• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC! First timer! Report!!

175 posts in this topic

I would think, as big as this convention is, why not have 2 shows in San Diego, one in the early spring and another in the fall

I'd imagine whichever one came first would be the one with the big reveals at the big booths and all the good previews to upcoming movies and stuff. Both could have big guests and con exclusives, only one will reveal the new cast to Game Of Thrones.

WTF is so special about these panels that don't show up on youtube in a few days. Giveaways?

In this celebrity-obsessed era, people want to be able to say that they saw the celebs in the flesh. :gossip:

If there was a panel that I wanted to see badly enough that I was willing to line up overnight to get in, I think I`d just pay a couple of hundred bucks to some kid to line up for me.

It's still a fun show and over the last few years I spent a lot of time wandering around looking at things I didn't have a real interest in to see what people saw in the models, games, and cards. Really really fascinating and that is a good way to learn things. I do think the crazed running and waiting for con exclusives is a bit annoying as it creates massive jams in the aisles. Other than that the floor is as interesting a place to hang out as any bazaar in the world!

The times I went to SDCC I thought it had a singularly unique vibe. Different than Vegas or Mardi Gras or Cancun or any other mass-gathering I've experienced.

It's like a place anyone who loves something frivolous can go to celebrate it fully, whatever that thing is. People from all over the world come to join in.

It's truly refreshing when you pause to bask in it all. It's like one gigantic Christmas morning vibe, a gazillion hyper-creatives pouring it on, gifts galore and miles of smiles.

I am getting the impression that SDCC is becoming less about the spectacle and all things entertainment and more about the quick flip. It seems like that is becoming a lot of people's main objective for going, what can I get that is unique and exclusive and how much can I sell it for. Even the program books are going for over $15 on eBay. I think it is loosing some of the purity it once possessed.

I don't think that's the main objective, but as expensive as Comicon is, I think a lot of attendees count on eBay to help soften the financial blow of the convention. I'm not even sure someone could turn a profit from flipping con exclusives unless they were a local. Flights, rooms, food, on top of admission. And that's if you're strictly there to flip and make no purchases for yourself.

I can't afford Comicon and I'm within driving distance. Even if I could afford Comicon, I'd just spend that cash on a commission online.

That's a wrap, folks. Today I only made it back to the convention center long enough to stand in line for 90 minutes at the Fedex office to ship some packages back home.

To close, I'll leave you with this, which I overheard in the Fedex line.

Middle-aged guy on speaker phone:

"Honey, I got a Talking Tina doll!"

"A what?"

"You remember. From the Twilight Zone episode. The one with Telly Savalas."

"No I don't remember. It's a doll?"

"Yeah. Talking Tina, the doll from that episode!"

"How much was it?"

"$350."

"What?! It's the original doll from the show?!"

"No, it's a replica. But it's a Comic Con exclusive limited edition! I got it for you as a present!"

"Don't. Spend. Any. More. Money."

That's a wrap, folks. Today I only made it back to the convention center long enough to stand in line for 90 minutes at the Fedex office to ship some packages back home.

"A what?"

"How much was it?"

"$350."

"No, it's a replica. But it's a Comic Con exclusive limited edition! I got it for you as a present!"

[font:Book Antiqua]Post of the year..!

BTW, Thank you for your report.[/font]

:roflmao::golfclap:

"A what?"

"How much was it?"

"$350."

Someone took him for a ride.

$43.99 at Entertainment Earth, and yes... the SDCC Exclusive.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BBP05101CC#.U9WP-4BdXu0

"A what?"

"How much was it?"

"$350."

Sounds like the lady has some common sense :face palm: The guy would have been better off buying her a present at the airport.

I noticed that he also had the Twilight Zone fortune teller machine from the William Shatner episode. He walked up and stood in line behind me while he was on the phone, so I missed the first part of the conversation. So maybe the $350 was for both.

But the conversation I posted was verbatim.

Actually, that's not the one he had. It was really large and in a box.

This is the one:

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BBP05009#.U9WR4airE10

Still, it's only $150.

And the fortune teller is $250:

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BBP05008#.U9WSA6irE10

Actually, that's not the one he had. It was really large and in a box.

This is the one:

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BBP05009#.U9WR4airE10

Still, it's only $150.

And the fortune teller is $250:

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BBP05008#.U9WSA6irE10

Oh wow...

Fortune Teller Machine... cool

Talking Tina doll... creepy, Sterling achieved the desired affect.

Still list was $400 then. He saved money!