• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Preview 4 and 7 -- EBAY SHILLING ON STEROIDS

247 posts in this topic

Agreed. And that was the thrust of my original analysis. To point out that these two books have an inordinate amount of shilling going on right now, and therefore buyer beware. But as other posters have pointed out, these books are only a symptom of a greater disease. :pullhair:

-J.

My goodness, you are dense. :facepalm: What are you basing the "inordinate amount of shilling" conclusion on? Again, a few cherry-picked examples in an ocean of legitimate sales. HA.com just had a MP7 9.2 oww resell for $1650. Why didn't you mention that?

My problem with your post is that it's not objective. You're singling out a few bad apples and saying the whole batch is rotten.

hm pretty sure that CGC 9.0 copy of MP7 that just sold on ebay for a record high of $1900 was the same copy I sold you two weeks ago here on the boards for less than half the amount. Not pointing fingers, just find it a bit fishy...

lol At the current rate of shilling a 9.0 will be "worth" $5,000 by the end of august and a 9.8 will have a "new GPA high" of $25k. :tonofbricks:

-J.

Shilling goes on ALL the time on ebay; whether it's a "hot" item or not; and that's the undisputable truth. I don't know if there's any purpose in calling out any specific auctions or books; we all know it happens.

I can see the OP's point to some extent. The price may be artificially boosted and thus encourage others to believe the value is higher and thus increase the amount they are willing to spend. On the flip side, somebody was actually willing to pay the artificially inflated price (assuming the last bid was not a shill as well); so does that mean there is a new established value? In the end the true value will come out.

Here's an example; I've been wanting an X-Men 1 CGC 5.0 about 15 months now. Plenty of them that go to auction complete at $2700-3000. Yet there are sellers asking $3500-4000 for them and trying to offer me a discount of a couple to few hundred dollars which still puts it over market price. I actually bid an auctioned one up to $3200 or so and lost. The seller contacts me shortly after and says the other guy (shiller) bailed and did I still want to buy the book.

If people continue to pay higher prices for MP4 it will establish a new value.

You can buy it back from the new owner if you want. I'll put you in touch with him (thumbs u

Sure. I think you've lost all credibility here my man.

-J.

Why was credibility lost? Because he bought it for 1/2 the price that it sold for?

Dude, I'm sorry JDR but you are a bit of a SOAP OPERA here despite your silver lining of helpful facts.

- b :foryou: unty

You can buy it back from the new owner if you want. I'll put you in touch with him (thumbs u

-J.

Why was credibility lost? Because he bought it for 1/2 the price that it sold for?

Dude, I'm sorry JDR but you are a bit of a SOAP OPERA here despite your silver lining of helpful facts.

And you actually believe that happened? I have gotten multiple PM's from multiple folks about this thread. Including some from mishmashman. Without getting into too many specifics here let's just say that it is extraordinarily unlikely that that was a legitimate sale. If you would like any more specifics I would refer you back to the title of the thread and you can use your own common sense and make your own determinations.

-J.

-J.

And you actually believe that happened? I have gotten multiple PM's from multiple folks about this thread. Including some from mishmashman. Without getting into too many specifics here let's just say that it is extraordinarily unlikely that that was a legitimate sale. If you would like any more specifics I would refer you back to the title of the thread and you can use your own common sense and make your own determinations.

-J.

Saying that he's lost credibility due to private messages that are not public on the boards makes this a Soap Opera.

I'm being a bit of a here but public allegations due to un-public information is just a bit tacky.

Long story short Caveat Emptor! Don't put your bids in more than your willing to shell. End of that story. :whatev:

I still enjoy your investigation on janky bidding patterns! (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

Saying that he's lost credibility due to private messages that are not public on the boards makes this a Soap Opera.

I'm being a bit of a here but public allegations due to un-public information is just a bit tacky.

Long story short Caveat Emptor! Don't put your bids in more than your willing to shell. End of that story. :whatev:

Sure no problem, it was interesting. Like I said, these books were as good as any to do the analysis. Actually they were easier than most would have been because there are still relatively few bona fide sales results, thus the market is still easy to manipulate.

As far as what's public to make me say mishmashman has lost credibility....

You may have missed it but he has deleted multiple of his posts from this thread. As pointed out by illustrious.

