• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Second Action 1 9.0 to hit the census

723 posts in this topic

Now my bigger question is this. is all this talk about this book being a previous 8.0 and has been manipulated up to this 9.0 just conjecture or fact? not that it matters in light of it's current condition to me (i am not one that is bothered by pressing)

I believe... Gator has seen a scan (recently) of the book in an 8.0 holder and saw it when it was originally offered for sale.

CGCdata.com shows:

2 entries at 8.0 from Nov 14 2011 to July 22 2014 (and obviously one could draw conclusions from the end date there)

[The second 9.0 appears on July 29 2014, the next week's data dump]

2 entries at 8.5 from Dec 11 2011 to Aug 17 2013

Was the 2nd 8.5 ever a thread topic here?

That's kind of a big deal.

CGCdata.com shows:

2 entries at 8.0 from Nov 14 2011 to July 22 2014 (and obviously one could draw conclusions from the end date there)

not that I recall. But since it is no longer an 8.5, probably no longer relevant (shrug)

CGCdata.com shows:

not that I recall. But since it is no longer an 8.5, probably no longer relevant (shrug)

Because it is now a 9.0?

CGCdata.com shows:

Heaven knows we don't run enough Action 1 threads. :baiting:

It was mentioned but since no one knew anything about the copy there wasn't much to discuss.

CGCdata.com shows:

Heaven knows we don't run enough Action 1 threads. :baiting:

It was mentioned but since no one knew anything about the copy there wasn't much to discuss.

I usually check the census differences every couple of weeks for 1930s books and did notice changes in the Action 1 population. I also recall being puzzled why it had not been brought up on the board, but I simply could not bring myself to start another Action 1 thread.

This auction has put comic book collecting at the crossroads. The beginning of the end was the cgc early advertisements that hulk #181 was worth ten times the value in a cgc holder.

That cgc created value where it was not.

It has and always will be about the book itself.

Now cgc claims it's census creates value... One in which all comic books are not created equal in terms of factual reporting according to Matt and others in the promo video.

No where does the video state that book was restored or bumped up a grade due to Permissive restoration and that is the result it tops the census. Paying absurd prices for the top grade census books just because the are #1....wait a book 2 grades below is gonna over take yours when hidden restoration gets better and better. Buy the book not the holder or census. I believe in the real definition of unrestored ... Untouched.

Pressing, cleaning, etc is just that... Restoration and when you blurr the rules confusion exists and it leaves the door open for new ways to restore a book which is not currently detectable.

To everybody who can read this...buyer beware

Artificial value creation is the beginning of the end and a downward spiral in terms of the entire comic book community.

This auction has put comic book collecting at the crossroads. The beginning of the end was the cgc early advertisements that hulk #181 was worth ten times the value in a cgc holder.

Now cgc claims it's census creates value... One in which all comic books are not created equal in terms of factual reporting according to Matt and others in the promo video.

No where does the video state that book was restored or bumped up a grade due to Permissive restoration and that is the result it tops the census. Paying absurd prices for the top grade census books just because the are #1....wait a book 2 grades below is gonna over take yours when hidden restoration gets better and better. Buy the book not the holder or census.

Artificial value creation is the beginning of the end and a downward spiral in terms of the entire comic book community.

Except that pressing has been a mainstream practice for years. Why would a downward spiral happen now?

Because there currently is restoration occurring which is undetectable. No top of the census book is safe... First a full grade, then two.... Buy the book not the census or the holder.

For years I have argued against restored books, but the rules have been blended so much the label does not have the credibility it once had. I apologize to all restored book owners. You bought the book, and not the label. You are true comic book collectors. The unrestored label just means you" got away with it".. As time goes on and hidden restoration gets better grade inflation will occur.. Buy the book... Safety first

Because there currently is restoration occurring which is undetectable. No top of the census book is safe... First a full grade, then two.... Buy the book not the census or the holder.

I agree with you that no top census book is safe, but again that's nothing new. I've heard plenty of stories about people taking baths on 9.4/9.6 SA books in CGC's early days only to have multiple 9.6/9.8s pop up on the census later. It's one of the risks you run as a top copy chaser. :shrug:

So why now for a downward spiral? Again this has been happening for years, probably even more so with the big GA keys.

No where does the video state that book was restored or bumped up a grade due to Permissive restoration and that is the result it tops the census. Paying absurd prices for the top grade census books just because the are #1....wait a book 2 grades below is gonna over take yours when hidden restoration gets better and better. Buy the book not the holder or census. I believe in the real definition of unrestored ... Untouched.

Pressing, cleaning, etc is just that... Restoration and when you blurr the rules confusion exists and it leaves the door open for new ways to restore a book which is not currently detectable.

:news:DOOM! :news:

Because there currently is restoration occurring which is undetectable. No top of the "census" book is safe... First a full grade, then two.... Buy the book not the census or the holder.

I agree with you that no top census book is safe, but again that's nothing new. I've heard plenty of stories about people taking baths on 9.4/9.6 SA books in CGC's early days only to have multiple 9.6/9.8s pop up on the census later. It's one of the risks you run as a top copy chaser. :shrug:

So why now for a downward spiral? Again this has been happening for years, probably even more so with the big GA keys.

Just because we put up with it for years doe not make it right. I do not recall the flaunting of the census to get the world's highest price on a comic book by video advertisement in such a classless manner.

Hype city on this one, but with undetectable spine roll manipulation( unless you catch it on regrade), and a host of other restoration methods, there really is only one solution. One label....if pressing is detected...put it on the label....whether you consider it important or not.

I have been in the comic book world for the LONG run...been there and done that gives me the ability to see forward...long term...I know some of you don't care, I know some of you wont give a dammm in five years. I do....it is not doom, it is just the future could have been so much brighter

Restoration is restoration no matter how may "but's" you put in front of it.

For years I have argued against restored books, but the rules have been blended so much the label does not have the credibility it once had. I apologize to all restored book owners. You bought the book, and not the label. You are true comic book collectors. The unrestored label just means you" got away with it".. As time goes on and hidden restoration gets better grade inflation will occur.. Buy the book... Safety first

This guy has a point. hm

This guy has a point. hm

Yup Im with Mehdy onj this one ... (thumbs u

This guy has a point. hm

Too general. I'm sure this applies to some minority of books but it's summer and I don't need a blanket :)

This guy has a point. hm

Too general. I'm sure this applies to some minority of books but it's summer and I don't need a blanket :)

If you don't listen to daddy, there'll be a price, little man. Watershed or woodshed, the choice is yours. (tsk)

;)

This guy has a point. hm

"You play you pay......Judgment day is coming and in your comic collecting hearts....... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE..

It is time for "Daddy" and he is gonna give you a spanking......"

:troll: