• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC! First timer! Report!!

175 posts in this topic

And finally, the Donnellys. And look! They actually have prices!!

... And the prices don't seem incredibly horrible! although they probably triple the price once you inquire about a page :P

So...

It's about 8 AM on Friday and I walked over to check out the Hall H situation. That's where I learned I didn't have a hope of getting in.

But these people will certainly. For the record, these are the people at the very front of the line. The ones who camped out for a day or so.

Well, that just reinforced the stereotype of geeks lacking personal hygiene in spades. P.U.!

I don't think people understand how many people line up for these panels. Last night we took a walk along the Marina (behind the con) with the kids to check out the sights. Much to my surprise, as we approached the Convention Center / Marriott from the back way (top left of the picture) we saw people lining up and settling down. I asked what it was for - the explained Hall H (the big hall with all the major programming - Friday the Walking Dead was there as well as other shows, Saturday it was all the largest Movie corps - Marvel, Warner/ DC, etc). I thought, wow, that's early.

Then I realized how long the line was. It was a good 1/4 mile long along the back of the Con Center before you got to the other end of the Con. Keep in mind that this is 11 PM - a good 13 hours before the Hall H panel opened.

So we kept walking towards the park / Hilton at the bottom / right and I realized that this line had not only snaked along the back of the Con center but also veered right into the park area, went along the rest of the back of the con center, doubled back, went around the con, zig zagged at the top right and then along the front of the con. I estimate some 6000 ft of people lined up (what's that - 1 mile??) the night before the panel and were camping out all night and waiting well into the heat of noon (and it was a scorcher when the sun was out) to make the panel.

Below is a google map pic with the black lines representing people camping out overnight. The con is the big building smack in the center (and it is huge). The Marriott is at the top left, the Hilton at the bottom right, the Marina at the bottom of the pic.

I've seen a lot of stuff at cons, but this was unbelievable to me.

SDhallH.jpg

That's why I may never go to SDCC. The crowds just sound so overwhelming and if you want to attend a panel, you'll need to camp out for days or you're SOL. Gets worse every year.

I spoke to people who just walked into Hall H for the afternoon sessions for Paramount and another major studio. It's just the first session of the day that's nuts.

And the other panels are rarely difficult to get into. You might have to line up for 30 minutes for some, but the ones I attended were half empty.

And finally, the Donnellys. And look! They actually have prices!!

... And the prices don't seem incredibly horrible! although they probably triple the price once you inquire about a page :P

The pages I looked at were priced at 2X to 3X real market value. No surprise. SOP for the Donnellys.

So...

It's about 8 AM on Friday and I walked over to check out the Hall H situation. That's where I learned I didn't have a hope of getting in.

But these people will certainly. For the record, these are the people at the very front of the line. The ones who camped out for a day or so.

Well, that just reinforced the stereotype of geeks lacking personal hygiene in spades. P.U.!

I don't think people understand how many people line up for these panels. Last night we took a walk along the Marina (behind the con) with the kids to check out the sights. Much to my surprise, as we approached the Convention Center / Marriott from the back way (top left of the picture) we saw people lining up and settling down. I asked what it was for - the explained Hall H (the big hall with all the major programming - Friday the Walking Dead was there as well as other shows, Saturday it was all the largest Movie corps - Marvel, Warner/ DC, etc). I thought, wow, that's early.

Then I realized how long the line was. It was a good 1/4 mile long along the back of the Con Center before you got to the other end of the Con. Keep in mind that this is 11 PM - a good 13 hours before the Hall H panel opened.

So we kept walking towards the park / Hilton at the bottom / right and I realized that this line had not only snaked along the back of the Con center but also veered right into the park area, went along the rest of the back of the con center, doubled back, went around the con, zig zagged at the top right and then along the front of the con. I estimate some 6000 ft of people lined up (what's that - 1 mile??) the night before the panel and were camping out all night and waiting well into the heat of noon (and it was a scorcher when the sun was out) to make the panel.

Below is a google map pic with the black lines representing people camping out overnight. The con is the big building smack in the center (and it is huge). The Marriott is at the top left, the Hilton at the bottom right, the Marina at the bottom of the pic.

I've seen a lot of stuff at cons, but this was unbelievable to me.

SDhallH.jpg

I really think they're going to start ticketing these events in the near future. The current system is madness.

I really think they're going to start ticketing these events in the near future. The current system is madness.

With the quality of today's cams, online video is probably best way to enjoy SDCC panels. I just watched the Game of Thrones panel on youtube and it was amazing. In real life, situated toward the back of the room, that panel would've looked like ants. Odds are you'd be staring at their projection screen to see anything.

This thread is brilliant, plus kudos to all who upload crisp clean Panel vids. (worship)

That's why I may never go to SDCC. The crowds just sound so overwhelming and if you want to attend a panel, you'll need to camp out for days or you're SOL. Gets worse every year.

Amen. I went about 12 years ago and it was overwhelming then. I can't imagine it now