Further, when he was saying that my listed data points were flawed because I did not include the 9.0 ebay "sale", he did not disclose that this was, in fact, his own "sale". That would seem relevant in a thread about ebay shilling.

Again, I leave it to you to draw your own conclusions.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Sure no problem, it was interesting. Like I said, these books were as good as any to do the analysis. Actually they were easier than most would have been because there are still relatively few bona fide sales results, thus the market is still easy to manipulate.

As far as what's public to make me say mishmashman has lost credibility....

You may have missed it but he has deleted multiple of his posts from this thread. As pointed out by illustrious.

Further, when he was saying that my listed data points were flawed because I did not include the 9.0 ebay "sale", he did not disclose that this was, in fact, his own "sale". That would seem relevant in a thread about ebay shilling.

Again, I leave it to you to draw your own conclusions.

-J.

Suspicious. I'm convinced there's something shady going on. I feel like it's weird that Mishmash was so obviously butt-hurt when you brought up those shills, and has been going out of his way to be defensive the last few days. He kept saying stuff like "why are you asking questions? Are you doing the shilling!!??! Then how could you know?!?!"

It seems highly suspicious and if you look at my posts recently, I was actually supporting Mishmash, as I was of the belief that the books weren't being shilled. This is super weird. Not kosher in my mind. He buys the book last week at $800 or $900 (which isn't low by GPA standards) and turns around and sells it for double? In a buy it now auction, no less? People can support it all they want (and that makes me suspicious of them too to be honest, because they seem to willing to overlook the obvious indiscrepancies).

I knew I should have been wary when mishmash pulled out the threat of the libel suit. Sadly, it seems J would have won and got the attorney's fees. Can't get libel for true statements. It's kind of a gotcha situation. Mishmash would've been better off just declaring one of the books was his, instead of getting caught.

I'm not sure why I'm being called out in such an accusatory way (shout out to Jay and Metallicky) except that a sale was made which some of you disbelieve. What did I do wrong exactly? So if it's too far above GPA, it must be fake. There's no other possible explanation. I'm sorry I didn't wave a flag over my sale and publicize it. Failure to do that makes me a shill. Right.

I guess, Jay, I should've accepted your $500 bid on the MP7. Why didn't you tell everyone that you were looking to get copy so that we all knew you weren't going to be unbiased in your so-called wildly_fanciful_statement analysis? Are you still butthurt that I declined? Is that why you started this thread and now have it out for me? Metallicky are you still upset I didn't want to trade an ASM annual 1 for a copy of your overgraded drek? Still fuming that I wouldn't sell you a batman 59 for a few dollars? Is that the root of your vendetta? You'll be lucky if I don't sue you for libel, you little punk.

[

Suspicious. I'm convinced there's something shady going on. I feel like it's weird that Mishmash was so obviously butt-hurt when you brought up those shills, and has been going out of his way to be defensive the last few days. He kept saying stuff like "why are you asking questions? Are you doing the shilling!!??! Then how could you know?!?!"

It seems highly suspicious and if you look at my posts recently, I was actually supporting Mishmash, as I was of the belief that the books weren't being shilled. This is super weird. Not kosher in my mind. He buys the book last week at $800 or $900 (which isn't low by GPA standards) and turns around and sells it for double? In a buy it now auction, no less? People can support it all they want (and that makes me suspicious of them too to be honest, because they seem to willing to overlook the obvious indiscrepancies).

I knew I should have been wary when mishmash pulled out the threat of the libel suit. Sadly, it seems J would have won and got the attorney's fees. Can't get libel for true statements. It's kind of a gotcha situation. Mishmash would've been better off just declaring one of the books was his, instead of getting caught.

Getting caught with what, you clown? Getting caught with a completed sale? I don't know what's dumber. You or the garbage books you tried to pass on to me.

I'm not sure why I'm being called out in such an accusatory way (shout out to Jay and Metallicky) except that a sale was made which some of you disbelieve. What did I do wrong exactly? So if it's too far above GPA, it must be fake. There's no other possible explanation. I'm sorry I didn't wave a flag over my sale and publicize it. Failure to do that makes me a shill. Right.

