• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 271--why does anybody care about this book?

186 posts in this topic

Incredible Hulk 271 It has to be the most expensive second apperance bronze book ever. In 9.8 it's hovering around $700--and it's not even Rocket Raccoon's first appearance! :facepalm: I guess cgc had to save face by noting IH271 as RR's first comic appearance because they screwed up by not initially labeling Marvel Preview 7 as the first app. Even RR's creator has come out and said RR's 1st app was in Marvel Preview 7. So why does any care about ih271??? (shrug)

No other character that I'm aware of has ever had the distinction of first comic apperance unless it was a tv/cartoon character.

rantrant

Everyone has their collection preferences but the entirety of "interest" in this character begins and ends with the GOTG movie. Almost all cgc labels for hulk 271 I have seen show it as being raccoon's "first appearance", so they are just plain wrong, and a lot of this book's run up is obviously based on that error. In theory, yes hulk 271 wouldn't be worth much if anything as the second appearance of this character. Undoubtedly the book will come back to earth either way at some point after the movie, and certainly as more collectors/speculators realize that as a "first appearance" book, it actually isn't.

-J.

Maybe the market has decided that they value Hulk #271 more than Marvel Preview #7? (shrug)

Hulk is a mainstream, easily recognizable title. Marvel Preview is an obscure magazine that may not be known by the casual comic collector.

Hulk #180 is Wolverine's first appearance. :devil: Why is Hulk #181 in higher in demand? Because the market said so. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Just wait until the GOTG movie is come and gone and you can get that Hulk #271 9.8 that you want at a much more reasonable price. :sorry:

Maybe the market has decided that they value Hulk #271 more than Marvel Preview #7? (shrug)

The market has already decided the opposite, look at GPA how much more Marvel Preview #7 goes over Hulk #271 in all grades. Sure #271 has a better Rocket Racoon cover, but a second appearance is a second appearance. I wouldn't pay over $150 for a 9.8 copy, and I'd have to think about even paying that.

The market has already decided the opposite, look at GPA how much more Marvel Preview #7 goes over Hulk #271 in all grades. Sure #271 has a better Rocket Racoon cover, but a second appearance is a second appearance. I wouldn't pay over $150 for a 9.8 copy, and I'd have to think about even paying that.

I dunno then. (shrug) Isn't this the same question with Boba Fett?

150 slabbed copies of MP7, 3 in 9.8

500 slabbed copies of IH271, 102 in 9.8

maybe the market is agreeing that the MP7 is the first appearance and thus the more desirable collectible.

or maybe some of the value is due to the far greater scarcity of high grade (or any grade) MP7s?

hm

Sure #271 has a better Rocket Racoon cover, but a second appearance is a second appearance. I wouldn't pay over $150 for a 9.8 copy, and I'd have to think about even paying that.

Who says 271's cover is better? :sumo: everyone could use a little scantily clad Satana in their collection.

Not to mention, Marvel Preview 7 is much more difficult to obtain in high grade. Only 3 9.8s, 6 9.6s and 6 9.4s? Not even close.

IH271 has to be the most expensive, hyped second appearance bronze book on the market.

I have a hard time believing that the people paying $700 for 9.8 Hulk 271s are ever going to make that back when they eventually sell. Worst time possible to buy. When you figure in the fact that it's the 2nd appearance of the character, it makes even less sense.

However, the market....... (shrug)

I dunno then. (shrug) Isn't this the same question with Boba Fett?

yeah but there a lot of confounding factors in that parallel.

-boba is a movie property first, a comic entity second

-boba's "first" appearance was in a movie tie in magazine not a marvel continuity magazine

hmmm now you have me wondering if there are other examples.

Star Lord (MP4) didnt have a magazine appearance until well into his existence...

hm

Sure #271 has a better Rocket Racoon cover, but a second appearance is a second appearance. I wouldn't pay over $150 for a 9.8 copy, and I'd have to think about even paying that.

Who says 271's cover is better?

It's not. Hulk 271 is typical Al Milgrom mediocrity from the 80s. I thought Avengers Annual 10 was one of the, if not the, worst covers on a copper/bronze key but Hulk 271 has that beat by a mile. Just a horrible cover

MP 7 is in much higher demand.

Problem is, you can't find one in high grade without paying out the nose (even then, it is real hard to find a 9.4+).

So people fall back on IH 271, and rationalize it anyway they want to feel good about owning it.

MP 7 is in much higher demand.

Problem is, you can't find one in high grade without paying out the nose (even then, it is real hard to find a 9.4+).

So people fall back on IH 271, and rationalize it anyway they want to feel good about owning it.

IH 271 was not a fall back book. The market really thought that was the 1st app. Because RR was such a ridiculous throw-away character, no one had any desire or impetus to dig any deeper. Of course some folks knew and remembered the earlier appearance, but for years, magazine "appearances" did not really count for comic collectors. (Sorry, Mr. Ween.) Once RR became part of the GoG, and then really when the movie announcement hit, people, as they are wont to do now, went spec crazy.

And they actually looked at the books themselves, and found the interviews where Mantlo talked about the RR that was in the magazine. Only then did MP7 have ANY interest to collectors. There was a period of time where there was legit debate as to whether "Rocky Raccoon" from MP7 was really Rocket Raccoon from IH 271 and the mini-series, but subsequent reviews of Mantlo discussions about the character pretty much put that to rest.

So what we are really dealing with is a market that saw IH 271 rise, meteorically, and then MP7 was discovered. There are still some things that recommend IH271 (the cover appearance, and the fact that it is comic sized) but it is pretty clear that it is a very high priced 2nd app.

Gotcha.

I was more referring to the current state of these issues than what initially happened

It seems IH 271 is retaining its value despite the common knowledge of MP 7 being the actual 1st appearance.

For now, anyway.

Nothing wrong with comic book collectors wanting a comic in their collection instead of a magazine. (shrug)

You mean a magazine-sized comic. Kind of like TMNT #1 being a magazine-sized comic.

Not really. Most of the magazines were produced without the Comics Code Authority and dealt with themes that may not have made it into the comics. They were not available at many of the outlets where comics were sold, and had their own system of distribution. For a lot of years, magazines were the red-headed stepchild, and in a lot of instances they were rejected as being "collectible" by the mainstream comic hobby. For many old school collectors, magazines are not comics.

so how much is my [raw] 7.0ish marvel premiere first app of the racoon that I sold 8 or 9 months ago now worth? did i do my usual great job of timing the market and selling right before the price doubles?