• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deadpool test footage

1,341 posts in this topic

My only familiarity with Deadpool is from the first Wolverine movie, so if these questions have already been answered, do forgive me. This movie completely breaks all connection with the Wolverine movie, correct? Did the real Deadpool get his healing factor from Wolverine as that movie implied? Did he get any other powers in the comic, or is the healing factor his only one? I haven't seen any version of him that had the optic blasts of Cyclops or the teleporting powers shown in that film, so I assume they are unique to that story and will not be repeated.

The optic blast power was all movie based, and was completely idiotic. He has a device that allows him to teleport. It's not a natural ability, but it is comic book derivative. The movie just portrayed it incorrectly. If I remember right, Weapon X gave him his healing power which was based off of Wolverine's, but it depends on the writer as to how effective his healing power really is.

My only familiarity with Deadpool is from the first Wolverine movie, so if these questions have already been answered, do forgive me. This movie completely breaks all connection with the Wolverine movie, correct? Did the real Deadpool get his healing factor from Wolverine as that movie implied? Did he get any other powers in the comic, or is the healing factor his only one? I haven't seen any version of him that had the optic blasts of Cyclops or the teleporting powers shown in that film, so I assume they are unique to that story and will not be repeated.

The optic blast power was all movie based, and was completely idiotic. He has a device that allows him to teleport. It's not a natural ability, but it is comic book derivative. The movie just portrayed it incorrectly. If I remember right, Weapon X gave him his healing power which was based off of Wolverine's.

Where'd he get the device?

The optic blast power was all movie based, and was completely idiotic. He has a device that allows him to teleport. It's not a natural ability, but it is comic book derivative. The movie just portrayed it incorrectly. If I remember right, Weapon X gave him his healing power which was based off of Wolverine's.

Where'd he get the device?

I have no idea. That's actually a really good question. I've never thought of it, and I don't recall ever reading anything about how he acquired it. Maybe he got it from Forge?

He also has a magic satchel he found in his backyard that contains all his unlimited weapons and ammo.

Marvel Wikia: Deadpool

OK...magically giving him Wolverine's healing factor was bad enough, but what the HELL? I'm guessing he's an intentionally ridiculous character in every way, then? :eek: Where'd all of his extra strength and agility come from--took a dip in a pool and just magically came out that way? :makepoint:

He also has a magic satchel he found in his backyard that contains all his unlimited weapons and ammo.

OK...magically giving him Wolverine's healing factor was bad enough, but what the HELL? I'm guessing he's an intentionally ridiculous character in every way, then? :eek: Where'd all of his extra strength and agility come from--took a dip in a pool and just magically came out that way? :makepoint:

Take him for what he is. He's a pretty ridiculous character, but that's why people enjoy him so much.

Magically giving him Wolverine's healing factor? I think it had less to do with magic, and more to do with Weapon X doing mad scientific experiments on him. I just don't know the details. According to wiki, the extra strength is no longer a part of his character. I think writers probably realized that It didn't make much sense for him to have super strength. The extra agility probably comes from the fact that he's an incredibly skilled martial artist, and that his body has been broken and healed so many times that he's adapted or evolved in such a way that allows him to be much more agile than a human being. I definitely wouldn't say he's on par with spidey like you mentioned.

Take him for what he is. He's a pretty ridiculous character, but that's why people enjoy him so much.

Magically giving him Wolverine's healing factor? I think it had less to do with magic, and more to do with Weapon X doing mad scientific experiments on him. I just don't know the details. According to wiki, the extra strength is no longer a part of his character. I think writers probably realized that It didn't make much sense for him to have super strength. The extra agility probably comes from the fact that he's an incredibly skilled martial artist, and that his body has been broken and healed so many times that he's adapted or evolved in such a way that allows him to be much more agile than a human being. I definitely wouldn't say he's on par with spidey like you mentioned.

I describe the healing factor as "magic" because if he can get it, why can't EVERY character get it? Seems dumb. But meh, guess you could say the same for the radioactive spider that bit Peter Parker or the super-soldier serum that Steve Rogers took.

So is he on par with Daredevil whose agility and balance is supposedly enhanced by his radar sense?

I describe the healing factor as "magic" because if he can get it, why can't EVERY character get it? Seems dumb. But meh, guess you could say the same for the radioactive spider that bit Peter Parker or the super-soldier serum that Steve Rogers took.

So is he on par with Daredevil whose agility and balance is supposedly enhanced by his radar sense?

Exactly. There's an infinite amount of things in the MU that don't make much sense, but If you get snagged by the small details, then I don't think you can enjoy it as much.

I'm not really sure who he is on par with in terms of agility. He might be up there with Daredevil, but not Spidey or Beast.

I hadn't looked at Deadpool that way before.

Good points.

It's not decay. It's cancer. Giving him the healing factor also essentially gave his cancer a healing factor, so his cancer fights against his body but neither can kill the other.

I'm liking some of the ideas with Deadpool, but I'm skeptical of him fighting heroes without powers beyond the healing factor. Wish they'd have done something extra as they did with Wolverine's adamantium-laced skeleton and claws aside from a ludicrous "magic bag o' weapons" and a teleport device. He's an anti-hero and I like that aspect of him, but by creating these dumb magic devices that came from seemingly nowhere coupled with his breaking the fourth wall, he's also an anti-superhero, seemingly a mockery of the entire idea of superheroes. I would think he'd appeal to both superhero fans and to people who think superheroes are dumb, but only to an extent and not fully to either. I'll read a few issues of his ongoing series that started in 2013 and see how I like him.

I'm liking some of the ideas with Deadpool, but I'm skeptical of him fighting heroes without powers beyond the healing factor. Wish they'd have done something extra as they did with Wolverine's adamantium-laced skeleton and claws aside from a ludicrous "magic bag o' weapons" and a teleport device. He's an anti-hero and I like that aspect of him, but by creating these dumb magic devices that came from seemingly nowhere coupled with his breaking the fourth wall, he's also an anti-superhero, seemingly a mockery of the entire idea of superheroes. I would think he'd appeal to both superhero fans and to people who think superheroes are dumb, but only to an extent and not fully to either. I'll read a few issues of his ongoing series that started in 2013 and see how I like him.

What you really want to read is the series from '97. It started out great and ended up total carp. Then they piled the carp on top of itself and gave birth to later series...

There actually may be an explanation as to how he obtained the magic satchel (aside from just finding it in his backyard), and the teleportation device. From what I understand, he's used multiple teleportation devices, not just one, and I think it has something to do with Cable. It's been a while since I've read the comics, but it I bet the explanation can be found in a New Mutants or X-Factor issue.

Isn't there a hardcore Deadpool fan here who knows more about this stuff? I'm curious to know these details as well.

"Deadpool also posesses knowledge that only a comic book reader could know, such as mentioning Mephisto erasing Spider-Man's unmasking from existance, or remembering which comic issue a character last appeared in." - comicvine.com

What a unique character. Maybe there isnt an explanation after all, and maybe that's the point?

"Deadpool also posesses knowledge that only a comic book reader could know, such as mentioning Mephisto erasing Spider-Man's unmasking from existance, or remembering which comic issue a character last appeared in." - comicvine.com

What a unique character. Maybe there isnt an explanation after all, and maybe that's the point?

That is a good point.