I guess, Jay, I should've accepted your $500 bid on the MP7. Why didn't you tell everyone that you were looking to get copy so that we all knew you weren't going to be unbiased in your so-called analysis? Are you still butthurt that I declined? Is that why you started this thread and now have it out for me? Metallicky are you still upset I didn't want to trade an ASM annual 1 for a copy of your overgraded drek? Still fuming that I wouldn't sell you a batman 59 for a few dollars? Is that the root of your vendetta? You'll be lucky if I don't sue you for libel, you little punk.

Nice try mishmash. But I haven't bought any comics on eBay in over two years.

For reasons like this. And even if I had, how would that change any of the data points? The evidence remains the same, and the jig is up. I didn't know who you were and all your various ebay usernames and listings for these books when I first started this thread. It was nothing personal. But you took it personally anyway for some reason. Guilty conscience much?

The more you post the more I can glean from which listings have evidently been yours. How many shill accounts do you have on ebay anyway? Seems to me that you're the only one setting "GPA highs" on these books.

Is this something you routinely do, or is this the first time, I'm curious?

How long will you be able to hold off re listing these same books, with their too blurry to make out CGC numbers for an even higher price?

I've said it before and I'll say it again....The people on these boards can decide for themselves whether or not you are an ethical seller. And before you think about suing anybody maybe you should remember that you've called yourself out. I didn't even have to.

-J.

I guess, Jay, I should've accepted your $500 bid on the MP7. Why didn't you tell everyone that you were looking to get copy so that we all knew you weren't going to be unbiased in your so-called analysis? Are you still butthurt that I declined? Is that why you started this thread and now have it out for me? Metallicky are you still upset I didn't want to trade an ASM annual 1 for a copy of your overgraded drek? Still fuming that I wouldn't sell you a batman 59 for a few dollars? Is that the root of your vendetta? You'll be lucky if I don't sue you for libel, you little punk.

For reasons like this. And even if I had, how would that change any of the data points? The evidence remains the same, and the jig is up. I didn't know who you were and all your various ebay usernames and listing for these books when I first started this thread. It was nothing personal. But you took it personally anyway for some reason. Guilty conscience much?

The more you post the more I can glean from which listings have evidently been yours. How many shill accounts do you have on ebay anyway? Seems to me that you're the only one setting "GPA highs" on these books.

How long will you be able to hold off re listing these same books, with their too blurry to make out CGC numbers for an even higher price?

I've said it before and I'll say it again....The people on these boards can decide for themselves whether or not you are an ethical seller. And before you think about suing anybody maybe you should remember that you've called yourself out. I didn't even have to.

-J.

There are some real scumbags on these boards but you are the chief. You think I shill my own books with multiple accounts? You must be high. Go ahead and nominate me for the PL, you little turd. Are you taking medication for your paranoid schizophrenia?

You're not jaydogrules on eBay with 43 feedback who put an offer of 498 on my book? You literally think every GPA high is a shill. Wow. You need to take your meds.

For reasons like this. And even if I had, how would that change any of the data points? The evidence remains the same, and the jig is up. I didn't know who you were and all your various ebay usernames and listing for these books when I first started this thread. It was nothing personal. But you took it personally anyway for some reason. Guilty conscience much?

-J.

There are some real scumbags on these boards but you are the chief. You think I shill my own books with multiple accounts? You must be high. Go ahead and nominate me for the PL, you little turd. Are you taking medication for your paranoid schizophrenia?

You're not jaydogrules on eBay with 43 feedback who put an offer of 498 on my book? You literally think every GPA high is a shill. Wow. You need to take your meds.

No, and no. Although my meticulous attention to detail and patterns may make me mildly OCD, I do not take any medication for it. I will be sure to talk to my shrink about it at my next session though. :boo:

-J.

Hey Jay, here's another new GPA-high sale for an MP4 cgc 9.6. Go conduct a witch hunt on this boardie for shilling his own listing for no other reason than that it's just too high. You .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-9-6-Marvel-Preview-4-First-appearance-of-Starlord-White-pages-/251588949073?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a93deb451

And here's another you creep:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Preview-7-CGC-5-5-OW-W-1st-Rocket-Racoon-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-/291197001084?pt=US_Comic_Magazines&hash=item43ccb19d7c