• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC! First timer! Report!!

175 posts in this topic

That's it for art, folks.

On to toys and cosplay. Sorry in advance for the overload of Batman in this batch. One of my niece's sons is into Spidey, and my other's niece's son is into Batman. So I was tasked with taking as many Spidey and Batman pics as possible.

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

And here is my only OA purchase at the con. Two pages from Seth's "Great Northern Brotherhood of Canadian Cartoonists" that I picked up from Scott Eder.

DSC_0179-a.jpg

Great report Drew !! Thanks for all the pics. :applause:

I too am a Seth fan and have an original page of his work from the Mr. X series :cloud9:

Was he wearing a suit and tie ? :)

Great report Drew !! Thanks for all the pics. :applause:

I too am a Seth fan and have an original page of his work from the Mr. X series :cloud9:

Was he wearing a suit and tie ? :)

Sadly Seth wasn't at the con. But Scott has quite a number of Seth pages for sale.

Doesn't Seth always wear the suit and tie?

I saw him in Toronto a few years ago (he lives 45 minutes west of Toronto) when Art Spiegelman released "In The Shadow of No Towers". It was a ticketed event where Seth interviewed Art. Fascinating to watch.

Great report Drew. :headbang:

Fantastic pictures. I've seen most of the OA in the dealer pics before. The one piece that caught my eye was the Romita St. Black and white Spidey vs. Green Goblin art. The published cover art to Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine #2 was a fully painted cover.

I'm assuming Romita Sr. First did the drawing in b+w first then did the color version on a copy or overlay. I'd like to know where the color version is. (shrug)

Cheers!

N.

Great report Drew. :headbang:

Fantastic pictures. I've seen most of the OA in the dealer pics before. The one piece that caught my eye was the Romita St. Black and white Spidey vs. Green Goblin art. The published cover art to Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine #2 was a fully painted cover.

I'm assuming Romita Sr. First did the drawing in b+w first then did the color version on a copy or overlay. I'd like to know where the color version is. (shrug)

Cheers!

N.

This will partially answer your question:

Spectacular Spider-Man #2 Cover

I would think, as big as this convention is, why not have 2 shows in San Diego, one in the early spring and another in the fall

There already is a 3 day SD back issue con at Town and Country convention center at Hotel Circle (to keep hotel costs down so away from downtown Gaslamp area) about Oct/14. I believe this would be it's 3rd anniversary show. Not too many media guests, so no crazy mega-line ups way over 4 hours long. (thumbs u

So...

It's about 8 AM on Friday and I walked over to check out the Hall H situation. That's where I learned I didn't have a hope of getting in.

But these people will certainly. For the record, these are the people at the very front of the line. The ones who camped out for a day or so.

Well, that just reinforced the stereotype of geeks lacking personal hygiene in spades. P.U.!

I don't think people understand how many people line up for these panels. Last night we took a walk along the Marina (behind the con) with the kids to check out the sights. Much to my surprise, as we approached the Convention Center / Marriott from the back way (top left of the picture) we saw people lining up and settling down. I asked what it was for - the explained Hall H (the big hall with all the major programming - Friday the Walking Dead was there as well as other shows, Saturday it was all the largest Movie corps - Marvel, Warner/ DC, etc). I thought, wow, that's early.

Then I realized how long the line was. It was a good 1/4 mile long along the back of the Con Center before you got to the other end of the Con. Keep in mind that this is 11 PM - a good 13 hours before the Hall H panel opened.

So we kept walking towards the park / Hilton at the bottom / right and I realized that this line had not only snaked along the back of the Con center but also veered right into the park area, went along the rest of the back of the con center, doubled back, went around the con, zig zagged at the top right and then along the front of the con. I estimate some 6000 ft of people lined up (what's that - 1 mile??) the night before the panel and were camping out all night and waiting well into the heat of noon (and it was a scorcher when the sun was out) to make the panel.

Below is a google map pic with the black lines representing people camping out overnight. The con is the big building smack in the center (and it is huge). The Marriott is at the top left, the Hilton at the bottom right, the Marina at the bottom of the pic.

I've seen a lot of stuff at cons, but this was unbelievable to me.

SDhallH.jpg

Yeah, this nonsense was the end of the show for me. They really need to rename this convention; it's not a comic con anymore. Don't get me wrong it's still fun but when you realize that it only takes 2 hours to see the comics booths you realize how different things are. Up to 2-3 years ago other panels other than the really big halls used to mostly be walk in five minutes before. No more; most now have long lines except for the really obscure stuff. Too old for these kinds of lines; Ill leave it to those younger with the patience to wait. It's still a fun show and over the last few years I spent a lot of time wandering around looking at things I didn't have a real interest in to see what people saw in the models, games, and cards. Really really fascinating and that is a good way to learn things. I do think the crazed running and waiting for con exclusives is a bit annoying as it creates massive jams in the aisles. Other than that the floor is as interesting a place to hang out as any bazaar in the world!

I headed to the IDW booth and picked up the Steranko "Nick Fury Agent of Shield" artists edition. As usual, stellar work from IDW.

I got Steranko to sign it the next day ... but that's a story for the next installment.

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

Is this book like the Barry Windsor Smith Red Nails book ? Is it the second book in the artist series ??