won't really be revealing anything new here.

Grading companies can only detect what is humanely (or financially) possible to detect.

After that, just scream at the ocean.

Let's not start a pressing thread in the GA forum, one of the best forums (if not the best) on this whole website.

This guy has a point. hm

I tend to agree. There is too much greed in this hobby and yes the horse left the barn on this issue many years ago. All collectible markets have there ups and downs. I do believe we are entering a "hot potato" phase where the last one holding the book is going to be sorry. Generally I am an optimist, but this market is definitely due for a correction on the top end of the scale IMHO meh

just my 2c

Hey Rick

the church books were in stacks and were "pressed" by the weight... not sure what myth was put to bed, but chuck told me they were stacked 10 ft high in some instances and that absolutely will help flatten a book (or maintain its flatness)

I have received damaged comics (new) from diamond, that were rolled over, etc and have placed under a 40 pound box of backing boards and the book was significantly flattened back out...so again, no myth, but practical application...

now, will that type of weight pressing eliminate non color breaking creases, probably not, but it absolutely will "press" a book

stacking is not pressing as it is defined today. as was posted we really shouldn't be going into this discussion every time professional pressing comes up.

next comes flicking buggers.

just do a scientific experiment: take 2 identically damaged books and place one under your weights and send the other to Matt and then compare them.

end of myth.

stacking is not pressing as it is defined today. as was posted we really shouldn't be going into this discussion every time professional pressing comes up.

next comes flicking buggers.

must they be flicked...what about under seat cushion wiping hm

stacking is not pressing as it is defined today.

And pressing is not resto as it is defined today.

But who is the definer of what restoration is? The average joe collector or the big time dealers? I for one think that pressing is restoration. I also agree that the line on restoration has become too blurred and with the huge amounts of money being tossed around for big books it is going to be too tempting for someone not to start dabbling in methods of restoration that are not detectable. mess we have already seen this happen with micro trimming :eek:

stacking is not pressing as it is defined today.

And pressing is not resto as it is defined today.

But who is the definer of what restoration is? The average joe collector or the big time dealers? I for one think that pressing is restoration. I also agree that the line on restoration has become too blurred and with the huge amounts of money being tossed around for big books it is going to be too tempting for someone not to start dabbling in methods of restoration that are not detectable. mess we have already seen this happen with micro trimming :eek:

Collectors of all types have voted with their wallets. Dealers who are known to press books still do great business. CGC, who has never considered pressing resto, and now actively presses, still receives more submissions than they can handle.

People love to rant about pressing, but so few have changed their buying habits as a result of their opinions, that the argument has become moot.